• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Kingdom Hearts Writing bad?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

jahob000

I wanted to add something else in this thread. From this it turns out that probably you are really right. ;)
I always noticed that I like what people do not like most.
From this it turns out that I'm really a blind hardcore fan with a bad taste, as one commentator on YouTube said.
I tried to show my point of view, but alas she was in a minority. So I just give up ...)) It's hard to love something that you can not share anywhere. It is better to love what people accept and love most people))

Lol, I can't tell if your last comment was pure sarcasm or you're just brutally honest. In any case, everyone everywhere will always like/love something that is not part of the majority favorite or "popular". It just shows that you see things differently. Everyone's tastes are based on them referencing and comparing them to other experiences of things they've seen/witnesses. Also based on age, interests and so on.

For example, Someone who tries sushi for the first time and claims it's their favorite food ever but hasn't had other Japanese foods or other ethnic foods. Another person could have had sushi, ramen and Japanese curry and claims that ramen is their favorite. Another person will have tried a wider arrangement of ethnic foods and claims Italian to be their favorite. However, even after the first person tries all of that, they will still keep sushi as their favorite.

You see what I mean? It's no different with Kingdom Hearts. All these food analogies are making me hungry.

ImVentus

Awards
But here's the thing. We can speak all day on the shortcomings and flaws of how the series' narrative has been handled. However, in my opinion, at the end of the day what truly matters is if the story did its job of making you feel something. Did it speak to you? Did it teach you something about life or yourself? Did you connect to the events and the characters? If the answer is yes, then I still consider the story a success even if the quality of the writing itself is mediocre.

The truth is there are a lot of poorly written stories out there like Sword Art Online or RWBY that still manage to be successful in their overall goal. But even if a story isn't "expertly written" I think that as long as the story resonates with you and makes you feel happy, then it's a good story. It might not be good for everybody, but that's okay because nothing is. Everybody has their own opinions. As long as it makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

I appreciate the fresh outlook of your perspective.
But sometimes the reason why unnecessary debates, rankings and close minded thoughts take over appreciation for a series as whole, usually comes from when some express their thoughts in a nasty manner. Using terms such as "It sucks, it's garbage" Or it's in worst case calling something cancerous, is an obnoxious way to express your distaste for something that easily starts unnecessary conflict. So many percentage of people think very defensive of something they adore, and will try to find a way to ruin the idea of enjoying something as whole while identifying obvious flaws & issues by trying to compare them.

We all fall into the trap that we should rank or have a special favourite in order to follow the norm. It's once we stop looking for nitpicks and enjoy a series with a open mind, but remain aware of flaws, that we can appreciate the work by giving solutions for a better story, game, product for a better experience. The feedback is there for a reason, but it's not meant to be abused.

To end this sentence, you have a point that a good story can resonate and come from anywhere. The key to make a story work is to have the passion & care for it. For example, like raising your own child. And for those that will listen to the story, they will have their own take on it and find ways to tell their own stories.

jahob000

But sometimes the reason why unnecessary debates, rankings and close minded thoughts take over appreciation for a series as whole, usually comes from when some express their thoughts in a nasty manner. Using terms such as "It sucks, it's garbage" Or it's in worst case calling something cancerous, is an obnoxious way to express your distaste for something that easily starts unnecessary conflict. So many percentage of people think very defensive of something they adore, and will try to find a way to ruin the idea of enjoying something as whole while identifying obvious flaws & issues by trying to compare them.

We all fall into the trap that we should rank or have a special favourite in order to follow the norm. It's once we stop looking for nitpicks and enjoy a series with a open mind, but remain aware of flaws, that we can appreciate the work by giving solutions for a better story, game, product for a better experience. The feedback is there for a reason, but it's not meant to be abused.

To end this sentence, you have a point that a good story can resonate and come from anywhere. The key to make a story work is to have the passion & care for it. For example, like raising your own child. And for those that will listen to the story, they will have their own take on it and find ways to tell their own stories.

When I started this thread, yes I had some opinions about the story, however when I talked about them, these things were somewhat minor. I'm still playing the games as I'm writing this post and am being reminded of some things as I'm currently replaying 2.5 right now. We have our little critiques and views about the different parts of the series, however I don't think anyone here has said that this will keep them from playing the games. Even with all of the things I've stated about KH2, I'm still playing the game with a big dumb smile on my face lol. At the end of the day, we'll still play the games and have our fun moments with them.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

This, to some extent, is human nature. Once we begin to form a sense of identity and attach ourselves to certain things or ideas, we bond with those things and become emotionally attached. And then, when we come across someone who holds a view or idea contrary to our own, them expressing that differing view can come across as a personal attack against us. When you grow mature enough to be able to separate people from their opinions, that's when you learn how to respectfully disagree. Of course, in more serious discussions, this isn't always completely possible. But that's what I always try to remember.

We all fall into the trap that we should rank or have a special favorite in order to follow the norm. It's once we stop looking for nitpicks and enjoy a series with a open mind, but remain aware of flaws, that we can appreciate the work by giving solutions for a better story, game, product for a better experience.

Yes, absolutely. Back around 2012/2013, just before KH3 was announced, I was one of those "Kingdom Hearts is perfect in every way" kind of people. I acknowledged that that was a subjective statement, obviously, but I still defended the reasons why KH was sooooo good and magical in every aspect even though it looks silly as an outsider. But then, and I'm not sure exactly when this happened, there came a point where I finally was just like "You know what? Kingdom Hearts is stupid. It's honestly so dumb and the fact that I'm taking it so seriously is also dumb. But you know what? That's fine. It still makes me just as happy regardless. Nothing ultimately changes by me admitting that this series isn't masterfully crafted or well-thought out. As long as I still love it, who cares if it's a stupid idea? It's a wonderful stupid idea."

mytomxxx

Yes, it is extremely poorly written. I could go on for hours. And yet...

It's made me feel things. I've cared when stuff happened to Sora and his close friends. I get excited and giddy when some stupid twist comes along and changes everything.

So yeah, it's poorly written, but it's damn effective.

I agreed totally with that.
It have alot of cliches many times, some dialogues are just meeh, some plots are worst.
But in the end, I just love the characters, and really have feelings about them.

And Sora is the one I love the most... Love you Sora!

Last edited:

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It’s definitely sub par. But like kaseykockroach said, it’s at least entertaining.

Back