• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Sora at his most happiest in DDD? *spoilers*

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernsey

Awards
There was a listening to a reviewer where he mentions an interesting theory about Sora and his personality in DDD. I am not sure if people have heard this theory before but the reviewer mentioned that reason for Sora is at his most happiest now that he has friends back and there is no reason for him to worry too much now that his friends are around. I'll admit that I did not Sora's portrayal in DDD as he seems to be a somewhat exaggerated version of himself but that theory really puts things into perspective for me. When you look at Sora at first glance, he seems almost perpetually happy in most of the KH games as his character is reminiscent of happy-go-lucky Disney heroes but a closer reading of the previous games made me realize that wasn't always the happy-go-lucky shonen protagonist that I had imagined him to be. It is implied that the events of the previous games have taken their toll on hero and it was only until recently that Sora had truly felt free to be really be himself only to have that snatched by Master Xehanort and his machinations. I'll admit that I really didn't Sora that much credit but do you guys think that Sora is at his most happiest in DDD?

moonstar_xo

For the most part I would say that this theory holds up pretty well. I do think that Sora is much more upset about failing the Mark of Mastery exam than he is letting on, so I think the happiness he showed at the end of DDD is, at least somewhat, just an act.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
It's a nice reading, but I still think his character was just dumbed down to fit his new shtick of being the Messiah.
He's at his dumbest in DDD.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Yeah, the world isn't currently coming to an end, all his friends are alive and accounted for... there's no reason for Sora to be worried or angsty til the Norts show up. ... Granted, that's almost immediately...

It's a nice reading, but I still think his character was just dumbed down to fit his new shtick of being the Messiah.
He's at his dumbest in DDD.

The circumstances might justify Sora's attitude but I think this is probably the most likely answer as to why he was written like that. A shame too, because even the Bible Messiah had moments of doubt, sorrow, and apprehension towards his intended purpose and didn't act like a happy-go-lucky moron...

Awards
A shame too, because even the Bible Messiah had moments of doubt, sorrow, and apprehension towards his intended purpose and didn't act like a happy-go-lucky moron...
Sora has had those types of moments. Most notably after finding out the Organization was using him to collect hearts. "Maybe all we've done, maybe it was all for nothing"

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
He certainly was at his happiest since he had finally found his friends, made it back home, and for the most part the universe was at peace. There was a lot more at play there besides Sora being drunk on happiness, though.

Sora was overconfident and too trusting in the idea that he was just "taking a test". He let his confidence blind him, even when his enemies were pretty much hitting him over the head with the truth. That overconfidence made him foolish, and his inability to take the test 100% serious made him ignorant.

In KH1 Sora was rarely happy. Exuberant and hopeful, yes, but he was constantly worrying about his friends and was still slowly learning about how friendship is important. He exhibits a great deal of mental and emotional intelligence throughout KH1, in fact, and also shows a great range of emotions.

In CoM we see Sora slowly shift into this angry person with a singular focus. Despite that being something that happened because of Namine's meddling, I think it shows how when you strip Sora of the things he learned before CoM, he has the potential to be easily blinded by negative emotions.

KH2 is really where Sora's character sort of started going astray. He's too happy-go-lucky while also being too quick to anger. There are brief moments where he shows more complex emotions like confusion, sorrow, and hopelessness but they are brief. This is why many people (myself included) choose to read that as Sora having been upset most of KH2 but actively chose to put on a happy face and take things as they happened. (y'know...since Nojima couldn't manage to write a coherent story, we have to try and add context somewhere to make sense of things)

KH3D Sora, in the end, is really an extension of the Sora they developed in KH2 when you take all of his emotional struggles out of the window.

SoulXaldin

Awards
I'm not exactly sure if Sora's development as a character is relative to time, but I can come up with a reason why Sora is the way he is in KH2 and beyond. His personality in that game is an extension of himself from the first game. Since Namine essentially wiped all of his memories of the events at Castle Oblivion, he has no recollection of what happened and therefore, it's like CoM never happened. I believe that Sora developed more as a character during the events of that game. He displayed a small but noticeable sense of maturity because it seems like he deals with something more heavy because Namine becomes his top priority and all of a sudden, he goes all serious because he's put in a situation without much respite because he's bent on saving Namine. I might be repeating myself here, but the point is, Sora becomes a little serious. And because basically CoM never happened and he spent an entire year in a catatonic state, the result is an older Sora who still carries over much of his personality from the first game. So in addition to being slightly immature, he still retains much of the exuberance and charisma from his younger self and that's amped up by the gratification he gets from being together with his friends at the end of KH2. With no burden on his shoulders, he becomes happy-go-lucky about the whole Xehanort situation later on because since he basically marked almost every Organization XIII member, he believes that he can effectively deal with this situation, too. My reasoning maybe be flawed in this statement, but that's, like, my opinion on the whole "Sora being happy in 3D" topic.

Guernsey

Awards
It seems a large majority problems I had with Sora in KH2 and DDD seems to stem from bad writing but I really like the intent behind it. Sora was more or less broken in KH2 and in DDD, Sora is more or less content with his life until Xehanort sprung his trap due Sora's own overconfidence.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Overconfidence and Ignorance of Xehanort's true power certainly played a role in how Sora acted throughout DDD.
In Sora's eyes, being named an official master or not is unimportant as he stated to Yen Sid. He has both Riku and King Mickey at his side now plus Donald and Goofy so he thinks even if Xehanort does come back they can kick him right back into the abyss together.
He has fought both Ansem SoD and Xemnas without having both Riku and Mickey present and thus may think he knows the extent of Xehanort's power, and with both Riku and the King available now plus Yen Sid himself he may actually expect it to be a "walk in the park" this time, not realizing until he's already firmly fallen into the elaborate trap laid out that Master Xehanort is certainly a step higher on the threat scale than Ansem SoD and Xemnas individually were.

Young Xehanort apparently gets quite some amusement out of how slow-witted Sora is throughout DDD just like Joshua does.

Roxas "shared" his pain with Sora. WHY ISN'T SORA DREADING XEHANORT MORE? ESPECIALLY IF HE SHARES VEN'S HURT!

Considering Sora's outburst after the scene with Roxas plus him chewing out both Xigbar and Xemnas I'd say he at least despises them even more than before.

In Roxas' case, while everything somehow relates back to Xehanort in the end, the people primarily/immediately responsible for Roxas' individual pain are Xemnas, Xigbar (who he does call out), DiZ/Ansem the Wise, Riku and to a certain extent Naminé.

Now Ventus certainly has most if not all of his hurt tied directly to Xehanort (and Vanitas to an extent, but Vanitas is like he is also because of MX), but unlike Roxas who specifically showed Sora everything via "memory-movie" so far we don't know if Sora even knows any specifics of Ventus' pain.
Yes, through their close connection Sora can feel the intensity of Ventus' pain (in BBS it made him cry involuntary after all), but so far he only knows that this pain exists, not what it is about.

Then there's of course also the issue that so far Sora never met the present "main" Xehanort face-to-face anyways, only the time-travelling Young Xehanort.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I never reallly thought about it, but it's true that DDD is the first game where Sora doesn't have a clearly-defined external reason to be worried/angry/sad. I don't think 3D is his nadir at all, personally; putting more thought into it, perhaps they wanted the character to be this happy and go-lucky throughout to make the hard left turn at the end even more unexpected and dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back