• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Interview Excerpts: The reason why Melody of Memory has story stems from KH Mobile

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

goldpanner has translated some notable excerpts from the recent Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews on Melody of Memory. In them, Nomura discusses the troubles he had drawing the box art, his favorite music in the series, and the reason he included story elements in a rhythm game.

Dengeki: 

(About the box art)

Nomura: Even the pictures in the frames have special meaning, and it was a big pain trying to finish the drawing with no time to spare. I had this same thought when drawing the box art for KH3, too - the number of characters keeps growing and growing, and I want to do a reset on that trend (laughs).

(Sora is in his KH1 form, is this a Sora from the "world of memories"... or something?)

Nomura: That is… a secret (laughs).

4Gamer:

Nomura: I really liked the visuals [from the KINGDOM HEARTS MEMORIAL MUSIC BOX website], so I asked them whether they could make something with that vibe. However, the first time they showed me what they'd made in that style, I got so motion sick I nearly threw up (laughs).

(On his fave music)

Nomura: I like Hikari. That song is so deeply ingrained as the symbol of KH. Also, the title screen song.

Hazama: You mean Dearly Beloved.

Nomura: I can never remember its name (laughs).

(About the story)

Nomura: This is a slight tangent, but a long time ago we did a flip phone game called Kingdom Hearts Mobile, which had a "Tycoon" card-based minigame*. It involved characters playing Tycoon, and Disney asked us to add plot to it. They wanted there to be a reason that the characters would be playing Tycoon together. So yes, I wrote a story for that, and I thought, well, if I had given Tycoon a story then this game should very well have one too. I settled on Kairi as the narrator, and wrote new plot that leads into what is coming next.

*The game he's referring to is Card Struggle. View the list of KH Mobile minigames here.

Last edited by a moderator:

blank points

Awards
You know, I won't lie, I had entirely forgotten about KH Mobile. Like Spockanort above, I also had no clue that Mobile had an actual story thrown in either. Learn something new every day, I suppose.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
:cautious:

09.jpg

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Nomura, presenting KH Mobile to Disney: [...] And it'll have a fun game of Tycoon as well.

Disney: But why are they playing Tycoon?

Nomura: Huh?

Disney: Why are the characters playing Tycoon?

Nomura: Well...it's a min--

Disney: We just don't think it's believable to see them playing this game. Are they bored? Did this happen when Sora would visit?

Nomura: I hadn't--

Disney: Is Sora good at the game? Did Leon teach him how to play?

Nomura: It's not really that dee--

Disney: HOW OFTEN DO THEY PLAY?

Nomura:

Disney:

Nomura:

Disney:

Nomura: When Sora was 9 years old, his father pulled him aside [...]

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I mean but of course. I wouldn’t expect anything less from him.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Also, Nomura, you can't remember your second favorite track's name.. the one that's literally at the start of every entry to your pet project? I feel like he has to be making that up to press Shimomura's buttons, right?

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
"I want to do a reset on that trend " WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS!?

Is this Nomura's way of saying that he is thinking of dumping characters? He can't be thinking of stopping the growth of the cast, when he literally just threw in more than 5 new people for the upcoming saga.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Is this Nomura's way of saying that he is thinking of dumping characters? He can't be thinking of stopping the growth of the cast, when he literally just threw in more than 5 new people for the upcoming saga.
Well like you said dumping certain characters while continuing to add new ones is counterproductive. Since he was having a laugh about it maybe he wasn't really being entirety serious

the red monster

Awards

I don't think many from the mobile games will show in this current timeline other than ephemer and skuld. missing classmate and strelitzia are question mark.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
The hell?! I also didn't know there was plot in KH Mobile! And Nomura saying he's always forgetting the song name that has been in every KH title screen was surprising too.

I think he meant to stop having so many characters in the boxart.

Last edited:

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Well now we'll just have to find a way to revive KH Mobile, too

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
im confused:( idk why it would stem from the mobile game....

He explains it pretty clearly. Disney's request for KH Mobile set the precedent. After having to do something as unnecessary as writing a story for why Sora would be playing a random card game in a non-canon mobile game hub, Nomura figured he might as well add story to a rhythm game.

Somnus cealum

Awards
He explains it pretty clearly. Disney's request for KH Mobile set the precedent. After having to do something as unnecessary as writing a story for why Sora would be playing a random card game in a non-canon mobile game hub, Nomura figured he might as well add story to a rhythm game.
oh ok. im happy were getting more progression in kh mom

Back