• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is the Next KH Game Going To Use Command Deck or Command Menu?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NewChallenger

I recently heard a rumor that the Osaka Team was planning on using the Command Deck for KH3. However, Tetsuya Nomura decided against it for a more "traditional" playstyle. I prefer the Command Menu over the Command Deck, but I know many prefer the latter. There's also the option of a completely different style of gameplay: KH Re:CoM, 358/2 Days, and Union X.

My question is what would you prefer to see?

A. Command Menu (KH1, KH2, KH3)
B. Command Deck (BBS, Re:Coded, DDD)
C. Miscellaneous (Re:CoM, 358/2 Days, Union X)
D. All of the above (Three Different Playable Characters)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
A new version of the Command Deck. KH3 was initially going to be a Command Deck system so I am almost certain Osaka wants to use it again at some point.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
A new version of the Command Deck. KH3 was initially going to be a Command Deck system so I am almost certain Osaka wants to use it again at some point.

I'm honestly more of a fan of the Command Deck style. I prefer Birth by Sleep's style, what with the fusing to produce new Commands and the melding of synthesize items in order to gather new abilities.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I personally usually prefer the Command Deck seeing it allows more customization and the usage of some of the cooler moves, also as BBS and 3D showed it lets you diversify the move sets of characters more easily.

However I do feel like KH3's Command Menu is the best it has been in the series, so I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them reuse and evolve that too, the shortcut menu having three pages really made a difference.
Maybe non-numbers can continue using the command deck and numbered games can continue using the command menu.

I definitely don't think it'd be wise to have both or multiple systems in one game. It'd be confusing and a bigger pain to develop I'd imagine.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
If it's Sora, then use Command Menu. If it's anyone else, then whatever. All I care is that Sora always used the Command Menu.

EternalDream

If it's Sora, then use Command Menu. If it's anyone else, then whatever. All I care is that Sora always used the Command Menu.

Except in CoM, Re:Coded and DDD, the latter two of which had Command Decks.
So yeah...

Personally I'm fine with either - though if we get Command Decks, please make them be like Re:Coded (arguable the best iteration of that gameplay style in my opinion) or at the very least closer to BBS. DDD's command deck was a bit of a mess.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Except in CoM, Re:Coded and DDD, the latter two of which had Command Decks.
So yeah...

Personally I'm fine with either - though if we get Command Decks, please make them be like Re:Coded (arguable the best iteration of that gameplay style in my opinion) or at the very least closer to BBS. DDD's command deck was a bit of a mess.

Well I meant main title games.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
With the three pages of shortcuts, I was expecting more magic options. I was expecting command deck style moves that would be equipable to the shortcut menu and use MP

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Neither, it'll be played entirely with voice commands.

Kuroboshi

I think the command deck is better than the menu. With the menu i only use the attack option because i put the magic/item/summon on shortcut. We don't really need all those options to me it just take place for nothing. It would be better to just have a command deck, at least i would use every options possible.

But i really liked the command menu from KH3 because i thought the reaction commands were a good idea. So i wouldn't mind that coming back.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm super glad none of us are in charge of making these games

I mean you said you want command deck to never happen again and Osaka gets a lot of leniency on what they can do on the non-numbered projects. The command deck is their brain child and something they wanted to use for KH3, so it’s not like the odds are in your favor.

2 quid is good

Awards
I mean you said you want command deck to never happen again and Osaka gets a lot of leniency on what they can do on the non-numbered projects. The command deck is their brain child and something they wanted to use for KH3, so it’s not like the odds are in your favor.

True enough, but hey, if the next spinoff is another sub par command deck game then at least I have vindication?

Man, I really hope that KH will be under Tokyo again if Osaka team do pull this. But eh. Clearly I'm outnumbered here

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
True enough, but hey, if the next spinoff is another sub par command deck game then at least I have vindication?

Man, I really hope that KH will be under Tokyo again if Osaka team do pull this. But eh. Clearly I'm outnumbered here

I don't like bringing this up but not all of the Tokyo staff are at SE anymore since its been 15 years since KH2 released lol.

Also, Tokyo is set to focus on the FF7R project until it is finished. Osaka is the de-facto KH team now. What Tokyo staff did end up working on KH3 were put back onto FF7R after development wrapped or had long since transferred to Osaka years ago that the difference doesn't even matter.

I mean...people like command deck so it being sub-par is more of an opinion than a fact. In my opinion both have their pros and cons, but I prefer command deck for non-numbered titles and command menu for numbered titles. If anything what they should so is combine the simplicity of the command menu with the variety of spells and attack abilities of the command deck into something new.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I am a fan of both Command Menu and Command Deck. I share Nomura's vision that mainline KH games should be Command Menu, while non-mainline should be Command Deck, though I am open to the idea of a mainline title having Command Deck. And I concur with Spock, Command Deck is Osaka's child, and they've been nurturing it and making it better with each entry that they produce. Seeing as how Nomura wants to make another game before KH4 (or whatever he ends up calling it), I'm sure he'll give the team the OK to reimplement Command Deck. And who knows what sort of stuff they can pull now after working with Command Menu? The ideas and possibilities. I am rather curious to see what they can do.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I guess the recurrence of the Command Deck is another reason to hate the likelihood of more side games. I'd rather play with cards again than the deck.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
The more I think about it the more I wish that they'd find a way to bridge the gap and marry the two command systems. Like Ven_Roxas mentioned they could have included Command Deck like moves in the shortcut list, similar to the limits in Limit Form, to spice up the available options.

I don't mind the notion of command decks being for non-numbered entries and menu being for the numbered one, as long as they try and keep improving on them. While in the past the command menu felt like a clusterfest where you had all the options but besides the attack and your 3/4 shortcut moves non-were viable mid combat, KH3 fixed that by offering more shortcuts for quick access while in a fight.

Back