• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Re: Coded important to the storyline?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
True but you neglect the fact that lets say the game is important. All the game establishes is
-The letter
-Contents of said letter
CUT SCENE MATERIAL!
And as I've already pointed out, numerous times, in this thread, it does more than that too.

Most of us were...thats why were syaing its not important as it can be skipped since it tells us very little.
Problem is: It is important. It may not drastically unhinge your understanding of the series if you were to skip it, but it IS still important.

Eceryone has based there opinions on the players ability to be WITHOUT the game.
Everyone else has been arguing something that was never important at all. The question was if Re:Coded was important to the storyline. Truly, that has nothing to do with the players ability to be without the game, because, regardless, the game IS important to the storyline.

Yes there is its called KH1 and KH2
Not exceptions. KH2 alone shows how KH1 isn't an exception as the entirety of the storyline is summed up in KH2's intro vid.

OH ALLISTER MY QUEEN IN SHINING ARMOR! saves me yet again
Oh boy, this alone should denounce your opinions.

Captain Garlock

Did I ever tell you I love red?

Naaa if anything it strengths them as I believe in that girl 100 percent.
Even if you dont because at the end of the day she may ignore my obvious attempts at her affection but I wiill still try.
<3

ets agree coded is important to the storyine for those who want EXTRA detailed story teling. Deal?

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Eceryone has based there opinions on the players ability to be WITHOUT the game.

Hey speak for youself. I have tried to denounce your flaky points with more concrete points supporting my opinion that Coded was important, but honestly, I simply do not have the patience like dear HeartSeams here to run around in circles with you all.

Maybe, maybe if I thought there was a chance that someone (either those saying Coded is important, or those saying it is not) would be swayed by the others argument, then I might've stayed. But I swear this thread has ran more circles than. . . whatever

OH ALLISTER MY QUEEN IN SHINING ARMOR! saves me yet again

It's times like these I really wish we still had rep.

griever

Someone's started a flame war, take cover!

I haven't even played Coded, and I can guess that it's going to be important. You could say 358/2 Days wasn't important because all plot development was concerned with only that game, and didn't add to other aspects of the KH franchise. But that's only if plot's the only thing that's important, and you wouldn't be wrong for feeling that way, just because it's a personal choice.

But as we stand, without Coded, Sora and Co. do not know a single thing about VAT. They don't know what they did, where they are now, or why it matters. Coded (as I am lead to believe) gets those guys informed. It saves us spending the first couple hours of KHIII setting this up for the gang, where we could be spending those first few hours establishing the conflicts that KHIII is going to be about.

I think in terms of importance, you'll probably find that it will be like any other sequel. You could kinda figure out what happened by playing the game that comes after it, and filling in the blanks, or you could get that info first hand while you play the game.

It's kinda more to do with your priorities than anything else.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
All coded does is show what the letter said which can be inferred from interviews or even playing BBS.

Without Coded, characters such as Mickey, Sora, Riku and Kairi would not know about what happened in BbS. So, without Coded, the characters and unresolved plotlines in BbS could not appear in future games.

BbS did NOT clear it up. Without Coded, people would be all "how come Mickey suddenly knew about TAV? If he knew, why didn't he bring it up ages ago?? Wtf is this plot hole."

So the BBS ending does not do that?

No, it does not. Again, without Coded, people would be all "how come Mickey suddenly knew about TAV? If he knew, why didn't he bring it up ages ago?? Wtf is this plot hole."

As far as setting up for new games what? Im sorry but it does not BBS does that.

Without Coded, characters such as Mickey, Sora, Riku and Kairi would not know about what happened in BbS. So, without Coded, the characters and unresolved plotlines in BbS could not appear in future games.

:D

Yeah and this whole game couldnt have been told in multiple cutscenes like Days? You must think you have a gem here.

Hang on, you just said that BBS already said everything making Coded irrelevant. So why are you now saying the story should have been told in cutscenes? Are you admitting that the events that happen in Coded are actually necessary for the series to move forwards...?

I dont think people care about the letter as the letter is obvious at the end of BBS.

I cared about the letter. I've been waiting to hear what was in that letter since the end of KH2 years ago. And at the end of BBS, we don't find out what's in the letter, nor do we find out how Mickey randomly remembered about TAV at such a convenient time.

Obviously coded was not needed as again you could assume fromt hat ending that Sora knew people were calling out to him. That you can infer. Going by codeds tagline "Free them from there torment" you can ASSUME that that adventure is directly related tot he events of the BBS special ending.

Do you realise how many people complain that in KH2 and Days, all the interesting plot happens off screen, left to assumptions and inferences? So they make a game where the we actually get to play for ourselves the type of interesting side story usually relegated to cut scenes... I for one am not going to complain.

As for bringing up coded's tagline... if you say coded shouldn't be a game, why bring up the tagline at all? You wouldn't be ASSUMING anything, if it didn't exist.

It would like any other KH games where characters spawn random knowledge of things.

Geez, you must be one of the only people out there who actually don't want Nomura to improve on his storytelling skills...

So basically your saying YOU could not infer from the BBS special ending what coded was about? Im starting to this this is about your inference skills..

Hang on, you figured out from the BBS ending that when Namine was fixing Sora's heart, she found Ven's heart inside him? And that she left a message to Mickey in the journal about it? Cause wow, you must be more than simply good at inferring, you must be psychic.

But as we stand, without Coded, Sora and Co. do not know a single thing about VAT. They don't know what they did, where they are now, or why it matters. Coded (as I am lead to believe) gets those guys informed. It saves us spending the first couple hours of KHIII setting this up for the gang, where we could be spending those first few hours establishing the conflicts that KHIII is going to be about.

I think in terms of importance, you'll probably find that it will be like any other sequel. You could kinda figure out what happened by playing the game that comes after it, and filling in the blanks, or you could get that info first hand while you play the game.

It's kinda more to do with your priorities than anything else.

This. I'm not saying that everyone absolutely has to play the game, or even that it couldn't have been done in cutscenes instead. But to say that the events in the game are already covered in BBS and therefore the plot of the game is pointless is downright stupid.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
You guys need to let this debate go. Yes some KH games aren't nearly as important but the whole point of the cutscenes is for us to enjoy them, the secret endings always hype everyone up wanting to know more. Some cutscenes are important so we know more.

Kingdom hearts the another side another story, including the part where Sora, Donald, and goofy go off following pluto.
Kingdom hearts re:chain of memories who the boy was at the end, and what happen to Sora an Riku.
Kingdom hearts 2 the letter and what happen with the organization 13, knowing who Ansem really was, including the nobodies.
Kingdom hearts 358/2days everyone wanted to know who the fourteenth was, an know more about what Roxas did during his time in the organization 13.
Kingdom hearts BBS the ending that was shown in KH2 everyone had theory's going on for so long to come up with who they were an what they had to do with the series.
So my point is how many of you wanted to know what went on during some of these games? How many of you wanted to know who the fourteenth was or what happen in BBS? Sure some of the cutscenes in most weren't worth are time but they all connect to each other. Sure I got both 358/2 days and BBS even though one was a side game an the other was a prequel to the series. But they explained things we wanted to know.

So for Coded, it may just be a side game and some scenes may not be important. But for those of us who want to know an play the game to know what happens, it won't matter to us if its worth playing or not. Even if its a side game I wouldn't care because I like KH. Sure some things may be explained in the other KH games but to know more those of us who want to know what the letter actually says an how things came to be, will want to play this game.

An for those who think its not important that's fine, it doesn't even have to be that important to the series. And if your tired of playing KH knowing pointless things, that were already explained in the others, then why do you keep playing Kingdom hearts for? Why does Coded matter to you, if you think it's pointless or not important? Why even debate on this? :) but I don't see the point in why we keep debating over this any longer, we know how you feel about Coded, an no matter how many times we go over this neither side is going to win this one. Lol I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, I'm just telling you what I think on the whole matter, so therefore I'm done.

Sacred X

Freshmeat

I'm not saying that everyone absolutely has to play the game, or even that it couldn't have been done in cutscenes instead. But to say that the events in the game are already covered in BBS and therefore the plot of the game is pointless is downright stupid.

Glad I saw that part. The main thing about Coded is it doesn't reveal any major plot-twisting turn of events, it simply let's Mickey know what we already knew (and others by extension), which is probably what most of these people mean to say.

griever

This. I'm not saying that everyone absolutely has to play the game, or even that it couldn't have been done in cutscenes instead. But to say that the events in the game are already covered in BBS and therefore the plot of the game is pointless is downright stupid.

That's really not what I meant :S I meant, everyone has two choices. They can play Coded, and get all of it's info first hand while they enjoy the game. Or, they can skip coded, and find out what happens in Coded based on what happens in KHIII (like what I first did with CoM and KHII), saving them some money and some time.

Different people, with different priorities (emphasis on plot, character development, money, time etc.) will pick one or the other, and neither of them would be wrong for doing it.

I most certainly do not believe that BBS's events go anywhere near covering the plot of Coded. They're two different games covering two different, but associated plots.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Right it's just a side game really, and I know that's what everyone is trying to say
it simply let's Mickey know what we already knew (and others by extension),
that it doesn't reveal much so I understand what there saying but still..

you know what I'm not going to even start this all over again, lol lets just leave this debate as it is.

I agreed with Griever on his post above me. So everyone should get the point of what the post above me says. :)

Last edited:

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Wow, thanks guys I finally have something to look forward rather than the ending and gameplay.

Jakek9

Wow you guys.

I say EVERY game is important to the plot. Why? Because it's PART of the plot. IF you can deal without the story then great. Whether important to you or not is simply opinion. Whether you care for the full story is also another opinion. But every game is important, its just others are more important then the smaller side games such as Days, and Re: Coded.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Do people only read Harry Potter books for the final few chapter plot reveals? A lot of people read them because they love the characters and are interested in the shit that happens throughout the book, not just what is revealed in the end. It seems a majority of KH fans have now only become interested in the ends. The reveals. The twists. And yet, a large part of the fandom bitches about how the characters in KH are frequently becoming less important due to said plot twists and reveals. So then, Nomura gives a game that is largely character based (hint: this is Re:Coded) and then fans only manage to bitch about -that-. It's ridiculous.

Coded is a good character-driven story. No, it doesn't answer a zillion mysteries or put forth a zillion plot twist or have some last minute reveal that shakes everything to its core, but it IS a solid story, that IS important to the overall series. Is it necessary for everyone to play it? No. Might be surprising, but really, no game in this series is required in order to play a different one. Many people played KH2 without playing KH1 and CoM, for example. Sure, playing all the games gives someone a bigger understanding of the plot--and this remains true for Coded as well--but no game is actually required.

If someone needs to know about TAV to understand KH3 then you can bet that it will be covered in KH3 to the required extent. You may not know everything, but you'd get all that you'd need. This is shown in KH2, when Nami briefly explains who she is, her connection with Sora, and why he is sleeping. You get the info that is required to understand KH2. Do you get everything about what happened in CoM? No, of course not. But you get what you need. The same will hold true for BBS when it comes to KH3.

So, no game is required to play another game.

With that out of the way, what Coded does do is help with the series storytelling. As goldpanner pointed out, if Coded truly was skipped, you can bet people would be saying all of those things. "How did Mickey even find out? Why now? etc." So, instead of leaving that as an untold gap in the storyline (like much of what happens in KH2), Nomura decided to flesh it out, so we could see HOW Mickey did this, WHY now, etc.

And, as I've said before, the letter is not all there is to Coded either. It also reveals the specifics of people's torments, and that they need saving, etc. It's more than just the letter. It's about providing a character-based story. Some people might not like that. Like in LOST, some people believed the show was about the "Mysteries", and some believed it was about the "Characters". But either way, it doesn't make Coded any less important to the overall series no matter what side you're on, if you like it or not. Coded is what it is. They've already made the game. The time's been spent. Now, you can either appreciate it for what it is, or simply not buy it. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Honestly, when I think about Coded, I think about this one quote of Nomura's which makes perfect sense to me:
—You can’t tell us you’re not going to make the story between “Birth By Sleep” and “KHI” in some form!
NOMURA:
I think you can more or less predict what happens in between ‘Birth by Sleep’ and ‘KHI’ now. However, this time you could probably imagine what would happen to Terra in the end, but I think when you personally experience it in the game, it can still make you feel something. Even when you know about something, I think there’s significance in depicting it, so that may also be made clear at some point.

This largely holds true for Coded. I don't know about you, but when I see the cutscene with Sora looking over Riku's lifeless body as it is being devoured by data bugs and we can SEE the amount of hurt in Sora's face--I feel something with that. I find Coded to be a very emotionally-grounded story. Some people might not like that though.

In the end, Coded is important to the series. Like every game, it isn't really required for you to play it to play the next one, you'll have a better understanding of the series as a whole, but it isn't required. If you want to play it, then do. If you -can- play it, I don't see why you'd not want to, especially when the gameplay alone looks amazing. But, in the end, it will be largely subjective whether or not you believe it is crucial to YOUR understanding of the series.

Without a doubt though, Coded IS important, no matter how you slice it.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Right, no matter how you slice it will still be important because it is a kingdom hearts game. If you don't think it is then that's fine. The way I see it is it will all lead to an Epic ending of the series when it is over. And it will make you wish there was more, I like feeling the emotions the characters feel, I like seeing an actual friendship, the things they go through is what makes it a great game.

I think those of you who care only for the endings or plot have forgotten why this series is so amazing. And it may just be a side game to some of you that isn't worth playing. But for those of us who still remember why we play this series, will be happy to play Coded to go through the game fighting data bugs, seeing what happens to characters we won't ever forget about. Even if it turns out not to be that great of a game, at least we will know what goes on in the game, knowing that much more that will make us want the next KH game. :)

I haven't played Coded, so I want to see the whole story myself. I know the letter, the journals, will all be in there. And to enjoy the battle system fighting the data bugs.

SogeUsopp114

Awards
sitting with you know who in the realm of darkness
Right, no matter how you slice it will still be important because it is a kingdom hearts game. If you don't think it is then that's fine. The way I see it is it will all lead to an Epic ending of the series when it is over. And it will make you wish there was more, I like feeling the emotions the characters feel, I like seeing an actual friendship, the things they go through is what makes it a great game.

I think those of you who care only for the endings or plot have forgotten why this series is so amazing. And it may just be a side game to some of you that isn't worth playing. But for those of us who still remember why we play this series, will be happy to play Coded to go through the game fighting data bugs, seeing what happens to characters we won't ever forget about. Even if it turns out not to be that great of a game, at least we will know what goes on in the game, knowing that much more that will make us want the next KH game. :)

I haven't played Coded, so I want to see the whole story myself. I know the letter, the journals, will all be in there. And to enjoy the battle system fighting the data bugs.
exactly why this game is worth playing

Sacred X

Freshmeat
Lol, blindsided fans are a riot. Most of Coded plot-wise is about as important as the Disney worlds in CoM, and somewhat KH2. If you find those extremely relevant to the KH plot, then you've won that debate.

It's also true the main (and only?) connection Coded gives to a later game is allowing Mickey to know about TAV. So it doesn't reveal anything new in the least, it simply allows King Mickey to learn about TAV, and others by extension. If you find that completely worth making a game for, then you've won that debate as well.

It seems Re:Coded will have to rely on its gameplay more than anything else (I repeat, more than anything else; emphasis on the "more"). Seems to be more of a game for diehard fans for the most part.

And for the strongly dedicated fans out there upset about any slight Coded bashing, a plot that has little use for future games (aside from Mickey gaining some knowledge) doesn't necessarily mean a bad game. No one is saying that.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
as important as the Disney worlds in CoM
I never realized that the CoM Worlds had the same importance as connecting BBS to the present and thus making it relevant to the future of the series

So it doesn't reveal anything new in the least
Yes, it does.

Here, reposting this because I think you missed it:

Do people only read Harry Potter books for the final few chapter plot reveals? A lot of people read them because they love the characters and are interested in the shit that happens throughout the book, not just what is revealed in the end. It seems a majority of KH fans have now only become interested in the ends. The reveals. The twists. And yet, a large part of the fandom bitches about how the characters in KH are frequently becoming less important due to said plot twists and reveals. So then, Nomura gives a game that is largely character based (hint: this is Re:Coded) and then fans only manage to bitch about -that-. It's ridiculous.

Coded is a good character-driven story. No, it doesn't answer a zillion mysteries or put forth a zillion plot twist or have some last minute reveal that shakes everything to its core, but it IS a solid story, that IS important to the overall series. Is it necessary for everyone to play it? No. Might be surprising, but really, no game in this series is required in order to play a different one. Many people played KH2 without playing KH1 and CoM, for example. Sure, playing all the games gives someone a bigger understanding of the plot--and this remains true for Coded as well--but no game is actually required.

If someone needs to know about TAV to understand KH3 then you can bet that it will be covered in KH3 to the required extent. You may not know everything, but you'd get all that you'd need. This is shown in KH2, when Nami briefly explains who she is, her connection with Sora, and why he is sleeping. You get the info that is required to understand KH2. Do you get everything about what happened in CoM? No, of course not. But you get what you need. The same will hold true for BBS when it comes to KH3.

So, no game is required to play another game.

With that out of the way, what Coded does do is help with the series storytelling. As goldpanner pointed out, if Coded truly was skipped, you can bet people would be saying all of those things. "How did Mickey even find out? Why now? etc." So, instead of leaving that as an untold gap in the storyline (like much of what happens in KH2), Nomura decided to flesh it out, so we could see HOW Mickey did this, WHY now, etc.

And, as I've said before, the letter is not all there is to Coded either. It also reveals the specifics of people's torments, and that they need saving, etc. It's more than just the letter. It's about providing a character-based story. Some people might not like that. Like in LOST, some people believed the show was about the "Mysteries", and some believed it was about the "Characters". But either way, it doesn't make Coded any less important to the overall series no matter what side you're on, if you like it or not. Coded is what it is. They've already made the game. The time's been spent. Now, you can either appreciate it for what it is, or simply not buy it. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Honestly, when I think about Coded, I think about this one quote of Nomura's which makes perfect sense to me:
—You can’t tell us you’re not going to make the story between “Birth By Sleep” and “KHI” in some form!
NOMURA:
I think you can more or less predict what happens in between ‘Birth by Sleep’ and ‘KHI’ now. However, this time you could probably imagine what would happen to Terra in the end, but I think when you personally experience it in the game, it can still make you feel something. Even when you know about something, I think there’s significance in depicting it, so that may also be made clear at some point.

This largely holds true for Coded. I don't know about you, but when I see the cutscene with Sora looking over Riku's lifeless body as it is being devoured by data bugs and we can SEE the amount of hurt in Sora's face--I feel something with that. I find Coded to be a very emotionally-grounded story. Some people might not like that though.

In the end, Coded is important to the series. Like every game, it isn't really required for you to play it to play the next one, you'll have a better understanding of the series as a whole, but it isn't required. If you want to play it, then do. If you -can- play it, I don't see why you'd not want to, especially when the gameplay alone looks amazing. But, in the end, it will be largely subjective whether or not you believe it is crucial to YOUR understanding of the series.

Without a doubt though, Coded IS important, no matter how you slice it.

Sacred X

Freshmeat
I never realized that the CoM Worlds had the same importance as connecting BBS to the present and thus making it relevant to the future of the series

Yes, it does.

Here, reposting this because I think you missed it:

I could reply to that wall of text (I did read it, mind you), but based on the last few pages, it's pointless. Stop concentrating on the negativity, k? No one's bashing the game as a whole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back