• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I've Got A Nice Question!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Honestly, I can't help you, my parents smoke and I can't get them to stop. . .My parents, two brother, two sisters, two aunts and two uncles all smoke. It's like they're saying it's ok to smoke(I know it's retarded). . .

I just want them to stop, they're killing themselves. . .

Ryu

an obscene gesture
Pretend to be dead from secondhand smoke. Have the local hospital arrange something.

That is actually a kickass idea, not to mention that you'd be making your point clear.

Get a pack of sigs, smoke a few like when you're sitting at the table or something and pretend you're doing nothing out of the ordinary. If they start something, bring up the facts.

Also, wasn't your dad Catholic or something? If he's hung up on what the bible teaches, you can probably show him a few passages to convince him. If it doesn't work, call him a hypocrite and run for the hills.

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Get a pack of sigs, smoke a few like when you're sitting at the table or something and pretend you're doing nothing out of the ordinary. If they start something, bring up the facts.

1) Where would he get some? Monkey's not 18, gotta be 18 to buy some. Though that's not a hard problem finding an 18+ year old kid to buy some.

2) To be honest, I wouldn't touch a cigarrette. :/ He'd also need someone to tell him how to smoke it. Yes, there's a right and wrong way to smoke them. Yes, I know a little bit but that's because one of my friends smoked and one of my other friends asked if she could light the cig for the smoking friend but the smoking friend said you gotta breath in at the same time and my other friend didn't want to actually smoke it, just light it for her smoking friend. (I have weird friends. x-x)
--This is an kind of unimportant little detail, but whatever.

3) What happens if monkey likes it? Sure, it sounds gross and he sounds against it, but you ever heard the whole "Once you start it's hard to stop"? That's what I'm worried about. Honestly, even one cig's bad for you.

It depends on what your dad likes about smoking. Does he like the nicotine in there? Or is the idea that he's putting smoke into his lungs? If it's just the nicotine rush, get the patch. People are still making them, obviously someone buys them.

I'm not sure of the side affects, there's pry something, but it's better than killing a lung. If anything, maybe if you get him on the patch, he'll stop smoking, and sooner or later just not want the patch anymore.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
If he honestly needed to know how to smoke a cig, he could just watch his dad smoke, then copy him. . .it wouldn't be that hard. . .

But I don't suggest doing it in the first place. . .

Ryu

an obscene gesture
kairigirl said:
1) Where would he get some? Monkey's not 18, gotta be 18 to buy some. Though that's not a hard problem finding an 18+ year old kid to buy some.
O psh, he can easily get some of his dad's while he isn't looking, or like you said get someone else to do it. Besides, I don't know about the US, but there are enough stores here that don't mind a customer being a few years under 16, regardless of law; or in your case 18.

"Once you start it's hard to stop" doesn't apply to 2-ish cigarettes. I only had one in my life just to see what it's like, and because it felt uber hardcore at the time, but haven't touched one since.

I am under the impression that most people do it because it's become a habit, and they know that if you try to stop, your body simply won't like it. And because most of the time smoking doesn't pose any immediate dangers, they see no direct reason to stop. However most do see reason to advise others to never start, so if monkey would act as if he's simply imitating his dad, maybe that will affect his opinion on his own habits.

As for patches; heard several smokers say that it doesn't work, and it makes sense. Through smoking, the nicotine is administered through a different way than by the use of patches, a way that the smoker is used to. Even if your body gets the regular dosis of nicotine like it used to, it won't be the same and there will be certain psychological effects rather than physical. That sounds like the most logical explanation to me, but then I'm not an expert. Then there's always getting rid of the habit in itself. Not lighting one during a break, saying no when a friend offers one, etc.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
I'm happy that Busch Stadium passed the rule that you can't smoke in the stadium.

My dad will have to choose, either watch the game or go down into the parking lot and smoke :) . . .So all we need to do is get season passes and go to EVERY game. . .that might work . . .lol. .

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
^Local city passed a public smoking ban. No smoking in public places. I don't smoke so I didn't care to learn much about it.

Hence bringing me to Ryu. I don't know many people that do smoke nor wished to quit. I just kind of tend to think things through too much. I just don't want monkey starting something up he shouldn't be.

Either way, the best suggestion is the "play dead" one. That sounds like it'd hit best.

DrBanxon

Styles Upon Styles
Find the nearest cliff and drag him over to it.
Stand at the edge with one of his packs and threaten to jump off the cliff if he dosen't stop.
If he says okay, good, you win.
If you ever see him smoking again, PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE.
If he says no at the cliff, JUMP.
Make sure to be killed instantaniously on impact.

Or, you could pretend to die, but that one's not as realistic.

Electropop

What would you do for a Klondak Bar
Website
www.myspace.com
Starvouse?!?! YOU FROM St.LOUIS!??????

Monkey, I face this problem with my Father, who does have one crappy heart. Do what i do.

Bribe him. =/

Find out if theres a game he loves

And try to get tickets, if he smokes one ciggerate during the time you buy it or present it to him, he wont be able to go to the game, sell the ticket to his best friend.

That pist my dad. XD

Darkness Princess

Paper Bag Heaven
I got my dad to stop smoking by constantly nagging him about it and complaining about how he was messing up my brothers and my lungs with the secondhand smoke, when he used to ignore me I'd steal his cigarettes and lighter/matches and burn them in the garden while he was watching ^^. That worked coz after a few months of that he stopped and now he hasnt touched a cigarette in three years.

pk para

First off, don't start smoking for w/e reason. Some people are addicted the first go.

Go to one of the many anti-smoking sites and look up all of the facts that he probably doesn't want to hear ($'s, health effects.... ect). Then ask him if he still want's to smoke.

If he says he doesn't, help him. He smokes, make him stop (forcefully or otherwise ;]).

If he says no, do something like the following (decide whichever one you'd do first; people are different and some things mean more to them than others).

1 ~ Force. You see him smoking? Stop him whether he's willing or not. While he's not looking, nab his smoking gear and burn/trash it. Although, you don't have to be drastic. I wouldn't suggest doing any of the above to people who get [physically] angry really easily.

2 ~ Rewards (bribes). Do the ticket thing. It sounded like a good idea. You know, something to make him want to quit. Not the kind of here's 2$, quit smoking, but the here's fun in the sun with family and friends, quit smoking.

3 ~ (the last thing I could think of) Rejection. Pretend he isn't there when he's smoking. Who knows, it might get to 'em.

P.S. Try to get more than one person asking him to quit, it has more of an effect that way.

Hope I've helped somewhat =].

Davy Jones

I Believe In Harvey Dent
Website
crashkid77.deviantart.com
You could twist a conversation until it annoys him into submission. For instance:

"Son, you shouldn't go on the forums. They're wasting your life."

"Dad, you shouldn't smoke. It's wasting your life."

Other than that, all I can offer is that he should call in for some Smoke Away.

- The above, helpful or not (sorry!) was brought to you by Dr. Crashkid77, your friendly neighborhood Davy Jones fanatic... with a PhD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back