• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Aqua the "primary" protagonist in Birth by Sleep?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Do you think that Aqua is the "primary" protagonist for Birth by Sleep?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I just wanted the communities opinion on this. I know that in Birth by Sleep, we see each heroes perspective fairly equally, but I really feel as though it is Aqua that truly has the spotlight. What are your thoughts on this?

Muke

whatever
Awards
Nice Thread! :)
I do think that she is the primary protagonist, just like Riku is the primary protagonist of DDD.

It's just, both have more gameplay than others, both do more stuff and so. I don't know how to explain, lol

fmimac

It is true she has more gameplay, and "outlives" more or less the boys, but... I felt that Ven was the protagonist. Maybe because of his connection with Sora, and also the fact that he's the one to forge the X-blade with Vanitas. Plus Aqua's true role is limited until the end. I dunno. The 3 of them can be considered protagonists in their own way, I think.

Hallowseve

I didn't even know Aqua was the true protagonist until today! Wow! I always assumed it was Ventus due to his connection to Sora and his somewhat tragic story, haha.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's easy to confuse who is the primary protagonist due to how each of the three has somewhat huge story importance and the role of protagonist actually shifts throughout BBS proper, but ultimatively the character who faces the final boss and finishes the whole story is the "primary" protagonist.
That's also why Riku is the primary protagonist of DDD despite Sora's story also having a big weight of importance behind it.

Both Ventus and Terra have a sort of "tragic" story and deep connections to Sora and Riku, respectively, giving them certain weight as important story characters.
There are also sections of BBS that make them the focus character and thus a "protagonist" in general view, but it is ultimatively Aqua who finishes the whole story and has, due to both Final and Secret Episode, a longer tenure than the two boys.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
*reads thread title* Funny you mention that:

Full Famitsu Interview - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

You know what, I completely forgot about this. There's another aspect that I've identified not with just the BBS trio (but with all three of the key trios in the Kingdom Hearts series).

The Heroic One
Sora: Primary Protagonist
Roxas: Saves Xion from being used by Xemnas, tries to stop the Organization's collection of hearts
Aqua: Saves Ventus after the Ventus/Vanitas forge, saves Terra from being completely consumed by Darkness

The manipulated and deceived one
Riku: Manipulated by Ansem, Seeker of Darkness and Maleficent to give in to Darkness
Axel: Manipulated by his former friend Saix to have Xion be for her true purpose
Terra: Manipulated by Master Xehanort to be used as a vessel for harbouring his heart

The connection to set events in motion
Kairi: The Seventh Princess of Heart. She is connected to the other Princess of Heart as beings of pure lights
Xion: The personifications of Sora's memory of Kairi manifested into a being. She is connected to Sora's memories
Ventus: A being of pure light after being divided by Master Xehanort. He is connected through the forming the X blade

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Can't really say. Sure, Aqua's story is longer and she is the one who saves the other two and all, but the storylines still felt kind of equal (to me!) unlike in 3D, where it really felt like Riku's plot was much more important and more interesting than Sora's (again: to me!).

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, even before Nomura confirmed it I believed so for similar reasons already mentioned. That she is the one who has the most scenarios and finishes the story herself. I do acknowledge that Ven and Terra have more of a connection to the previous main characters so it may be easy to confuse this. Also, even the original version BBS was lame and featured Aqua in the background of the cover. It wasn't till Final Mix they embraced her and made her the focal point of the cover. And then they furthered this with 2.5 by directly centering her over Sora himself, paralleling them further.

I mean, I feel like it could be argued that they wanted Aqua's lasting importance to be a secret, which admittedly was one of the few actual surprises by the time BBS actually came out lol. But I feel like they were just unconfident with a girl being more important than the guys at first...

Muke

whatever
Awards
^ iirc, Nomura was first worried about Aqua's popularity, since she has "no" connection to a present character.
But heh

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
^ iirc, Nomura was first worried about Aqua's popularity, since she has "no" connection to a present character.
But heh

Tbh I really hope Nomura starts to realize that close to no one actually wants characters that look like clones of others or whose character traits are copied from other characters. Or that we don't need any more keyblades, lol.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
But heh

Ah well yeah, as VoidGear said we don't actually want that haha. I'm really afraid the Foretellers are gonna take off their masks and look exactly like the people we theorize they are connected to. Like...can they at least look kind of different? They already have similar color schemes so the parallels are still there either way already haha. But I digress...

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Ah well yeah, as VoidGear said we don't actually want that haha. I'm really afraid the Foretellers are gonna take off their masks and look exactly like the people we theorize they are connected to. Like...can they at least look kind of different? They already have similar color schemes so the parallels are still there either way already haha. But I digress...

Seriously, I'm so sick of blue eyes even though it's nothing I shouldn't even care about much.
As for looks, oh man I remember the whole "if Ventus' heart had connected to Riku Vanitas would be a black-haired Riku!!" stuff a friend annoyed me with. Ugh, if they really look like characters we already know....Nah, please not.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Seriously, I'm so sick of blue eyes even though it's nothing I shouldn't even care about much.
As for looks, oh man I remember the whole "if Ventus' heart had connected to Riku Vanitas would be a black-haired Riku!!" stuff a friend annoyed me with. Ugh, if they really look like characters we already know....Nah, please not.

That particular issue at least makes sense within the series' mythos as hearts are known to influence appearance and looks to a degree and that particular connection made with Ventus' heart in the prologue of BBS is one of the deepest shown so far.
Terra-Xehanort did take on physical Xehanort-traits as well due to heart influence.

It is when things like these become too abundant that it gets problematic, not to mention that in this series the fact that "parallels" does not have to mean "literally the same with some cosmetic differences" seems to be forgotten.

You can have parallels and even tight connections between characters without actually having to make them nearly the same in both appearance and personality.

Like had they given Ventus green eyes (which by the way also looks pretty rad) it would not only serve as a more unique trait it would also probably have helped tremendously in not having so many people confuse him and Roxas.
tumblr_o46medPEBJ1redx1to2_400.gif

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Like had they given Ventus green eyes (which by the way also looks pretty rad) it would not only serve as a more unique trait it would also probably have helped tremendously in not having so many people confuse him and Roxas.
tumblr_o46medPEBJ1redx1to2_400.gif

I find this outstandingly funny since they did not include Rikku in KH1 so no one would confuse Riku with her yet when two characters look the same they don't even bother changing their eye color to make it a bit more obvious who is who. Like...wow. I mean sure, multiple games passed since that Rikku-Riku-thing, but still.

I mean, I get the idea behind the eye colors, but somehow it's just...meh, too much. They somehow managed to alter Riku's eye color a little for whatever reason, so...yeah, why not anyeone else's?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I just find it really funny how we've got the Xehanorts, which are supposed to be the same person (same heart, same mind, it's a main plot point!) and yet they all look different, while on the other hand, we've got protagonists who're supposed to be completely separate and unique individuals... AND THEIR APPEARANCES ARE (almost) IDENTICAL.

Also. Riku's eye color was changed? Since when?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Probably because he wasn't a very nice person back in KH1.

Not like Terra is a very nice person...?
I mean okaaaay, he doesn't willingly choose the path of darkness in the beginning, but he's still caught in between light and darkess, yet they didn't treat his eyes special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back