• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Interesting things in the manga and novels

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
The KH novels will be interesting as well, I know the manga is awesome to follow and I laughed a lot at certain additions there xD
Both the novels and the manga go deeper into character's personalities, stories and the parts of the plot not mentioned in the game. For example, here are 2 chapters from the KH BBS novels, fan translations, so nothing official, as the novels in English are not published yet:

ReMember Kingdom Hearts — BONUS: Translation of the Novel-Chapter "Dark...
ReMember Kingdom Hearts — BONUS: Translation of the Novel-Chapter "Contrast"

They're about the birth of Vanitas (first one) and some more of his past (second link)

Definitely my two favorite pages from the manga:

FwxPBcS.jpg

5aAQ8du.jpg

Heh, a cute reference to the title screen of KH2FM.

Here's a question, if there was ever a Kingdom Hearts anime, would they use the same artstyle as the manga? Because Shiro Amano's artstyle would fit very well in anime form.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Because Amano does characterisation for Kairi much more efficiently than Nomura does.

It would have been so satisfying though, especially since Xigbar notes that someone else can wield a Keyblade and he still can't.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
For a serious answer they probably didn't want to bother to code Kairi into the game as a fighting character. Either they have no clue what her fight style will be or just wanted to hold it off when they have more time to set it up I guess.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
For a serious answer they probably didn't want to bother to code Kairi into the game as a fighting character. Either they have no clue what her fight style will be or just wanted to hold it off when they have more time to set it up I guess.

I agree, in fact I might go as far as to say that they had intended to code her in, but failed to finish in time. Note that just before Sora is reunited with Kairi and Riku, we cut back from Ansem and Mickey to see the teenagers lowering their weapons from a fight that doesn't seem to have happened on-screen.

I have a good feeling that an actual fight was cut from the game, either because this sequence of events is too cluttered, or because they didn't or couldn't code Riku or Kairi into the game in time.

See also: the almost stupid ways the two of them are butted out of the fights with Luxord and Saix. Kairi is also conspiciously absent from later scenes only to show up as an afterthought. The game often fails to establish that she's there. At least twice when I was playing through, I went "Oh right! Kairi!" and I've beaten this game multiple times. This might be because she was an afterthought - goodness knows the series has problems with her in general - but think about it: if she were in the party, she would have not needed additional screen time to remind us she was present.

Now... even though I've said that, there's almost an equally good chance that these revisions were just made because Ansem!Riku was supposed to be in the party and they realized that was silly. Kingdom Hearts treats Kairi like dirt, occam's razor says that's the easier answer. But there's a third possibility: what if they both were?

This is pure spec, but in the past, I've had this nagging suspicion about the way Pride Lands is structured that Nala may have once been a party member. And goodness knows Port Royal looks silly without Will in your party. Note also the number of times Mickey joins your party... or doesn't, even when it seems like he should. If you want to go into speculation territory, I wonder if KH2 might have been meant to have more than one party member per world at some point in development?

Last edited:

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree, in fact I might go as far as to say that they had intended to code her in, but failed to finish in time. Note that just before Sora is reunited with Kairi and Riku, we cut back from Ansem and Mickey to see the teenagers lowering their weapons from a fight that doesn't seem to have happened on-screen.

I have a good feeling that an actual fight was cut from the game, either because this sequence of events is too cluttered, or because they didn't or couldn't code Riku or Kairi into the game in time.

See also: the almost stupid ways the two of them are butted out of the fights with Luxord and Saix.

Yea I think the basic premise had her be able to fight (possibly have Riku/Kairi/Sora be the ones together to defeat Mansex which would have been cool) but I think the creators got cold feet in deciding how she wasn't going to fight and just played it safe instead of making an unwanted version of her fighting style that they'll regret later.

Edit: They also might have decided to hold off on Kairi fighting until they experiment with Aqua and then use Aqua as a base for Kairi.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Yea I think the basic premise had her be able to fight (possibly have Riku/Kairi/Sora be the ones together to defeat Mansex which would have been cool) but I think the creators got cold feet in deciding how she wasn't going to fight and just played it safe instead of making an unwanted version of her fighting style that they'll regret later.

Edit: They also might have decided to hold off on Kairi fighting until they experiment with Aqua and then use Aqua as a base for Kairi.

Yeah, the latter might be the case as well. If nothing else, I'm sure Aqua reassured Nomura that Kairi could be in the game just fine.

I wonder if they did intend SRK to defeat Xemnas together? It would have been a good idea, but up to this point, what we've been proposing fits in with the existing scenes. We're making a few presumptions (I made a few more in an edit), but based on those presumptions, you can almost see the jagged lines where Kairi was cut out of the plot. But to have her fighting Xemnas in the final battle would be a major edit. Did they rewrite the ending and then cut her out of the previous scenes, or was she never supposed to be in the final battle in the first place?

Last edited:

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, the latter might be the case as well. If nothing else, I'm sure Aqua reassured Nomura that Kairi could be in the game just fine.

I wonder if they did intend SRK to defeat Xemnas together? It would have been a good idea, but up to this point, what we've been proposing fits in with the existing scenes. We're making a few presumptions, but based on those presumptions, you can almost see the lines where Kairi was cut out of the plot. But to have her fighting Xemnas in the final battle would be a major edit. Did they rewrite the ending and then cut her out, or was she never supposed to be in the final battle in the first place?

The fight with Xemnas was just me fan speculating but I think it could have worked fine with the current scene ust with some tweaks. During the spaceship fight just have either Riku and Kairi sitting with Sora on the side, have the next battle with Xemnas with him trying to break up the group with his talk of how can they trust each other etc. The final scene where they kill Xemnas could have worked the same with Riku getting badly hurt and Sora and Kairi carrying him to the river. Just have Kairi hand Sora the letter she wrote to him with a smirk or a small comment and everything would have worked me thinks.

Again this is just speculation but they might have had a storyboard with 1 ending including Kairi fighting if the creators really think she was going to shine in her role, and another ending without her if they didn't think it was right just yet.

I thought it could have been cool because each of them have a right to want to finish of Xemnas (While Kairi had the weakest, Namine still probably despised him and the organization so that could have worked.) and this game is all about trios anyways lol.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Its kinda strange when you think about it. Kairi is the only keyblade wielder without fighting experience. I don't mean just a main fighting role in a game but like in KH1 we see that Sora and Riku take their fighting styles from when they battled each other with wooden swords since they were young. TAV we can say they trained for years to master a fighting style. However there's no evidence that Kairi has even brawled on Destiny Islands. The manga shows a cool depiction but the game is more plausible. However after her training with Yen Sid I feel curious on what her style is going to be.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
The fight with Xemnas was just me fan speculating but I think it could have worked fine with the current scene ust with some tweaks. During the spaceship fight just have either Riku and Kairi sitting with Sora on the side, have the next battle with Xemnas with him trying to break up the group with his talk of how can they trust each other etc. The final scene where they kill Xemnas could have worked the same with Riku getting badly hurt and Sora and Kairi carrying him to the river. Just have Kairi hand Sora the letter she wrote to him with a smirk or a small comment and everything would have worked me thinks.

Again this is just speculation but they might have had a storyboard with 1 ending including Kairi fighting if the creators really think she was going to shine in her role, and another ending without her if they didn't think it was right just yet.

I thought it could have been cool because each of them have a right to want to finish of Xemnas (While Kairi had the weakest, Namine still probably despised him and the organization so that could have worked.) and this game is all about trios anyways lol.

Kairi's letter showing up in the Realm of Darkness never really made sense to begin with, it would almost make more sense if she just had it on her and brought it out for an appropriate moment.

Also, Riku and Sora's tandem... jet speeder... always looked and felt a little unbalanced to me (while the unbalanced bike lends itself to interesting gameplay, even that "feels" uneven), so maybe it was supposed to have a second platform on the left?

This is interesting, I'd thought about Kairi being in the party prior to this, but we're digging out a lot of reasonable possibilities here. It's been said by others and I'll say it myself: KH2 stinks of a last-minute rush and these possibilities don't feel feel out-of-line with that particular kind of mess.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Kairi's letter showing up in the Realm of Darkness never really made sense to begin with, it would almost make more sense if she just had it on her and brought it out for an appropriate moment.

Also, Riku and Sora's tandem... jet speeder... always looked and felt a little unbalanced to me (while the unbalanced bike lends itself to interesting gameplay, even that "feels" uneven), so maybe it was supposed to have a second platform on the left?

This is interesting, I'd thought about Kairi being in the party prior to this, but we're digging out a lot of reasonable possibilities here.

Yea I do agree on the speeder thing they had. The letter was probably just one of those disney magic things they wanted to do and I imagine that would have been the toughest part to write around if they wanted to keep as a feel good moment. Everything else they could have just stuck Kairi in there and nothing would really change. It wasn't like Kairi being on the island was used in any way for this fight so it leads me to believe there was a chance the creators left the ending that way in case they feel Kairi really needed that fight.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Well, I do happen to feel they made good use of Kairi on the island, the ending's good some great timing. But I'd trade it all in for 1) her relevance to the story, and 2) getting rid of these ugly chop-job edits I won't be able to unsee on future playthroughs.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I don't like when translations put swears in the manga. Even lighter language, like 'crap', 'suck', and 'frickin' have no place in KH. It's just silly. It's needlessly edgy in one of the least edgy series ever.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't like when translations put swears in the manga. Even lighter language, like 'crap', 'suck', and 'frickin' have no place in KH. It's just silly. It's needlessly edgy in one of the least edgy series ever.

It's not like "crap" or "suck" are even remotely edgy, though.

Back