• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

In the name of Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit or In Jesus name? Which one is the correct way?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasy08

I want to get baptized because I feel like its time. I went to a few bible studies at some churches in my town and finally settled on one that is having a revival all this week, and will do a mass baptism to those who want it Friday as a conclusion.

I asked an usher at the church yesterday what exactly will the pastor do to baptize me. She said everything I thought at first white gown,pastor gets in water with you,dunks you fully etc. However she gave me pause when she said the prayer the pastor will say over me during the baptizing will be I baptize you in the name of Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. That doesn't sit well with me. Shouldn't he be saying I baptize you in the name of Jesus?

I checked and Matthew 28:19 does indeed say the following:
19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit."

However, Acts says this:
Acts 2:38, "And Peter said to them, “Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
Acts 10:48, "And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days."
Acts 19:5, "And when they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."

How Acts puts it seems like the right way to me. If the father, son, and the holy spirit are supposed to be referring to Jesus in the first place then why not just say his name? The bible says no one can see God unless they go through Jesus first. Throwing even more proof that saying in Jesus name for the baptism seems like the correct way. I mean when we pray, or if a priest does and exorcism, what do they say? IN JESUS NAME. So why is it when we are doing something as important as baptism we don't say his name? It seems odd to me and wrong.

This is really bothering me. I want to get baptized Friday,but I want to get it done with the correct prayer said over me. Which one is right? Are they both right? If I go on ahead and let him say the father, son, holy ghost am I even baptized? Can I get him to say in Jesus name or can a pastor decline that and say what they want? What denominations would say in Jesus name during a baptism?

I mean I can be okay if he said it like I baptize you in the name of Jesus the father, the son, and the holy ghost or I baptize you in the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost in Jesus name amen. Basically even if those titles refer to him I want his actual NAME to be said. Without it the baptism doesn't seem right to me. :(

Can one get baptized twice? I mean is the bible against that? What I'm thinking about doing is going on ahead with the father, son,holy ghost baptism tomorrow and then get baptized later with only in the name of Jesus being said that way I'll be covered either way whether Matthew is the correct way or Acts. Or I'll take a third option and not get baptized at all until I'm completely sure of the right way.

Note:I don't believe that solely getting baptized will get anyone into heaven. That's like saying I can get baptized tomorrow, and then knowingly sin it up everyday after until death, and still think I will see the gates. No, I believe baptism is simply a public declaration in front of god and a church congregation that I will repent of the sins I've already done before getting baptized, and will try not to knowingly sin afterwards.

Anyway what do you guys think? :)

Last edited:

Pirates

If he doesnt say the magic password, it wont work?

I dont think a god would care, considering it was apparently through his doing that the bible was created with those seemilngly contradictory orders.
Ohwell...
Either he was trolling you or it doesnt really matter.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards
Well, I think when you do the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit one, it kind of includes Jesus. I'm not sure if there's REALLY a set in stone version between the two, but thats how I got it done, and I trust my pastor to know what he's saying.

Last edited:

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't think God would really care which ever is said because they mean the same thing. A prayer doesn't even have to be said after someone is Baptized... Prayer just helps set the mood during.

Really, there are no guidelines to baptism.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
Well, Jesus Christ is the "Son" you are techinically saying the same thing.

You could just say both if you felt like it. ;p

Able_Beard

Banned
I would say all three, that's what I did, but Jesus works fine..any of the trinity counts, considering they are all the same.

They are all of one. Jesus is the Son, God is the King, and the Holy Spirit is blood (or what makes us free and saves us). Jesus is the son or God in the flesh which makes him the King and the Son, but thanks to his death on the cross he is the Holy Spirit because it is his blood that set us free. Just to clear up.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Well since Jesus is the second member of the Godhead, then saying it in the name of Jesus would kinda be the same thing. But I would prefer them to say, "In the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost" to include the whole being of God.

I really don't think it matters either way. It's just depends on if you prefer it one way or another. The important thing is that your baptized as a public showing of your faith in Christ.

Onasi

Honestly, if there is a God and he is the Christian God, I don't think he would mind which one you use. The important thing is what you do/say before or after you say those words. If he doesn't then it won't matter any way. I'm sure he'd forgive you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back