• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Indie Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
Since there's a PC thread I figure there should be an indie thread. After finding out about them I'm now aspiring to be an indie developer myself. Talk about indie games you've played, want to play, or are working on yourself.

Here are a few I'm looking really foward to:

Starbound

[video=youtube;fyMJE9ZHIqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMJE9ZHIqQ[/video]

This is actually already out but I won't play it until the next update coming out in a few weeks comes out and they stop doing character wipes.

The Banner Saga

[video=youtube;EKr4onLjgqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKr4onLjgqo[/video]

I made a thread about this before but it seems like everyone ignored it for some reason. This game is being made by ex-bioware devs and everyone should definitely check this out. It's coming out this month.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Freaking Journey. I haven't played many indies (haven't had the internet to do so till last year) but of the few I have Journey was the best. It was just so beautiful in so many ways form start to finish. ;A;

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
I'd play it if it was free. Don't care how good it is a two hour game ain't worth 15 bucks.

Oh look at you judging art by how long it takes to experience it, how cute. You can't consider yourself an aspiring indie developer and then say something like that. It's really counterproductive.

Anyway, one of my favorite indie games, aside from Journey, is Bastion. Looking forward to the new game from the guys that made it too. I'm a big fan of games with a really good sense of atmosphere.

I also played Contrast very recently, and had alot of fun with it. Really touching story with really fun puzzles.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I'd play it if it was free. Don't care how good it is a two hour game ain't worth 15 bucks.

Yet you see a movie in a decent movie theater for the same price and time. Except with a game you can play it again for free forever. Sounds like a reasonable price to me.

If most games that cost 60 bucks cut out the things within them that waste your time you would have a lot of really short games.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Oh look at you judging art by how long it takes to experience it, how cute. You can't consider yourself an aspiring indie developer and then say something like that. It's really counterproductive.

Anyway, one of my favorite indie games, aside from Journey, is Bastion. Looking forward to the new game from the guys that made it too. I'm a big fan of games with a really good sense of atmosphere.

I also played Contrast very recently, and had alot of fun with it. Really touching story with really fun puzzles.

I'm pretty pissed off not being able to play Bastion. I don't think my laptop is powerful enough to run it either in Steam or through Chrome. I don't have an Xbox and no compatible iOS device.

D

Deleted member 36435

haha if your computer cant handle bastion you might as well throw it in the garbage because it cant open an internet browser either

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Yet you see a movie in a decent movie theater for the same price and time. Except with a game you can play it again for free forever. Sounds like a reasonable price to me.

Yeah, I've always found ruling out games on their pricepoint (to a degree) to be a really poor way of looking at it. it should be the quality of the experience that matters, not how long the game is.

i'm seconding hyper light drifter hype. i backed it so i have a digital copy guaranteed, looking forward to it.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b

I'm not saying the game is bad at all. If I had the money to spare on it, I probably would. However being a practically broke guy that currently can only buy games with money I get from selling other games I have to make sure my choices will keep me occupied for a decent amount of time.

If most games that cost 60 bucks cut out the things within them that waste your time you would have a lot of really short games.

Actually I don't even think most movies are worth going to theater for anymore, I'd much rather watch it on cable or buy redbox.

I'm pretty pissed off not being able to play Bastion. I don't think my laptop is powerful enough to run it either in Steam or through Chrome. I don't have an Xbox and no compatible iOS device.

Your computer doesn't have to be powerful at all to run bastion. I played it on my mac that has nearly no space on it because of all the shit my dad does on it and it ran perfectly.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Hyper Light Drifter. Also Super Time Force.

[video=youtube;N63ijUvolF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63ijUvolF4[/video]

[video=youtube;clgoJRc-VKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgoJRc-VKI[/video]

D

Deleted member 36435

i refuse to play journey because i think it is legitimately a bad game

D

Deleted member 36435

why would I need to play it first to form an opinion on it? it's not like the actual gameplay is one of the factors people are calling great, or even the main draw to the game.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Because playing a game and watching it/reading a review of it are two completely different things? An opinion formed through second hand experience is inherently flawed. You merely watched or read something about it. You didn't actually experience it. Which is what people who've played Journey praise: the experience.
I'm not saying it's impossible to form a correct opinion about a game without playing it, there are plenty of examples where the slightest glance tells you enough. But when you decide to forgo what people praise (the experience) and focus on something that in this particular example isn't important (the gameplay, which is admittedly imo usually the most important factor), you shouldn't be surprised if people start questioning your judgement.

My 2 cents, and I'll admit I haven't played it either (though probably going to, because I like new experiences)

D

Deleted member 36435

I'm not focusing on the gameplay of the game at all. It seems unappealing, boring and just bad, in my opinion. I've looked into it plenty to form an educated opinion on it without playing it. When the only argument for a game's greatness and praise is "it's an experience" you have an issue. I play games for a variety of factors, sure it being "an experience" could be put in there, but if the only thing it has going for it is it being "an experience" than I'm not going to play or purchase it.

I also find it amusing that when someone says they feel like $15 for a 2 hour experience is not something they find worth it they are attacked. The game industry has changed drastically in the past few years. There are a lot of great, time consuming games that can be purchased or played for $15 or less. I can see why someone would be hesitant to spend $15 on a game they are going to finish in 2 hours and possibly never pick up again.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Journey is not a game for a cynical mind. It's about exploring a beautiful world and experiencing the wonder of meeting someone who's truly just like you. Journey created the only true and organic example of the elusive "companion you actually care about" that so many other games fail to get, and they did it without an ounce of dialogue. If you look at it as a simplistic game where you run around in sand, then you're looking past what makes the game unique.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I loved Journey. I've played through it multiple times and loved "the experience" each time. But if Victor doesn't care about "the experience" and doesn't want to play it... so what? People like different stuff and it's not like he's patronizing any of us for enjoying it. He's just saying he doesn't. What's the problem?

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I loved Journey. I've played through it multiple times and loved "the experience" each time. But if Victor doesn't care about "the experience" and doesn't want to play it... so what? People like different stuff and it's not like he's patronizing any of us for enjoying it. He's just saying he doesn't. What's the problem?

stop disliking the things i like!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back