• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Invisibility Here?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Why would, say, physicists be looking for solutions to Biology problems?

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Is this that thing where the guy has on a jacket that looks invisible? The one everyone thought was a hoax?

From what I remember, you can tell ... a person was in it. You can see what is infront of him, but doesn't make the person undetectable.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Is this that thing where the guy has on a jacket that looks invisible? The one everyone thought was a hoax?

From what I remember, you can tell ... a person was in it. You can see what is infront of him, but doesn't make the person undetectable.

...but would it be so detectable in conjunction with the environment?

Cloudy_Card

Juvenile Success
Website
photobucket.com
Invisibility might not be all it's cracked up to be. HG Wells had a thing or two to say about if i remember correctly.

Also, it wouldn't really have as much military use nowadays, seeing how war is almost all long range. Sure, being invisible is great for sneaking up on an enemy, but it's not gonne protect you from a landmine or a scatter shot.

As for criminals though, imagine the possibilites.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
Yeahhhh....

Okay, so noone here has any grasp of pattern-recognizance.

Really.

Let's look at a situation from the past, hmm?

"Dear God, flight? What sort of despicable crimes could be done if it was made available to the public? Criminals would be unstoppable! Madness would reign! 'twould be the end of enlightened society as we know it!"

Many years later...

"This is Bob Pushman, you're eye in the sky for WCNT News."
"Well, Bob, what's traffic look like today?"

Just because we don't have it yet does not mean it will destroy society. We used to think fire was an unstoppable weapon of mass destruction, ne?

ozymandius

Holy crap! The world of Harry Potter is coming to life! lol. Invisibility is pretty sweet, but totally useless if your enemies have heat-detecting equipment. So...yeah, its just about a big waste of taxpayer's money, assuming your enemies are smart enough to use heat-detecting equipment. I wonder if motion sensers would be able to detec it.....?

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
Okay, Heat detecting equipment basically just uses thermal imaging. In a word: Infrared.

So any true, at least functional, invisibility (besides just painting yourself green or being shaped like a Stealth Bomber) would either bend ala Einstein the light (visible and infrared) behind the user to be in front of it, or would imitate it. Either way, heat detecting equipment as we know it would not work.

Example of bending:

L=light
o=Me, (OK, oo because I am fat and take up two ASCII spaces in reallife)
|=stupid spam filter won't let me use long spaces, imagine it's empty space

||||||| ______
____/ ||oo ||||\_______
||||||\_______/

So, either computers and flexible monitors that work VERY FAST, or a portable gravity amplification/nullification device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back