• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/original of the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgizzles45

Re: Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/ original of the serie

Just in guys. The game came in today and it came much faster than expected!

Game, check!
Weed, check!

Tonight will be a good night. :) I have butterflies in my stomach. It's time to revisit my childhood.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Re: Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/ original of the serie

Lol good for you man even though part 2 of your list I wouldn't say that here if I were you.

As far as everyone else is saying I do agree KH1 had some problems like the camera, but then again for me the camera actually wasn't so annoying.

One thing I might have to disagree with is the gummi ship. I actually liked it in 1 vs. 2, but to an extent.
To elaborate in KH1 I liked it when we first got to map with the gummi ships that the worlds were just ? marks instead of how we see them today. That gave me more mystery to which world you'd visit next my first play through. That is something I wish they'd go back to in later Kingdom Hearts games instead what they have now where the world is black, but you know what it is.

Part 2 is in Kh2 gummi ship missions in KH2 felt like a mini-game where as in Kh1 I felt like I traveled in a way. Because again with the KH2 map your gummi ship just floated to a door and launched the missions where as in Kh1 you pick the world and you were off.

One thing I can give Kh2 gummi ship though was the fast paced action in it that was a nice touch, and the number of enemies too.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

The honest answer, for me, is: yes. I don't really think KH1 is that great of a game from a technical standpoint. The terrible camera and the bad level design are the biggest problems. Overall it just feels rough, unpolished and awkward like they weren't sure of what they were doing; though IMO it provided a much weaker overall experience, KH2 indubitably was much more polished and streamlined in several areas. The main thing is everyone was so surprised that the FF+Disney premise worked on any level, the game ended up becoming more than the sum of its parts and it's still probably the series' best game just because the idea was so novel at the time. I don't really want to use the word "charm" because lolbuzzword but if the shoe fits...

Shinjuku

Entrapment

@ Wehrmacht

Are you sure about that man I do agree KH2 was more polished graphics wise, but that's just about where it ends, and for a game that came out in 2002 what else could you really expect from Square at that time.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

1. The camera doesn't suck in KH2, you can generally be aware of what you're doing pretty much all the time and it rarely gets stuck.

2. The level design in the worlds, while much blander to be sure, is generally more streamlined and appealing to look at. The platforming in KH1 was an interesting idea, but honestly it was poorly executed with bad design, so it was better to be rid of it. What the series really needs at this point is GOOD exploration.

bgizzles45

I'm just loving the game. I believe this was the last game SqaureSoft made. It's a fantastic game, just like how I remembered it! I notice there's a lot more comedy in this game than KH2...Really feels like a Disney game as well. Welp, it's time to go to Cid in traverse town and have him install the warp onto my gummi ship! I'll be back!

Man, this game feels really action pack. I feel like I'm more in tuned when I'm fighting the heartless than I did in Kingdom Hearts II. Like stopping and waiting the time to block the enemies' attack. I also like when I just fought "Opposite Armor" in Traverse Town, I was interacting with the whole town as I was fighting him...Like climbing up the stairs, jumping on balconies...I hope Kingdom Hearts 3DS is like this!...As oppose to in Kingdom Hearts II where you're just button mashing (not saying KHI isn't a button masher) and using magnega and thundaga to wipe out the whole platform of enemies.

I also like how I'm exploring the worlds more too...Like finding hidden treasures and trinity marks...Finding items for Kairi to build the raft, slides for Jane to put in the slideshow in Deep Jungle.

Traverse Town's music is really sending chills down my spine...Very nostalgic.

Just made it to Agrabrah.

I guess the only downside to this game is the gummi ship gameplay and the fact that I can't skip scenes...

*thinks about the Riku fight in Hollow Bastion*

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

I'm just loving the game. I believe this was the last game SqaureSoft made.

Actually that was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

@ Wehrmacht

I do agree the camera was better in KH2, but I do admit I'm probably one of the only one's that didn't have too much of a problem with KH1's camera.

As for the worlds yeah they were bland and empty they were not good to look at the only few that were Beast's Castle, Tron, and TWTNW. They were still too small.

savits721

KH1's camera angle didn't bother me. I replay that game every now and then. I never replayed KH2, and I've still yet to play any of the games that have come out since KH2. I may pick them up this summer before I head to dental school, for nostalgia's sake.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Well Savits721 I can tell you this much BBS isn't the disappointment that was KH2 as for Days and Re: coded. Days apparently was a piece of crap coming from friends and other people on this forum, but Re:coded is a mixed bag of it was great and it wasn't according to my roommates they both liked re:coded.

Take that for what you will, but to sum it up check out coded and BBS, but not days is pretty much what I'm saying.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards

KH1 is a legitimately good game, but its problems are often overlooked or at least trivialized when compared to the other games.
So it is often unfairly put on a pedestal because of nostalgia goggles, but even with the flaws considered, you should have no problem enjoying the game again.
Exactly. It is definitely overrated by nostalgia junkies when they compare it to other games in the series, but even so it is easily one of the series' best outings, with a lot more RPG elements (like useful NPC's) than its sequels and a story that is a bit more focused. The combat requires a bit more strategy than most later games, there's a lot more (typically bad) platforming, but the camera sucks, the voice acting borders on horrid in some places, and there aren't as many options in combat as in later games (like BbS). So yes, it absolutely is worth your money. Is it perfect? No. Is it very good? Yes.

Honestly, on the subject of plot, though, I thought KH1's plot was the most confusing in the series. The whole keyblade of heart and final keyhole thing in the end threw me for a major loop, way more than any of KH2's identity trickery ever did. Also, I didn't understand the beginning for the longest time. The whole intro was just majorly trippy.

Keyblade-War

Artist
Awards
Website
www.Codeleakers.com

The best game in the series IMO, i never got sick of it. I beat it about once sometimes twice a year and the story and voice acting is still refreshing, it is still very fun to play. Actually now that you've mentioned it i think i might pop it in my PS2 and play it all over again.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Originall Posted by: Ragnell 37

Honestly, on the subject of plot, though, I thought KH1's plot was the most confusing in the series. The whole keyblade of heart and final keyhole thing in the end threw me for a major loop, way more than any of KH2's identity trickery ever did. Also, I didn't understand the beginning for the longest time. The whole intro was just majorly trippy.

I do agree with the plot being confusing somewhat cause in the beginning it was just suppose to be one keyblade master, but then at the end Riku and Mickey both have one Mickey's was understandable as it was used to seal the door to darkness.

As for KH1 being most confusing I don't know how you get that as KH2 just jumped all over the place. Still to each his own.

Dexel

Beyond hope

Eh, KHI was a good game, nostalgia googles or not. I can't add much to what's already been said here. I will say, at least, KHI is the one game out of the entire series I like the most ( so far ) and probably the only one I want to replay even once. KHII and CoM lost the balance of storyline and battles, and I can't help but feel there was something...off about KHII's use of the ability and Keyblade system. As for CoM...I just didn't really like the storyline or using cards to fight/unlock doors to new areas/etc.​

I might expand later, but I'm probably not gonna feel like wasting my time doing that. I got finals to study for. Or rather, should be studying for.

bgizzles45

Well Savits721 I can tell you this much BBS isn't the disappointment that was KH2 as for Days and Re: coded. Days apparently was a piece of crap coming from friends and other people on this forum, but Re:coded is a mixed bag of it was great and it wasn't according to my roommates they both liked re:coded.

Take that for what you will, but to sum it up check out coded and BBS, but not days is pretty much what I'm saying.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I've played 358/2 Days and BBS already. There's no way in hell I would wanna play Days again...It was TOO repetitive. The cutscenes were the only good part about the game. As for BBS, I'm not in the mood to replay it. Actually, speaking of BBS, I still have to fight the two optional bosses. I don't think I'd bother though...I've seen people play against them and they don't seem to be like your average bosses. They seem intimidating...However, I wouldn't mind going for a second play through of BBS...Just not now. I still haven't played Re:Coded yet though...I might have to check that out after I'm done with my KH1 play through.

Realm Walker

I think it's a little of both.

Love Machine

strut strut strut

Kingdom Hearts I used to be my favorite game of all time, and I still say it is. Kind of. I liked it a lot up until KH2, where the storyline was good in general, but the way they played it out was just dayum terrible.

SeaSalt IceCream

AAAMMAAAZZZINNNNGG!

Kingdom Hearts 1 is still the best game I've ever played.

Correct me if I'm wrong here - but i think it caught a lot of people off guard - did it not?
It did to me at least.
I played it once out of boredom and partially for a joke.

And yes - it was cheesey in a lot of respects. But it also had probably the most compelling story-lines in the entire series.
Admittedly I became "Interested" for the first time when you reach Traverse town for the second visit, but it took all the way up to neverland before i was like "Heeey this isn't too bad"
Then when we finally reached Hollow Bastion I was under the perception - "I'm playing the best stinkin game made in history!!"

And for me - it still is - because of that element of surprise factor.

Personally - i think though - we all look for that magic that captivated us in the first games - and when it lacks it - we find it disappointing.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

Kingdom Hearts 1 is still the best game I've ever played.

....are you serious?

SeaSalt IceCream

AAAMMAAAZZZINNNNGG!

....are you serious?
Don't get me wrong - the game play was primitive
But - that actually made it more challenging.

The music still gets my heart racing,
And the storyline is still compelling - no matter how many times I've played it

So yes - I still love it.

There's a lot of good games out there that I've played, but none have captivated my attention for so long - otherwise I still wouldn't be a fan of it four years later after first playing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back