• Spoiler tag your spoilers, please. That includes all unknown content from the DLC that was not shown in trailers or discussed in pre-release interviews.

Is Country of the Musketeers from an alternate dimension?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ernest-Panda

Awards
Nothing about CotM’s inclusion in the KH universe makes sense.

What we’re led to believe in Dream Drop Distance is that it’s a separate world from Disney Castle/Town that Mickey, Donald, and Goofy once visited, which had since fallen to darkness. The only confirmation we get of this is Mickey revealing to Sora that he’s there as part of his training.

The fact that Minnie is a princess in this world would have to mean this is her home world, and that this is when she officially meets Mickey.

Absolutely none of this works, however.

If this is Minnie’s home world, this would have to mean she left it behind to go and be the queen of Disney Castle, completely breaking the no outsider rule that should’ve still been in place at this point in time.

We also have Donald and Goofy acting as they did in the Musketeers movie; completely differently from their mainline counterparts. Donald is a full-blown coward, and Goofy is much less intelligent. While one could argue that Donald simply overcame his fears as time went on, I can’t see the same being true for Goofy and his IQ.

Pete’s presence in this world doesn’t tie up with continuity either. Presumably, the events of the world originally happened after Timeless River, but before Birth by Sleep. Pete not only seems to be completely integrated as a resident of this world, despite clearly being a resident of Timeless River beforehand, but the heinous stuff he gets up to in CotM is outright known by Mickey and Minnie, and yet he’s still a resident of Disney Town by BbS, and it’s not until he tries to commit something as minor as petty theft that he’s finally banished?

Yeah, I don’t believe at all that these are all the same characters. There has to be another explanation for the worlds presence.

Which is why I believe this world actually comes from an alternate reality. Perhaps even the alternate reality that Yozora’s world is from? We know the Final World seems to exist on some kind of border between dimensions (Sora runs in Yozora there in the ReMind trailer), so maybe the Realm of Sleep does too?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is a good question. I have no idea, been so long since I viewed DDD. Since these Disney characters don't ever age it's hard to tell when they came besides Timeless River being their obvious starting point. Mickey is the only one who feels like he could possibly be the same guy but Donald Goofy, Minnie, and especially Pete all feel like alternate versions of themselves. Pete in this world felt smarter and had more charisma as a villain then our current time Pete (but I love all Petes)

Soldier

Awards
  • The Foreteller
  • Savage Nymph
  • Completionist
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • Just Short of the Mark
  • 15th Anniversary
As they say on the stage: Whose to say this didn't happen?
Donald and Goofy acting differently in this world could be chalked up to this being the first meeting between them and Mickey, because even though they have forms in Timeless River based on their initial incarnations, It isn't explicitly stated that they met here (I.E Donald and Goofy treat the Mickey of this world like a familiar stranger, They recognize him, sure, but goofy even outright states "He seems kinda different somehow"). Timeless River is considered the precursor to Disney Castle, as the famous castle is under construction in TR and completed in modern day. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's possible that Country of the Musketeers was the in between point of TR and Disney Castle.
Think about it:
Minnie's already a princess at this point, meaning that she's the one that helps Mickey get his royal status as king, not the other way around. We never see her in TR, so it's possible she/her relatives commissioned the construction.
Mickey, Donald and Goofy meeting here would still fit, It could've been Mickey who sought out Yen Sid (or vice versa) and began training to use the Keyblade.
Pete's role as a villain has varied in many media, He can have powers, or just be an everyday villain (a mean boss, a police officer, etc.) it's not farfetched to think that he'd go from a steamboat captain to captain of the royal guard.
Few holes in this theory though

Timeless River, despite being based on old Disney cartoons and having timeless in the name, has a certain 1940's feel, with the presence of a steam boat, modern tools, skyscrapers, cars, televisions, etc. Meanwhile CotM is clearly based on 18th Century france, sticking closer to the source material than anything else. therefore, it wouldn't make sense for them to have all this progress, then suddenly remove all of it in order to emulate France.

Last edited:

ZeVaine

Awards
I am as confused about this as you are.

Timeless River itself and the special portals to the past is it's own unexplained plot nightmare, much less revealing that at some point all of the Disney characters (including Pete) either went to a different world to simulate a save-the-princess scenario, or some of the main crew came from both Land Of Muskeeters and Timeless River - and it's anyone's guess who came from where.

Everything related to the Disney characters is pretty not thought out in the long-term, which is annoying because I'm expected to think hard about the rules and laws of the KH universe when it comes to the original characters - and then expected to just not think at all about the plot when it comes to the disney crew?

Kokoko253

Awards
I have an idea, but it might be way too farfetched.

Okay, so we know even data can grow real hearts, as shown by Data Sora. So, what about data worlds? Can they grow proper hearts, thus becoming full-fledged worlds? What I say is, that CotM is a computer (or magic) simulation created by Yen Sid in order to give Mickey some sword-flinging training. He took familiar faces from his home (Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Pete), added a new esthetic fitting the training, and let Mickey in with a mission. If Mickey treats it as a real world, it might gain a real heart, thus it can fall to darkness, when the world the original simulation is running on falls to darkness.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
  • Anguis Union
  • News Hound
On one hand, it does sorta explain how the Disney Castle hierarchy works: Minnie is the actual legal authority while Mickey's only a king by marriage. Hence Mickey can get away with being gone from the Castle so much because it's not really his responsibility to run the day-to-day operations of the kingdom anyway.

On the other hand, a bit odd they just straight-up moved to a different world. Perhaps since it's based on France, Minnie had to run from the revolution.

disney233

Awards
Personally it seems clear that this is also apart of Mickey's training and he himself is in a sleeping world. Yen Sid makes this world and its scenario, just like Ansem and his Twilight Town simulation, so Mickey could prove himself. So, sorta like Wasteland I...guess you could say it's an alternate dimension.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Personally it seems clear that this is also apart of Mickey's training and he himself is in a sleeping world. Yen Sid makes this world and its scenario, just like Ansem and his Twilight Town simulation, so Mickey could prove himself. So, sorta like Wasteland I...guess you could say it's an alternate dimension.
Wasteland! Now there is a world that would be cool to see in Kingdom Hearts!

But the idea that Mickey could be training in the Country of the Musketeers is actually a cool concept. Too bad we probably will never know for sure. I doubt this world will ever be brought up again in the series.