• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is darkness TRULY evil? If so, what makes light so good?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
This argument has been brought up alot, I think it deserves a thread. Let's settle it, and try to bring up some good points.

Rexy

Bronze Member
Of course not
Both light and Darkness can be used for good and evil, there is the good light, the bad light, the good darkness and the bad darkness. For example the vampires only can walk on the streets in the darkness right? good darkness xD kidding
. That swhy i think the Twilight, the between of the two realms exist, as a balance of the good and evil for both sides. The problem with this is that all the games constrotors always put darkness as bad and light as good, it was like this on Kingdom Hearts and in other games as well, such as Musashi and others that i don't rememebr the name right now sorry xD

khphantom97

Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think so. If used wrongly, it can be. But, look at Riku. Sure, he succumbed to the darkness, but he overcame that, and is able to use light and darkness. Same thing with Terra. Terra was not taken over by Xehanort because he had succumbed to the darkness. Xehanort just wanted a powerful body to transfer to. So, Terra could've possibly been able to last without being overcome by darkness.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
Reverse/Rebirth settled that, I thought. I mean, Riku was overcome by Darkness, and in KH2 he uses Darkness. But Riku isn't evil. Therefore, Darkness isn't evil.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Terra was not taken over by Xehanort because he had succumbed to the darkness. Xehanort just wanted a powerful body to transfer to.
MX makes it kind of clear that the darkness in Terra's heart is what would sustain MX in him though. One could argue that without that darkness, MX wouldn't have been able to take his body as easily.

MX: I swore I would survive and be there to see what awaited beyond the Keyblade War, and now it is your darkness that shall be the arc that sustains me!

KeybladeCounsel

MX makes it kind of clear that the darkness in Terra's heart is what would sustain MX in him though. One could argue that without that darkness, MX wouldn't have been able to take his body as easily.

MX: I swore I would survive and be there to see what awaited beyond the Keyblade War, and now it is your darkness that shall be the arc that sustains me!

Old MX's final word "me"...

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
It could also be argued that it was because his heart was filled with Darkness, which required his host's heart to also be filled with Darkness. In other words, if his heart had more Light than Darkness, then he would have needed someone more like Aqua than Terra.

Captain Garlock

Did I ever tell you I love red?
Darkness is evil.
I believe Recerse/Rebirth was hinting at the fact it depends ont he user of said darkness.
There is no light without dark.
That said
Darkness=evil
Person using darkness=dependant.

Silverslide

Darkness is evil.
I believe Recerse/Rebirth was hinting at the fact it depends ont he user of said darkness.
That said
Darkness=evil

Bull. You haven't even given reasoning. You still haven't told me why light is good anyway.

EDIT: Oh and:

Xemnas: Denizens of light, answer this: why do you hate the darkness?
Mickey Mouse: Aw, we don't hate it. It's just kinda... scary. But the world's made of light AND darkness. You can't have one without the other, 'cause darkness is half of everything. Sorta makes ya wonder why we are scared of the dark...
Riku: It's because of who's lurking inside it.

Captain Garlock

Bull. You haven't even given reasoning. You still haven't told me why light is good anyway.

Wow its self explanatory
If it were MX using darkness it would be classfified as bad as he would use darkness for evil purposes.
If Riku used it it wouldnt be considered the game way.
Just like a weapon if its used to cause pain its bad but if its used to protect and such it is not bad its a thing of light. Light produces darkness thus its a double edged sword it can be used to protect and to harm.

Xemnas: Denizens of light, answer this: why do you hate the darkness?
Mickey Mouse: Aw, we don't hate it. It's just kinda... scary. But the world's made of light AND darkness. You can't have one without the other, 'cause darkness is half of everything. Sorta makes ya wonder why we are scared of the dark...
Riku: It's because of who's lurking inside it.

Ha you just proved me right with that quote.

Darkness is evil.
I believe Recerse/Rebirth was hinting at the fact it depends
ont he user of said darkness.
That said
Darkness=evil

Allister Rose

French Lover
it's confirmed by nomura that negative emotions lie on the dark side of people's homes. plus kairi's grandmother's story clearly says darkness didn't always exist. it was greed over light.

so even if someone wanted to use light and become evil, they would unintentionally use darkness. darkness isn't bad, but it's not meant to be used as absolute power. there has yet to be one hero that has used darkness and no light within him

Captain Garlock

MX using darkness= evil
Riku=Good.
Darkness is defined by its user the world only knew darkness as destructive hence why they assumed all who align with it were evil.

Silverslide

Wow its self explanatory
If it were MX using darkness it would be classfified as bad as he would use darkness for evil purposes.
If Riku used it it wouldnt be considered the game way.
Just like a weapon if its used to cause pain its bad but if its used to protect and such it is not bad its a thing of light. Light produces darkness thus its a double edged sword it can be used to protect and to harm.

Ha you just proved me right with that quote.

Well yeah I guess. But it also proves my point, Darkness isn't evil, it is the user that can be or is. Riku and Terra are good examples and an uncommon example could also be Pete. If I recall correctly, Pete does something very out of character in TWTNW, right? He sacrifices himself to save Sora and the gang. This is not an evil act, yet he is user of darkness, or something like that. You said Darkness= Evil, yet Person using=Dependant, right?

Yet that quote is saying, we are scared of darkness because of what lurks inside it. He doesn't plain out say we are scared of darkness because it is evil. If that was the case, Mickey probably would have said so.

Think of Light and Darkness as Yin and Yang.

Yin yang are complementary opposites within a greater whole. Everything has both yin and yang aspects, although yin or yang elements may manifest more strongly in different objects or at different times. There is a perception (especially in the West) that yin and yang correspond to good and evil. However, Taoist philosophy generally discounts good/bad distinctions as superficial labels, preferring to focus on the idea of balance.

So I wouldn't go on to say darkness is just evil. But different, both necessary to maintain the balance.

Oh, and I still haven't read why Light is so good compared to darkness.

Allister Rose

French Lover
darkness has negative emotions within it. it depends on how much it's being used.

darkness isn't evil but it can corrupt people to become evil

Captain Garlock

Well yeah I guess. But it also proves my point, Darkness isn't evil, it is the user that can be or is.

Thats what I said in my first post.
Why are you even attacking me if we agree.

Riku and Terra are good examples and an uncommon example could also be Pete. If I recall correctly, Pete does something very out of character in TWTNW, right? He sacrifices himself to save Sora and the gang. This is not an evil act, yet he is user of darkness, or something like that. You said Darkness= Evil, yet Person using=Dependant, right?

Yeah the user determines rather its good or bad.

Yet that quote is saying, we are scared of darkness because of what lurks inside it. He doesn't plain out say we are scared of darkness because it is evil. If that was the case, Mickey probably would have said so.

Which is pointing to the fact that they dont know WHO is in the darkness. Which could also be a reference to Ansem SoD.
Mickey as we know knows whats in the darkness as hes seen it quite a few times.
The darkness is tempting thus not knowing whats in it is scary as you do not know what to expect going in it.

Think of Light and Darkness as Yin and Yang.

Thats how I put it in my first post and all other ones light and darkness equilibrium.

Oh, and I still haven't read why Light is so good compared to darkness.

Since your all for philosophical answers.
Its quite simply.
Light reveals the truth darkness hides it.

Silverslide

Thats what I said in my first post.
Why are you even attacking me if we agree.

you said:
Darkness is evil.
That said
Darkness=evil

No you didn't lol I'm arguing because you said darkness is evil, that is what the thread is about <_<

you said:
Its quite simply.
Light reveals the truth darkness hides it.

How does that make light good and darkness evil?

Captain Garlock

No you didn't lol I'm arguing because you said darkness is evil, that is what the thread is about <_<

I did though read all of it...

Darkness is evil.
That said
Darkness=evil
Person using darkness=dependant

Darkness is evil but it also depends on the user.
Tell me I didnot say that again and Ill know for sure your being crazy.

How does that make light good and darkness evil?

Srop arguing the impossible.
Light sheds light on the truth while darkness will hide it and corrupt you.
Thats a good enough answer.

Silverslide

because light doesn't corrupt people, unlike darkness. simple as that.

thats pretty weak.

Darkness just doesn't go around corrupting random people. It corrupts those who give into it, OR people who wander into the realm of darkness without protection. For all we know, it could go either way. Darkness may be able to corrupt those of the realm of light, but is it impossible to say that light can corrupt those of the realm of darkness. the only example I can give of this is Ansem SoD in KH1, when the light shown on him, a being of darkness, it looked like it hurt him lol so maybe it goes both ways? If it can go either way, why does darkness only get singled out as evil? It's kinda hard to notice when KH is told from the eyes of the realm of light.

For example( sorry if this is a bad one lol) Alcohol, on it's own is it bad? I don't think so. But when it is given to someone and they choose to drink it alot, that kills them sooner of later. BUT it is used to treat wounds which helps people. Again, why I say it depends on who uses it.

you said:
Srop arguing the impossible.
Light sheds light on the truth while darkness will hide it and corrupt you.
Thats a good enough answer.

I'm not arguing the impossible.

And no it isn't a good enough answer, because light shows the truth and darkness hides it that makes darkness evil? If someone hides the truth from someone because it will hurt them or whatever, does that make them evil?

Allister Rose

French Lover
we've always known that darkness was pretty influencial compared to light. so people given in to the darknes would happen alot.

and even so, givign in to what's not evil, and somehow makes you evil doesn't help your argument.

as for the realm of darkness causing harm to by light, i doubt it. in kh1 even the realm of darkness has light in it. but the problem is that ther's no consequences if someone wants to hurt the realm of darkness because all it is is a realm full of darkness and heartless. if there is someone out there thatr live in the realm of darkness other than heartless, than maybe. but right now theres no reason to think light is evil.

lets look at vanitas, vanitas was able to survive dispite not being much darkness compare to ventus's light. ventus being an artificial being of light, he could not sustain himself and was dieing. the light couldn't save him because it wasn't influencial as darkness was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back