• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comics ► Is it a bad idea for The Joker to come out of the closet?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
I get the Joker has never been confirmed as gay for Batman but that’s not really the point I’m making. The thing that makes this concept a bad idea is the fact that it’s the Joker. Would DC really want the biggest gay character in their canon to be a psychopathic clown? If anyone else has any other thoughts on this, feel free to reply. I just want plop whatever comes into my head in these sorts places

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don’t think the Joker is gay, and that’s coming from somebody who recognizes his obsession with Batman is beyond unhealthy and borderline non-platonic.

One of the few current iterations of the Joker I would say is possibly LGBTQ+ is the LEGO Batman version, but that is because the film is focused on the fact that the Joker wants to be important to Batman and their entire relationship is written like a breakup-makeup.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I don't think The Joker should be gay. I actually read him more as a-sexual or not even interested in sex. I know Harley Quinn exists, but he seems to get more enjoyment over his psychological abuse of her.

HIs character isn't really defined by his sexuality. His obsession with Batman is definitely not sexual. I never read it that way. If anything, the obsession is built from whatever horrific past he had and having someone actually show him attention/care in the form of Batman.

This scene from Arkham Origins always made me think that Joker was obsessed with Batman's "code" and pushing the limit to get him to break it, I suppose for the fun of it.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Diversity win! The murderous clown is gay!

In all seriousness he's pretty queer coded in the Arkham series.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
He's not gay. His comic backstory involves the loss of a pregnant wife while struggling with poverty that sank him into insanity. The guy also has way too many issues to be sexually attracted to anyone.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
The joker is a character that thrives on chaos. The reason there are so many differences throughout his career is that he continuously re-invents himself. His chaotic state is such that he could be queer one year and butch hetero the next. It doesn't matter to him, the only thing that matters to him is whether it'll be funny at that moment.

That said, I'm of the firm opinion that if anything, he is batsexual.

Back