• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

In the time it took Square to make KH3 after DDD, FromSoftware made Dark Souls 1, 2, 3,& Bloodborne

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcane

In the time it took Square to make KH3 after DDD, FromSoftware made Dark Souls 1, 2, 3,& Bloodborne

AND they almost Got Sekito out in time during that span

let that sink in.

I don't think we will be getting the next game for another 4 years minimum

furusatoe

Re: In the time it took Square to make KH3 after DDD, FromSoftware made Dark Souls 1, 2, 3,& Bloodbo

Welcome to Square-Enix, where the waits are long and the games are usually underwhelming.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Re: In the time it took Square to make KH3 after DDD, FromSoftware made Dark Souls 1, 2, 3,& Bloodbo

The difference is that the Dark Souls games aren't fun.
Though I guess this is only provoking BUT KH3 WASN'T FUN FOR ME responses. Oh well.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

And in that time SE was able to rebuild KH1 from the ground up after losing the data files, released a prologue to KH3, ported a bunch of their games, made WoFF, made TWEWY Final Remix, and created wholely unique locations and abilities in KH3. What is your point?

kaseykockroach

Awards

The point is that people would rather waste time whining about how long KH3 took than using that time to play another game.
I just got myself a Wii U recently as a birthday present to myself so I could play Super Peach 3D World (my title because she's my eternal choice), Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World, etc. So KH3 is well out of my mind at this point. I've moved on!

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Also Dark Souls 1 came out before DDD did.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

Yikes. Square is such a mess.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Didn't they also have to remake KH3 like twice after the initial announcement in 2013 due to the engine issues? Also, it's my understanding that production time takes longer for a KH game due to Disney's involvement where they have to approve everything? From what I read, they were especially picky with KH3 because the people that worked on the films used were still around (possibly working on sequels/projects related to the property). I don't think Dark Souls and Bloodborne have to worry about that or the fact that they're transitioning a game series whose last main title was on PS2 to PS4.

Let that sink in.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

I mean we were never promised a KH3 game so other poking fun at the delay's I never really got upset at how long it took.

SerDuncan

I wasn't a huge fan of KH3 myself, but even I think this is a bit of a BS argument. Game development isn't the same. There was a 20 year gap between two Kid Icarus games, and the recent one was amazing! On the flipside, Melee had an incredibly short development cycle and it still turned out okay. Anthem had six years to get worked on and it's pretty much garbage. SuperHot and Surgeon Simulator were made in very short GameJam competitions. The list goes on.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

Square Enix released 40+ games from the time Dark Souls released to now. Those are just the ones developed under the Square Enix label. They also developed even more under Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, Avalanche Studios, and more. Meanwhile, FromSoftware has developed 12 games in the same amount of time.

And don’t the Souls games just reuse old assets for the most part? And even with that, it still took them 3 years to develop Dark Souls 3. You’re comparing that to a team developing their first console game entirely from scratch in four years from 2014-2018 plus the HD remasters which included at least two games being entirely rebuilt, three feature length cinematics, and what is basically a KH3 demo with all new assets.

Let’s not forget that the KH series has put out a title every year since 2002 except for 2003 and 2018.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

Yikes. Square is such a mess.

Not really, ever since Dream Drop Distance, we have had Kingdom Hearts content released in a year.

2013: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix/Kingdom Hearts X
2014: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix
2016: Kingdom Hearts Unchained X
2017: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
2018/2019: Kingdom Hearts III (initially scheduled for late 2018 but delayed for early 2019)

The person who created this topic is unaware of release schedules, and the fact that Square Enix can reuse Kingdom Hearts III character models and environment assets for future games. Plus, FromSoftware is a subsidiary to Kadokawa Games, so it's not even accurate to compare a subsidiary's schedule to signature brands schedule.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

And in that time SE was able to rebuild KH1 from the ground up after losing the data files, released a prologue to KH3, ported a bunch of their games, made WoFF, made TWEWY Final Remix, and created wholely unique locations and abilities in KH3. What is your point?

Ports/Remasters/ minigame tech demo=/=multiple full scale AAA HD titles. Also Square is a much bigger company than FS so it's a bit unfair to bring in something like WoFF that has handled by a different department.

I wasn't a huge fan of KH3 myself, but even I think this is a bit of a BS argument. Game development isn't the same. There was a 20 year gap between two Kid Icarus games, and the recent one was amazing! On the flipside, Melee had an incredibly short development cycle and it still turned out okay. Anthem had six years to get worked on and it's pretty much garbage. SuperHot and Surgeon Simulator were made in very short GameJam competitions. The list goes on.
KIU wasn't in development for 20 years, more like 4. Superhot & Surgeon Simulator are small scale and/or simplier graphics so they aren't exactly fair comparisons.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Ports/Remasters/ minigame tech demo=/=multiple full scale AAA HD titles. Also Square is a much bigger company than FS so it's a bit unfair to bring in something like WoFF that has handled by a different department.

Business Division 3 AKA Osaka developed WoFF in collaboration with Tose, so it is pretty fair to bring up lol

Edit: My point overall was that BD3 was working on many different projects while working on KH3, so why compare From Software's projects to Osaka's when they had plenty of projects in development. Are the Dark Souls games suddenly not just building off of the same thing over and over? Why do those games get a pass but Osaka literally having to rebuild various games from the ground up because SE didn't know how to preserve their projects on top of working on a massive project like KH3 and doing other projects on the side doesn't get a pass?

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

Business Division 3 AKA Osaka developed WoFF in collaboration with Tose, so it is pretty fair to bring up lol

Edit: My point overall was that BD3 was working on many different projects while working on KH3, so why compare From Software's projects to Osaka's when they had plenty of projects in development. Are the Dark Souls games suddenly not just building off of the same thing over and over? Why do those games get a pass but Osaka literally having to rebuild various games from the ground up because SE didn't know how to preserve their projects on top of working on a massive project like KH3 and doing other projects on the side doesn't get a pass?

because that wouldn't make for a snappy witty comment.

Comparing a KH game to any other game series seems strange to me. I don't know how much time it normally takes to make a game, but I feel like with as many people/companies that need to green light stuff it's not hard to imagine a KH game might need a bit longer and yet still they managed to basically release something almost each year.

Also I feel like we should note most sequels just reuse the previous gameplay and mechanics, while KH seems to try to reinvent it every other game, that would probably also need time to figure out and balance.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

Not really, ever since Dream Drop Distance, we have had Kingdom Hearts content released in a year.
Cheers if a 2-hour game, a garbage money-farming online game, and new versions of old content filled the void for you.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Cheers if a 2-hour game, a garbage money-farming online game, and new versions of old content filled the void for you.

*In Axel's combat voice* STAHP IT! JUST STAHP! Burn, baby! Let the flames burn you!

Perkilator

Awards

Hey, I enjoyed the hell out of the new versions of old co tent because most of those games I didn’t even have yet.

I agree with Union χ, though. But still, Square has plenty to do in 6 and a half years.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

I mean, this argument would be slightly relevant if Square Enix solely devoted their production to KH products, but they absolutely do not. The fuck?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

What an absolutely ridiculous premise for a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back