• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

In Reference To Mary Cassatt

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
156612_10150354224555697_617090696_15855615_2606673_n.jpg

Rough Draft of my final piece for Modern Art History.
Lillie asked us to do a piece in the style/reference of an artist we touched on during the course of the semester.
I chose Mary Cassatt's Reading Le Figaro. (Portrait of the Artist's Mother). 1878. Oil on canvas. Private collection.
http://www.abcgallery.com/C/cassatt/cassatt14.JPG
(there's a link in case you don't know of the portrait)

I figured since she painted picture of women in a higher standard of the time I figured I'd do the same (ironically I've never drawn my own mother). She's really all I got left and she's been through a hell of a lot in her life time so consider this a tribute if you will while a mandatory project.
You can't see it in this picture (yet), but she's reading the paper at her work desk.
The idea being that she's in her own world not acknowledging the camera so there is little to no connection with the model being used and the viewer (as there would be with eye contact). The similarities also being that I modeled her reading the paper and there's a mirror in the background (well going to be). The manner in which they're dressed for the time is an allusion to the class of both women.
On a side note, this has only taken me a little more than an hour to draw so far.

Last edited:

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
72076_10150362570555697_617090696_15986171_6969845_n.jpg

An updated version of the inspiration piece on Mary Cassatt.
Got this back today and even though it was unfinished I got an A- on it. I'm guessing the minus was because it's not done, but it's an A so I'm happy.
I got the arms, hands and the majority of the lower parts finished, now I've just gotta finish up her scarf, hair, the background and any other small details I want to touch up.
I'm starting to notice that my portraits are beginning to take on a painters quality to them but in pencil (maybe I should start experimenting with PrismaColors...).

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
i think you'd do good in anatomy/ portrait art, like those people who use charcoal pencils, and pastels. But Prisma Colors are a good start. There damn expensive but i did some work on here with prisma colors. I bet you'd do much better than me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back