• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Days Really a Bad Game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days a bad game in terms of General games?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
ah the avatar menu... served next to no purpose lol. of all the tracks to play there, why merlins magical house?
I like that track actually.

I like Days, as I've said before. I dont mind the lack of other organization members becausenthey really are one note personalities. Also, I enjoy character-driven stories just as much as I do plot-driven ones. Axel, Xion, and Roxas are literally the entire story here and such a tactic generally makes for some good drama.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
i read somewhere that even when they were making it for ds, the plan was to eventually remake it as a playable game, only greatly improved, and on a console (like they did with Re: COM) but it would have delayed the hd remixes and kh3 so much that they decided to just make it into a visual novel as part of hd 1.5 instead
Oh yeah, I know they wanted to remake it. And it would have improved actually playing it. Days with a PS2 controller would play fabulously.

As for the plot's pacing, and the tedium of the missions... well. A good Re:358/2 Days really couldn't get away with a suped-up carbon copy redux, like Re:CoM was.
(I mean really we spent so much time in that game before things really started happening, why wasn't there more about the rest of the Organization?)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
i read somewhere that even when they were making it for ds, the plan was to eventually remake it as a playable game, only greatly improved, and on a console (like they did with Re: COM) but it would have delayed the hd remixes and kh3 so much that they decided to just make it into a visual novel as part of hd 1.5 instead
Actually that's not what happened. Days was a project that was originally proposed by Nintendo; that is, a Kingdom Hearts game on the Nintendo DS. They would not have even considered remaking it for a console when it was a request for that specific system.

Korai

Awards
Actually that's not what happened. Days was a project that was originally proposed by Nintendo; that is, a Kingdom Hearts game on the Nintendo DS. They would not have even considered remaking it for a console when it was a request for that specific system.
idk, i just know that i read somewhere that the original idea from nearly the beginning was to remake it. it might've been wrong, idk

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The same goes for Coded and its remake. Neither of these games add anything of importance to the series.

I beg to differ. coded was the first game to really push the idea that non-human beings could, in fact, grow hearts. This as something repeatedly hinted at, and then confirmed in KH3D. It also set up the stage for data, the data worlds, and Maleficent's current goals. The fact we haven't seen what this stuff means to the series yet doesn't mean it didn't add anything to the series.

idk, i just know that i read somewhere that the original idea from nearly the beginning was to remake it. it might've been wrong, idk

That was never the original idea because, as Sign said, the game was always intended to be a Nintendo DS game since Nintendo was the one to request for a game in the first place. The idea to remake the game came up sometime after Days was made and the plans for the remasters came up.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
I honestly thought the game was well made sure the missions where tedious but the game overall was enjoyable and I wouldn't mind playing it again.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I like that track actually.

I like Days, as I've said before. I dont mind the lack of other organization members becausenthey really are one note personalities. Also, I enjoy character-driven stories just as much as I do plot-driven ones. Axel, Xion, and Roxas are literally the entire story here and such a tactic generally makes for some good drama.

Who's to blame for that though?

And maybe it's just me, but those one note personalities were a lot damn more interesting than half the main cast who are pretty much rehashes.

Gram

Banned
Awards

And maybe it's just me, but those one note personalities were a lot damn more interesting than half the main cast who are pretty much rehashes.

Agreed, lack of development for the main characters is kinda sad. Riku's the only that's had decent development of any kind.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Agreed, lack of development for the main characters is kinda sad. Riku's the only that's had decent development of any kind.

I would include Axel/Lea and Xehanort in that list though, since they have also some decent development over the course of the whole series.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

That's a perfectly valid opinion, but it didn't take long for me to get a bit tired of Luxords gambling references.

And like Sephiroth, I wouldn't limit the character arcs to just Riku. Arguably even Roxas had an arc, with everything he went through.

Or that may just be an illusion of one. I'm like half asleep now.

But throw Ansem the Wise on the list. His was obvious.

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
In total I'd say characters who've has varying degrees of decent character development are (YMMV):

Sora
Riku
Namine
Roxas
AtW
Axel/Lea
Repliku

Though more to the point, if the Org. consists of fourteen characters and despite the fact that you're playing a game in which you are constantly involved and interact with them but are only interested in three, I think that does say something about the quality of the writing. It's one of those weird middle grounds KH tends to go down sometimes. In the case of most Org. members it probably would have been better if they went down an "either or route". That is, have them be purely filler characters or legitimately develop them more. The Org. members feel like a weird subject sometimes when it comes to character development because they put just enough effort to make the characters look interesting on a superficial level, and some have even had direct influence on the plot (e.g. AtW's ex-apprentices) but they sort of stop half way. Granted, some of the characters are pure filler, like Demyx and Luxord, but it's mainly most of the ex-apprentices (minus Xemnas) that are kind of irksome because we KNOW they're fairly important, or at least made fairly important contributions at one point, but they're kind of just handing there. Larxene and Marluxia I felt accomplished what they needed to as a whole though.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
In total I'd say characters who've has varying degrees of decent character development are (YMMV):

Sora
Riku
Namine
Roxas
AtW
Axel/Lea
Repliku

Though more to the point, if the Org. consists of fourteen characters and despite the fact that you're playing a game in which you are constantly involved and interact with them but are only interested in three, I think that does say something about the quality of the writing. It's one of those weird middle grounds KH tends to go down sometimes. In the case of most Org. members it probably would have been better if they went down an "either or route". That is, have them be purely filler characters or legitimately develop them more. The Org. members feel like a weird subject sometimes when it comes to character development because they put just enough effort to make the characters look interesting on a superficial level, and some have even had direct influence on the plot (e.g. AtW's ex-apprentices) but they sort of stop half way. Granted, some of the characters are pure filler, like Demyx and Luxord, but it's mainly most of the ex-apprentices (minus Xemnas) that are kind of irksome because we KNOW they're fairly important, or at least made fairly important contributions at one point, but they're kind of just handing there. Larxene and Marluxia I felt accomplished what they needed to as a whole though.
That`s part of the problem I had with days. The thing is, I disagree with fans who say 358 2 days was an unnecessary game. I really wanted to know more about roxas` time in the organization, his relationship with axel, and find out more about the other 11 members. I really wanted to know their backstories. Days was a perfect opportunity to develop the organization members outside of axel and roxas. But while some members (axel, roxas, saix and xigbar) got some development, the others didn't. And that was mainly because to much focus was put on xion. While I do like her character, I do agree when people say she was unnecessary. You could have put the time spent on her developing the other members.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
That`s part of the problem I had with days. The thing is, I disagree with fans who say 358 2 days was an unnecessary game. I really wanted to know more about roxas` time in the organization, his relationship with axel, and find out more about the other 11 members. I really wanted to know their backstories. Days was a perfect opportunity to develop the organization members outside of axel and roxas. But while some members (axel, roxas, saix and xigbar) got some development, the others didn't. And that was mainly because to much focus was put on xion. While I do like her character, I do agree when people say she was unnecessary. You could have put the time spent on her developing the other members.

I found Days unnecessary (minus some key parts that could have been fit anywhere else) but just because something is unnecessary doesn't mean it's not interesting or entertaining in its own right. Roxas's time in the organization is an interesting concept but not integral to the plot of KH as a whole. All we really needed to know was what we already learned in KH2. Which goes back to the "either-or" route. They could have very easily just have made most of the Org. members pure filler and making them more interesting mainly would have benefited Days in its context.

For example, I enjoyed the Days manga way more than the original game. Why? Amano understands a little something called "character nuance" which is something KH lacks for the most part. It's little things the characters say and do that make them more interesting and rounded without having to go in depth. Like Demyx sitting with Xion to watch over Roxas or Zexion cooking for other people. It makes the characters more interesting, and even gives them a little depth, but it's not crucial to know. Which is fine because some of the characters don't need a full blown backstory, just to be well enough realized that they're interesting to interact with instead of being dead weight. Although, again my issue was mostly with the ex-apprentices because they did directly affect the overarching plot. Though considering half of them were axed off early they're forgivable, but the others I think should've gotten a little more somethin'-somethin'.

Xion's an interesting case. While I didn't find her presence "harmful" per se she's very much just plot fodder. I think she would've been better left as a one-shot character, much like her "big brother" Repliku and just had her story end with Days.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I would include Axel/Lea and Xehanort in that list though, since they have also some decent development over the course of the whole series.

Valid point, Axel has had some decent development since CoM and so has Xehanort since bbs.

Keyblade Angel

Its been awhile since i played this game but from what i remembered i really loved this game! The connection between Roxas, Axel, and Xion was amazing, which is why at the end I got really emotional...watching such a great friendship fall apart like that. I hope in KH3 they all get their happy ending.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
While I felt they could have made the missions a bit more exciting I still like the game for the most part. I still think they should have developed the organization members a bit more. And I'm not talking about giving an extensive back story, I'm just talking about being on a mission with an organization member and seeing how they interacts with the environment. Even thought it was pretty inconsequential, I like seeing a member like Luxord interact and speak since I learn a bit more about his personality. I don't think it will have been so stressful to add some more mission where you go with a filler member and hear how they talk and react to things.

I will also add that Days was a nice change of pace to me since I actually had major trouble with some heartless bosses. After playing KH2 which I felt was too easy, Days brought a nice change to that.

So overall I give it a passing grade even with some my critiques of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back