• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is KH3 A Good Game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I know, a cliche topic, right? WRONG.

I see a lot of people discussing this GAME solely based on story events. People talk about "floaty combat" and whatnot, but I really want to know from you all -- did you all have fun actually PLAYING KH3? I feel like because the KH series is so story based that people tend to forget that it is still a game first. KH's gameplay has always been one of my favourites of all games because of how accessible it is and how varied it can be.

With that being said, I thought the game was fun to play (especially after the Critical Mode patch). I loved the exploration of the worlds and the little details that you happen to stumble across -- like while deeply invested in the story of Monstropolis, I run by the A113 or when you're trying to find everyone's heart at the end of the game in Corona, I stumble upon the Snuggly Duckling door that I didn't even see when visiting Corona! I really felt immersed in the worlds and it really took me back to KH1 days when each Disney world had its own feel and uniqueness. Also the amount of things you could do made the combat even more diverse -- if I wanted to use a certain keyblade transformation, summon, shotlock, attraction, magic... sure, it made Sora feel too powerful at times, but it also made me feel I genuinely had options for how I wanted to battle rather than just defaulting to hitting X.

So did you guys have fun playing KH3 and did you like the gameplay?

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
There was only 1 point in the game that I wanted to quit forever (the pirate ship race vs Luxord) but other than that the game was good. I may not like the ending but I genuinely enjoy playing the majority of the game and I even limited myself so I did not finish within a day or 2.

AR829038

Awards
I personally enjoyed the gameplay, but more for the exploration than for the combat. I've always preferred that aspect to the KH games, whereas most people I hear from are combat junkies. Personally, and I know this is cliche, but while the combat for 3 was really flashy and impressive to look at, I do have to say that it was much more shallow than KH2's combat system. I dare even say it might have been a bit more shallow even than KH1's. Now, don't get me wrong, it's definitely fun, but too much of what you're given to work with (the Summons, the Form Changes, the magic, the Flowmotion, etc.) all amounts to the exact same function—causing damage. There were very few mechanics in this game, I felt, that had any purpose in battle other than to cause damage, and it made so many of the different facets of combat feel interchangeable and superficial. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if the different types of attacks made a difference in terms of which enemy you were facing, such as elemental weaknesses/resistances or other miscellaneous gimmicks à la the Phantom from KH1, but I can't recall there really ever being an enemy in this game where you had to prioritize certain attack types or perform them in certain ways. In KH2, nearly every move in your arsenal, be it magic, Summons, or Drive Forms, all served to enhance a particular ability, affect enemies in certain ways, or give some kind of temporary benefit or ability to help in combat, which encouraged you to familiarize yourself with all your powers and use them well. In this game, I just found myself randomly deciding which screen nuke to use, or whether to spam attacks or magic to build up a physical or magical AOE attack. There was very little depth or nuance to it.
That being said, what this game lacked in combat design, I feel it made up in terms of exploration. This game was EASILY the most fun I've had exploring the worlds in any KH game, hands down. And you can tell the developers definitely prioritized that aspect of it over combat, or even over story in some cases. The PotC world has become my absolute favorite Disney world in the series for what it managed to pull off in its gloriously expansive map. You tend to see that people had a better first experience with this game when they took the time to explore every nook and cranny instead of rushing through the story. Granted, that doesn't excuse the narrative faults for me, but it does somewhat mitigate the lackluster design of the combat system.
Overall, purely taken as a game, I still really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the game for its story in some aspects as well, but I think even the most staunch defender of this game would have to admit that it was really shoddily put together even when compared with past games.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
In terms of playing KH3 and if my enjoyment makes it a justifiably good game in my eyes? Yes, it was absolutely a good game.

Some worlds were lacking in areas that I wish were different or expanded upon (for example, my joy of a Toy Story world would be to explore classic Toy Story locations, which is why I love Andy’s Room and his street outside).

I cried during the first time I saw Twilight Town fully realised in UE4. It went above and beyond my expectations for the world, with NPCs breathing life into what was once a soulless town. I was in Twilight Town this afternoon and was looking at the station and how there’s a short road that leads up to that station so it’s a shame we couldn’t go up there, but that didn’t dampen my overall enjoyment.

I loved the gameplay from the first time I played the demo at E3 2018 and was itching to go and continue on in the full game. I looked forward to every heartless encounter and relished the many opportunities given to take down enemies. I missed recurring bosses and Disney bosses but I found new thrill in the Heartless bosses during Critical mode and came to appreciate how those battles were constructed.

Even with the platinum, I find myself booting KH3 up again and just jumping in to a world to fight heartless, talk to Disney characters, and observe the worlds. I may not like the over abundance of sequel focus but I’m excited to see the next round of worlds and how they’re realised, with returning worlds being expanded upon (San Fransokyo please!) and hopefully a larger hub world.

I don’t hate Kingdom Hearts III, not at all. I have my issues with it, like others do, but I don’t hate it and don’t let my disappointment cloud my joy. I’m excited for the DLC and I really hope it elevates the experience of the game to new heights.

drew0512

Awards
Yes, I've played it three times (Proud, Proud lvl 1 and Crit). Despite this, I want to play it again but I'll wait for the DLC. It has my favourite gameplay because I love to have variety and experimenting with transformations and whatnot was really fun. I love exploration and platforming so finally getting worlds that reminded me of KH1's was refreshing, especially after years of hallways/dead worlds. This was my biggest wish for KH3, so I'm definitely satisfied.

Lulcy

Awards
Fun? Yes, KHIII gameplay was mindlessly fun, less than BBS (which is an improvement) but is below of being as engaging and depth as KH1 & KH2. Critical Mode slightly improved my enjoyment of the game.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Good is a point of view, Anakin!

But anyway, yes I do find KH3 a good game. I have my complaints about how some things could have been executed better and I wish there were certain things that were added that were not. But overall I had a amazing time with the game. I was replaying KH1 in Final Mix form for the first time and while I had fun, the entire time I was missing so many things from Kingdom Hearts 3's gameplay. I love Keyblade transformations, switching Keyblades, being able to swat flying enemies above me with ease, and most of all they fixed the Gummi Ship! A aspect I disliked greatly in KH1 and KH2. Man did I miss the KH3 Gummi Ship.

I love how OP the Ultima Weapon Keyblade was. It felt like such a grand reward for doing all the requirements. Especially that evil Frozen Slider. I love the Keyblade Graveyard gauntlet fighting through the Seekers of Darkness. I remember using my Kingdom Key to slay Marluxia, Larxene, and Luxord just because I upgraded it so high. I loved the unreal engine graphics and seeing my favorite characters in such amazing graphics. I'll never forget the feeling when seeing old faces in those new graphics. Even some characters I'm not that crazy about made me squeal in delight seeing them in the new engine.

I can't wait for ReMind DLC. I'm literally itching to play KH3 again, because I had so much fun with it. Plus being able to play as Roxas with Axel and Xion tagging along is probably the closest thing to a 358/2 Days Remake I'll ever get so I'll take it. I can't wait for the DLC to come. I want more Kingdom Hearts!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I enjoy the game. *shrug* KH3, 3D, and KH1 have the best level design (0.2 is good for the short episode it is, too). And I still think 3 has the best gameplay in the series--but I never had a fondness for KH2's Drives or how slowly Sora moves in that game. If you could find anything wrong with its gameplay, it's the overload of options. I think that keeps things fresh thoguh, because you can circle through different options depending on your mood.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Yeah, I'd say objectively it's a good game. You can have issues with the writing or the pacing, but nothing about KH3 I could see would ever make the game outright terrible. I had fun with the game, I really liked the interactions with Donald and Goofy, the world exploration was off the charts, and I enjoyed the story a ton.

disney233

Awards
I have my complaints. I have so many nitpicks here and there, but I'd be nothing more than a damn liar if I say I didn't enjoy KH3 the slightest. Aside from the......glaring problems, I've...honestly had fun. The gameplay aspect to me had me going because I was actually fond of a few worlds and traveling. There were worlds that I actually thought...was boring. Corona being the most annoying out of them all, but I still had fun nonetheless. Olympus was by far my most favorite world to explore, and the Toy Box battle theme was the most catchy, catchy, and innovated theme out of them all.

And enjoyable moments? There are some I...can't quite remember so fondly, but do I REALLY need to point these three gems of a moment out?

tumblr_pmb7c4kujg1sbvg80_1280.jpg

5fa.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Neo_

Awards
So I'm coming off a Proud playthrough of KH1, and oh my God how different KH3 is. KH3's environments are absolutely gorgeous, but Sora jumps too high, moves too fast and is quite jerky to control in intimate areas. It's very non-immersive and I feel like it would be more romantic if he slowed the fuck down, didn't jump higher than Michael Jordan and didn't climb up buildings like Spiderman.

Cerf-de-Marbre

Website
www.instagram.com
Kingdom Hearts 3 was unbelievable.

First, the quality of everything. The characters, the worlds, the immersion cinematic-gameplay. The balance was really good.

However, with all this new techniques and upgrades, I feel like the game was too easy. I didn’t die one time, even with the secret bosses. Even with the gummi secret bosses. Not once.

That’s all I guess ? The story goes pretty smoothly (although I finish it in two days so it appears too fast for me :’))

I really loved it. I really missed those guys.
Can’t wait for the DLC.

Back