• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Important interesting topic. Must read

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
It's possible, but not easy. You should probably do more research, and I mean A LOT more research before you jump the gun. There have been people who tried to do similar to what you're thinking and it sometimes doesn't end well. Especially because humans by nature are social creatures and stuff like cabin fever tends to kick in rapidly. You have to ask yourself a lot of important questions and chose your area carefully, because if you plan to live far away from society, you might be too out of reach from the things you need, unless you really stock up.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Keep in my mind, if you're too far away and something life threatening happens to you, you'll require help of some kind. Remember your health and whereabouts are important, because you don't want to be too far away for anyone to help you or know that you exist, should you go missing and such. And a hospital or clinic will be useful for other things. :3

In any case, you're eighteen and should try to expand your comfort zone a little bit at a time.

Awards
Keep in my mind, if you're too far away and something life threatening happens to you, you'll require help of some kind. Remember your health and whereabouts are important, because you don't want to be too far away for anyone to help you or know that you exist, should you go missing and such. And a hospital or clinic will be useful for other things. :3

In any case, you're eighteen and should try to expand your comfort zone a little bit at a time.

What do you expand? O.O I'll really like to know.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
same thing i did. talk to people a little at a time, preferably people you know or closer to you, and eventually it'll feels natural.

komodoturtle

Nasa is doing an experiment where people are being isolated for an entire year, to simulate mars missions, so maybe see how that goes?
In all honesty though all people are imperfect, so there will always be something about them that annoys you whichis something you just have to get over.
Have you tried seeing a councilor to talk it over?

bgizzles45

quote-he-who-delights-in-solitude-is-either-a-wild-beast-or-a-god-friedrich-nietzsche-82-35-83.jpg

Awards
Some people do it, although it's very likely you might become insane from loneliness. We are so used to being part of a society that it is very hard to adjust to being alone. The people who have been in very small communities for generations, have been exactly that - in small communities for generations. They're used to it. It would also be very hard in this day and age to be on your own like that. You will have to interact with other people to buy things and get a mortgage and work.

Also, if you still have the internet, you're still connected with the world. You're going to know all about those imperfect people and the things they do. :p Although if you live in the middle of nowhere, the reception is going to suck, and if it's in Alaska the snow might cause a lot of issues and knock the internet out a lot.

rur609.jpg

Even the Amish use cellphones and go through drive-thrus.

Last edited:

noxy

Oh to be young and full of crazy ideas again.

Here's the thing, young fawn... If it's complete and total isolation you're looking for (because let's face it, we all know I didn't read anything other than the OP because that's just what I do most of the time. I'm sorry), you aren't going to get it no matter how hard you try. You will have to interact with someone face-to-face at some point.

I myself am a pretty socially isolated person. It isn't necessarily by choice, it's just that I've gone through over 20 years of constantly being very hurt, disappointed, and let down by people in general- including my own family. So I'm incredibly weary of anyone new coming into my life. I'm very protective of myself and my feelings and my kindness now. Because if I choose to let someone in, it's usually not just an "Oh this is an acquaintance I sometimes have lunch with" type of thing. It's more of a "I will go out of my way to be there for you if/when you need me" thing. And 9/10 it never ends well for me and I'm left emotionally drained and depressed. And once someone screws me over/hurts me, I'm done. I cut them out and I don't look back.

I have my fiance. And I'm lucky to have him, and I'm very glad I do, but that's pretty much it. I have a very small handful of friends that I love dearly even though I rarely get to see them because of distance, but I'm okay with that. I know they're there and they know I'm here and we talk fairly often. My fiance is pretty much my only form of physical, face-to-face social interaction on a daily basis. And that's also okay.

ANYWAY.

You're only 17, mate. You're hitting that age where you think you have it all figured out and you know it all and you know exactly what you want in life, but trust me when I say you don't. And you won't until much much later on. I'm talking like 10+ years. I'm 30 and while I -do- kind of have my major life stuff figured out for the most part, things are still iffy for me. I haven't been in 1 home for more than a year in 11 years. Where I live now, this is the very first time I've -ever- renewed a lease on an apartment as an adult.

Don't go all gung ho on this idea. Go to college, get a degree, do all that stuff and live your life now. You're selling yourself short by automatically assuming that being entirely isolated is what you truly want. You don't want to jump into something like that. I can almost guarantee you that in 6 months or a year down the road, you'll be kicking yourself and regretting your situation and wishing you'd done something different.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
I hardly have friends. Nor am I close with family, apart from my younger sister, who is unreliable for eight months out of the year.

Instead I rely mostly on myself. I walk around and look at things, watch the clouds, listen to obscure Pandora stations on my headphones. I stop and read books somewhere mostly forgotten. I talk to people in lines and convenience stores and grocery stores. It's a strange life to live outside of the norm, but depending on who and how you are, it's not so bad at all.

'when the going gets weird
the weird turn pro.'
HST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back