• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Interview with Nomura- Everyeye.it (Aug 27, 18)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

meep2meep

Awards
Hey guys, just found a link to an interview with Nomura.

https://www.everyeye.it/amp/articol...el-gioco-40502.html?__twitter_impression=true

It was posted yesterday and I havent seen mention of it on the site yet. If this has already been posted and I'm just blind, my humblest apologies. Also I don't speak Italian.. sooo I used google translate (if someone can make a better translation please do so)
Kingdom Hearts 3 is a creature wrapped in a thin veil of mystery: despite having discovered some of his cards in the last year, continues to hover in the forbidden dreams of all fans, full of many secrets still to be unveiled. The final dream of Tetsuya Nomura (or at least, what will end a cycle started more than 15 years ago) will come to an end starting next January 29th: a magic in which the plots of innumerable iterations and re-editions come to our shelves in the course of the seasons and in which (while clearly imagining the developments, given the regresses premise) the process of maturation of each protagonist will close the circle of an epic through a vortex made of hearts and emotions. It is one of the themes, the latter, that gave us the greatest curiosity about the creative process of the new and awaited chapter of the saga and that we could discover better during a brief but intense chat with Tetsuya Nomura. In fact, Square-Enix has allowed us, in exclusive Italian, to exchange a few words with the eclectic director of Kingdom Hearts 3, shy and mysterious just like his most important and beloved creation ...
At the court of Nomura-San

Everyeye: KH3 will be, according to your statements, the darkest chapter of the saga, which will put Sora and the other protagonists in front of different dramatic moments. The series, however, is not completely new to large doses of pathos, so how are these statements reflected in the script? And, compared to the past, how difficult was the writing between the darkest introspection of the heroes and a plot that must draw the sums of a ten-year franchise?

Nomura: The battle against Xehanort, which came to life in the first game of the series, will finally come to an end; moreover, since the journey he is traveling to Sora serves to alleviate the pain of having lost his friends in the past, the general atmosphere will be truly dramatic, at least in some phases, compared to the previous chapters.
In fact, I think the Kingdom Hearts 3 plot will not really be that grim after all. Neither the relationships between the characters, both between the main ones and between the protagonists of the various worlds, but neither the journey of Sora alongside Donald Duck and Pippo will be particularly obscure. In fact, I will tell you: it could even tear out more laughter than in the past! In this sense, therefore, we could say that it will be a truly wide-ranging story, well balanced between the dramaturgical aspect and the comic one.

Everyeye.it: One of the predominant elements of the aesthetics of Kingdom Hearts are the clothes, real pins in the character design of each character and able to mix the cartoon style with that of Final Fantasy. How did you conceive the new character designs? What was inspired by their realization?
Nomura: In truth, I almost never get much from the character design process. Most of the time I find myself buying so many clothes that I like, I try them and inspire me. And indeed, there have been occasions in the past when I used some clothes I had bought for me as character designs for some characters. A rather exhaustive example will be found in Kingdom Hearts 3 and concerns the aspect that will have Sora in the world of Pirates of the Caribbean: the design of his buccaneer jacket, in fact, is inspired by my coat!

Everyeye.it: Even in previous games, clothes became a playful excuse to give life to the Fusions which, in terms of gameplay, gave enormous variety to the combat system and to the playful experience. Even in KH3 we will find the same manic attention to the use of clothing?
Nomura: No, this time the clothes of the protagonists will have no effect on the gameplay or on the combat phases, but the type of battle that you can manage will depend exclusively on the use of the Keyblades. The form they will take is the very representation of this novelty and will have no direct effect on the characters.

Everyeye.it: It seems that every world is able to embody a different style and type of gameplay.

Mount Olympus, the Rapunzel forest or the Power Station show a great verticality and very large spaces, in Toy Story everything seems focused on freedom of action (even driving mecha-style toys), in the Ice Kingdom the distances will be covered by speed travel skiing with the shield of Pippo; in Pirates of the Caribbean, finally, we will have naval battles and underwater explorations. Tell us about the process of creating each world and how it has come to translate these Disney realities into gameplay.
Nomura: For this chapter, the development team has put a large number of ideas on paper. Starting from the flow of proposals received from all the staff, I then added my personal cues to ensure that the concepts arrived at a certain
completeness. This does not mean that the ideas of the other developers have not played an important role, indeed: when, originally, we began to select the worlds that we would have inserted, I personally asked each of them to propose a presentation that would show how it should be played each world. The final selection, which of course has rewarded the best ideas, on which reality Disney would have been part of the final game took place on the basis of this criterion.

Everyeye.it: Let's talk about the gummiship. From the videos shown so far it seems the only feature that has not been particularly revolutionized. Can we expect any surprise, in this sense? How much space will this feature have?
Nomura: In the first game, the Gummi Ship had a strongly symbolic meaning. In the second chapter, however, it ended up becoming a kind of amusement park attraction. This time, however, the space in which you can move the spaceship will seem much more expanded and very similar to the map of a role-playing game. Clearly we have added some customization options and re-proposed the shooting sections, which make the Gummi Ship what it is. But we also introduced a number of new elements thanks to a specific section of the development team that worked on it. Basically, therefore, the element of exploration is now much deeper.

Everyeye.it: Regarding the location, what are the times and the difficulties of the work of adaptation and translation of a work such as Kingdom Hearts 3, which collaborates closely with local franchises (Final Fantasy) and with a western brand as important as Disney and the attached animation brands?
Nomura: The biggest challenge is not so much the differences between the Kingdom Hearts franchise and other brands. When I direct a game, I ask for a translation as direct and faithful as possible, no matter how complex the subject is. This implies the question of which of the two localizations (Japanese or English) is the best. The truth is that, especially for Kingdom Hearts, an incorrect or defective translation risks compromising the comprehension of the whole story, and this is why I care about it so much. On the other side of the scale, however, I also understand the dynamics that characterize the team's approach to the location of the game, which are quite complicated. After all, it is not a question I can deal with firsthand, so I prefer to leave these issues to others.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
So Nomura is a fashionista. Should have know xD

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Yup, can confirm.
Which spawned countless immature jokes throughout the years since it's awfully close to one of the italian terms for the act of self-pleasure.

Brings a whole new meaning to "you dun goofed".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back