• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Kingdom Hearts a tragedy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernsey

Awards
When I first got into the series, I use to think that Kingdom Hearts was action, adventure story about a boy going on an adventure to save the universe but recently I had been rethinking about Kingdom hearts and its themes. I wonder if we can call Kingdom Hearts a tragedy consider the arcs of Sora, Riku, Kairi, Roxas, Xion, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, etc. and they relate to the events of the series? I am not a Humanities/Literature major and my exposure to tragedy in the classic sense is mostly through Euripedes, Sophocles and the Orestes but I wonder if Kingdom Hearts can qualify as a tragedy? I am not expert on either category of tragedy but can anyone who do understand literature, humanities or just plain well read individuals can help me understand the series as a tragedy? I asked this because I read a rumination where the reviewer analyzes the series as tragedy especially 358/2 days and I had never thought that of the series that way.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It's SQEX/Disney's spin on A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I mean it depends how you view the word tragedy. No one really dies, and when they "do" they just appear again. I would say more like misfortune. The final act (KH3) would be a factor to whether or not this series is a tragedy. If it ends well, then no. Lots of signs point to a redemption ending, so we'll have to see.

Jochira

Awards
well, I would definitely classify Days and BBS as tragedy

actually, everything related to Roxas, Xion, Axel, Terra, Ventus and Aqua can be considered a tragedy caused by both Xehanort, Eraqus and Ansem the Wise's vengeance

the reason I say that Eraqus also is guilty is cuz he's at fault, due to him being blind cuz of the light (him failing to see that both light and darkness are needed)... and I can't help but shake the feeling that, if it wasn't for Xehanort killing him off, Eraqus would do something worse than Xehanort

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, we need to wait for the finale of at least the Xehanort saga. You can't really call a work of the mind anything before seeing the ending.
Would we still call Macbeth a tragedy if by the end a deity un-does every death?

It's SQEX/Disney's spin on A Series of Unfortunate Events.

This works too.

Guernsey

Awards
Yeah, we need to wait for the finale of at least the Xehanort saga. You can't really call a work of the mind anything before seeing the ending.
Would we still call Macbeth a tragedy if by the end a deity un-does every death?

Good Point, I guess I should until the end of the series to see if the whole tragedy thing is true.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
As standalone Kingdom Hearts titles, 358/2 Days and Birth by Sleep definitely qualify as tragedies. The protagonists of both games don't get what they want, and eventually meet their demise from their every day life.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Also, if we're talking about the classic definition of tragedy, then it's a straight no actually.
Much like every other form of drama, the original representations had very specific settings, which KH already does not meet (for example, Aristotle's definition was that tragedy could only befall those with power and high status).

Nowadays the definition is far less precise and generally includes everything that has dramatic elements that don't get resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back