• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Inception

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Got around to seeing it. Before seeing Inception, several people told me that it was a complete mind fluff and incredibly hard to follow. Did anyone else hear this? Cause its a lie, the film is pretty straight forward IMO. Real life > 1st dream > 2nd dream > 3rd dream > limbo place.

It was the same for me, pretty straightforward. Also, I don't think the fourth place wasn't really the "limbo" place. It was the fourth level of the dream. You only go to "limbo" if there's no next level to go to when you "die" in a dream under heavy sedation. That's why it was ok for the businessman (can't remember his name) to die once the next level had been reached.

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I finally got around to watching this movie (yeah, I know, I'm late).

Anyway, while I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I don't get why people found it so confusing. I mean, yeah, it starts out that way, but after they explain the way it works after that initial scene, the following scenes were fairly well defined. Heck, the only reason that you don't know if the end is a dream sequence or not is because they don't give you the piece of information with which to determine it.

Basically, it didn't really confuse me, it just felt like they didn't want me to find out. It was a pretty good movie, but hardly a "mindfuck".

yeah it's a pretty straightforward movie i pissed a lot in theaters while watching it and didnt miss a thing

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Who has such literal dreams is my only concern, but these aren't traditional dreams are they? I forget, but via the device they experience lucid dreaming on steroids inside another person's "dream" where it's really the artificial version of the natural process of what we experience. Am I right?

I'm not sure the subconscious is so simple either

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
★;5380488 said:
Who has such literal dreams is my only concern, but these aren't traditional dreams are they? I forget, but via the device they experience lucid dreaming on steroids inside another person's "dream" where it's really the artificial version of the natural process of what we experience. Am I right?

I'm not sure the subconscious is so simple either

Just watch this, silly Solar.

Faris

Perfect Harmony
It was the same for me, pretty straightforward. Also, I don't think the fourth place wasn't really the "limbo" place. It was the fourth level of the dream. You only go to "limbo" if there's no next level to go to when you "die" in a dream under heavy sedation. That's why it was ok for the businessman (can't remember his name) to die once the next level had been reached.

Thats what happened to Learnado and other girl though wasn't it?

Lavender13

i think the 4th level is the borderline between dreams and limbo...anyways, amazing movie. i got confused at one point, but it was explained later on.

Faris

Perfect Harmony
The only thing that really confused me was how come Leonardo didn't tell them before the mission that if they died they wouldn't simply wake up

What was up with that? I guess maybe none of them would have agreed to go along with it.

Lavender13

The only thing that really confused me was how come Leonardo didn't tell them before the mission that if they died they wouldn't simply wake up

What was up with that? I guess maybe none of them would have agreed to go along with it.
because
Spoiler Spoiler Show

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I just saw this movie two nights back--late to the party, I know--and suffice to say, it was ecstasy. I found it easy enough to follow, but I have one lingering question. Why sync the kicks? Just give the kick in real life: if the first dream collapses, logically so does everything else.

Lavender13

I just saw this movie two nights back--late to the party, I know--and suffice to say, it was ecstasy. I found it easy enough to follow, but I have one lingering question. Why sync the kicks? Just give the kick in real life: if the first dream collapses, logically so does everything else.
because they didn't have an extra guy to do that

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

It's been a while since I've seen it, but if I remember correctly, doing that would leave them trapped in limbo.

because they didn't have an extra guy to do that

That's not much of an excuse. They could have used the stewardess on the plane or brought an extra member if need be. But again, I don't believe that's how the kicks worked.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
It's been a while since I've seen it, but if I remember correctly, doing that would leave them trapped in limbo.

I thought limbo is exclusively for when you are killed in a dream. I was and still am unsure about this though.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
Why sync the kicks? Just give the kick in real life: if the first dream collapses, logically so does everything else.
Because they were heavily sedated.

I thought limbo is exclusively for when you are killed in a dream. I was and still am unsure about this though.
Limbo only becomes a possibility when you're heavily sedated.

…Okay, this movie isn't so great. Took me typing the above to realize this.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
I thought limbo was also possible with enough levels of a dream? Didn't Cobb say he and Mal went so deep into their subconscious that they eventually reached Limbo? And I doubt they were that heavily sedated while they were at their own home.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
I thought limbo was also possible with enough levels of a dream? Didn't Cobb say he and Mal went so deep into their subconscious that they eventually reached Limbo? And I doubt they were that heavily sedated while they were at their own home.

^ This. (I think...)

The reason they were sedated in the other case was to get deep enough into the guy's mind so that they could successfully implant the idea. I'm not sure for Cobb and Mal, but I think they just happened to go too deep under normal circumstances. Then again, it's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I could be wrong.

Everwhere

Watching it now, and yeah you can achieve limbo through enough levels because the first level is hours, second is days, third is weeks, fourth is years, fifth is more years and so on.
There's one thing that bothers me though.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Watch Between the Lines: Inception | Brows Held High Episodes | Entertainment Videos | Blip

Necroposting, I know. But hear me out. As someone who liked this movie but never really considered it anything that great, this video gave me an appreciation for it that I would never have gotten otherwise.

And the video itself was released just last October, so it's not like I could have posted it in this thread when it was still timely to do so.

And there's really nowhere else for me to put it.

And it's a really, really good video.

No regrets.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
When it was talking about surrealism and cinema, I was like "This is okay, not totally unknown" then it brought Man with a Movie Camera into it and then I was totally in awe. I've seen the movie but never linked the two.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I only noticed the link between the movie and Paprika, I didn't realize any of the others. Considering Nolan's love, appreciation, and adoration of film making none of these are really surprising. His execution (creating a coherent movie using inspirational scenes from many others) is flawless and could help serve other film makers.

Unlike Nyan, I've always LOVED the movie and always considered it something great, but this....this added to the immense appreciation I already had for the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back