• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Import Help Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu

an obscene gesture
Official Import Thread

Note: From now on, all other threads about imported games will be closed. If you have any questions about your imported KH2, TV-sets, swap magic disks, etc, please post them here, so that other members of KHI can answer them.

For now, I will only give a short summary of the things you need to play an imported game from the US, on your European PS2. This first post will roughly explain what you will need to do to play an imported game on your own PS2. It will make sure the members with questions know where to go if they want advice, rather than checking multiple threads in the KH2 section.

-----

Swap Magic Disk

The best and easiest way to play an imported game from the US on your European PS2, is by using a Swap magic disk. This is a small set which is available at most of the bigger game stores in pretty much all of Europe. If you can't find it in any of your local stores, you can also go to eBay for it. eBay has several domains, most European countries have their own eBay domain, such as; www.ebay.co.uk (UK), www.ebay.nl (Netherlands), www.ebay.de (Germany), www.ebay.fr (France), and so on.

Swap Magic Disk is completely legal and will not result in your PS2 losing its warranty, unlike the infamous way of modding your PS2 by using a modchip.

Official Swap Magic disk site. <-- click for further instructions.

Swap Magic FAQ <-- handy guide. Might want to check this out if you're experiencing problems with your swap magic disk or your PS2.

The price of a Swap Magic set varies, but is usually inbetween $10 - $30.
Go here if you want to convert prices from another currency to yours.

-----

This post will be updated with additional info in the future if needed. In the meanwhile, everyone who has any questions or comments is welcome to post them. Note that every off-topic post in here will be deleted, to keep the thread clean and on-topic.

Last edited:

NiteHawk

Re: Import Thread: All import questions will be handled here.

it would probably be easier to buy a cheap used US used PS2 then moddifying you PS2... ive seen used ps2s in the uUS run for about 100$ or lower.

Modding ur system = it dying horribly

Ryu

an obscene gesture

Well modding your PS2 is something else than using a swap magic disk. Modding your PS2 is illegal, and your PS2 will lose its warranty if you modify it. But a swap magic disk is completely legal, and won't harm your PS2.

NiteHawk

"Swap Magic 3 has better compatibility, and supports all PS2 models, including PSTwo SCPH-70000. Swap Magic 3 allows you to boot up your own application or game software CDs and DVDs on your PS2 console. Swap Magic 3 MUST be used with easy no-soldier mod-chip -OR- Slide Tool / Flip Top Cover. Swap Magic 3 is the perfect solution for playing backups. Avoid dangerous modifications to your game console! Don't wait for the latest PS2 games to be released in your country! You only have to swap the disc ONCE even with DVD games! Easy operation!"

Says it requires a mod chip....

Ryu

an obscene gesture

no-soldier mod-chip -OR- Slide Tool / Flip Top Cover.

The slide tool comes with most swap magic sets, if I'm not mistaken.

basoulah

use action replay max it has an option that let's you play games from us europe and japan

DrBanxon

Styles Upon Styles

basoulah said:
use action replay max it has an option that let's you play games from us europe and japan
Yeah, the Action Replay can play impoted games, I gots one for my GameCube.

Squirrel

i need one for a couple of my online ps2 games to get them secrete characters cuz im allergic to campaign modes

the king mickey

okay i have a qeustion
if you have a slidecard in your ps2 can he
still play european games?
is it for sure he will play the american game?
can it be bad for my ps2?

thats all for now

Ryu

an obscene gesture

Yes, it can still play European games. It's also sure it can play American games, and no, it's not bad for your PS2. For more info you can also check out this site.

the king mickey

there stands he can play games that are downloaden from internet but not games buyed in a shop

so are you sure?

sorry for the bad english

and how do you make so a link what you have from click here?

Last edited:

kthundercat

I'm extremely confused, I'm assuming the flip-top is for the newer PS2's, and the slode tool for the older ones, I have an older one and what would I slide??? All it shows on the website are the 2 discs, wheres the slide tool?

Oathy

phantom thief
Awards
Website
vintage-aerith.deviantart.com
"I want to buy FM+ and play it on my American PS2..."

Q: What IS Swap Magic 3 and why do you need it to play import games?
A:
Dogenzaka said:
The Swap Magic discs boot up your PS2 into recognizing back-ups, imports. When you put the Swap Magic disc in, your PS2 will load it, and it will tell you to swap the disc out, and put in your KH2FM+ (or whatever import game you're playing). To do this, without your PS2 resetting yourself, you use the slide tool to pull out the disc tray, swap the discs, and push it back in. Simple.

Q: Now, Oathy, where do I get this wonderful Swap Magic tool set?
A: Well, it's very simple, fellow KHI-er...simply visit Welcome to Swap Magic 3 Official Web Site and purchase it.

Q: I have a PS3. Will it work on there?
A: Nope, sorry. I hope you still have your PS2.

Q: But what if I have a slim-model PS2?
A: You can buy the slim-model set, but be aware that this particular version will require you to actually detach the entire top cover of your console to install a new flap-top that will open with the slide tool.

Q: I can't get FM+! (Oh, the humanity!) Where can I see all the pwntastic vids from it?
A: Keep an eye on the main site...we've got a member on the case, and we will have them just as soon as that member gets through the games and captures the videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 36435

Do you need to swap the discs for this or does it just load?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar

I posted a thread with a good FAQ:

~I WANT TO PLAY KH2FM+ FAQ thread~

Q: I WANNA PLAY KH2FM+ NOW. I WON'T WAIT. How do I do this?
A: You will need either to
1.) Buy Swap Magic + appropriate tools.
2.) Other form of import-playing hardware/software device for the PS2.
3.) Install a modchip on your PS2.
4.) Buy a Japanese PS2.

Q: I want to get playing right away. What's the cheapest way to play imports?
A: Most probably Swap Magic 3 + Appropriate tools needed to use it.

Q: What is Swap Magic?
A: Swap Magic is a disc for your PlayStation 2 that allows you to play PS2/PS1 import games and back up games on your console.

Q: Why use Swap Magic instead of modding my console?
A: Unlike a mod-chip to play imports/backups, Swap Magic does not damage your console, nor require you to open it up and destroy its warranty with Sony. It's a very cheap alternative, ranging from $15-40 depending on what you want and need.

Q: So how do I use it?
A: To use Swap Magic, you will need Magic Switch, Slide Tool, Slim Cover, or Flip Top Cover to allow Swap Magic to work. These tools can be sold seperately or in a bundle with your Swap Magic purchase.

Q: How do I know which tool I need?
A: If you have this type of PS2 (the fat kind):
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCPH-50000
SCPH-50001
SCPH-50002
SCPH-50003
SCPH-50004
SCPH-50010
SCPH-55001
SCPH-55006
SCPH-55007
SCPH-55010
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCPH-39000
SCPH-39001
SCPH-39002
SCPH-39003
SCPH-39004
SCPH-39008
SCPH-37000
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCPH-30000R
SCPH-30001R
SCPH-30002R
SCPH-30003R
SCPH-30004R
SCPH-30006R
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCPH-35004
SCPH-35003
SCPH-35002
SCPH-35001
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCPH-30004
SCPH-30003
SCPH-30002
SCPH-30001
SCPH-30000
[/FONT]

You will need EITHER a Slide Tool, or Flip Top Cover.

If you have this type of PS2 (slim/skinny kind):
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCPH-70000 (Japan)
SCPH-70002
SCPH-70003 (UK)
SCPH-70004 (Europe)
SCPH-70011 (North America)
SCPH-70012 (USA)

You will need EITHER a Magic Switch kit, or Slim Top Cover.

[/FONT]Q: So how do I use this stuff?
A: For Slide Tool:
1.) Insert your Swap Magic disc into the PS2
2.) When it tells you to swap discs (make sure the cover to your PS2 disc tray has been taken off. This can be taken off simply by pulling it off, or in some cases, taking a small screw off the bottom of the disc tray. Don't worry, everything can be replaced or put back on or repaired with super glue if you break anything by accident), take your Slide Tool and slip it inside the crease in your PS2 disc tray, slide it to the right, until you hear a "click" and pull the tray out.
3.) Take out the Swap Magic disc and replace it with your import/backup.
4.) Push the tray back in the console, take the Slide Tool and slide it back in, and push it to the left to lock the tray back in the console.
5.) Boot up your disc, and you can now play your import/backup.
Slide Tool Demo Video

For Slim Top Cover/ Flip Top Cover:
1.) (Make sure the case to your PS2 has been taken off, and replaced with the Slim Top Cover/Flip Top Cover) Insert your Swap Magic disc and wait for the menu to come up.
2.) When it's time to swap discs, open the lid to your Slim Top Cover/
Flip Top Cover, and exchange the Swap Magic disc with your import/backup.
3.) Boot up your disc, and now you can play your import/backup.
Slim Top Cover Installation Guide
Flip Top Cover Installation Guide
Flip Top/Slim Top Cover Demo Video

For Magic Switch:
There are three models currently available, Magic Switch v2, v3, and PRO. Each have different methods of installation.
(You need Adobe Reader to see these .pdf formats)
Magic Switch Pro Installation Guide
Magic Switch v3
Magic Switch v2
Installation Guide

They all work the same and perform the same, however, some versions have smaller, less tools, more tools, etc. I recommend Magic Switch PRO, because it has less tools and is easier to use.

Magic Switch Demo Video

Q: How do I take off the cover to my PS2 disc tray?
A: Link

Q: Can't I just buy a modchip and install it myself?
A: Sure, but remember
1.) You'll void your warranty (if you still have one)
2.) Risk damaging your console
3.) Have to know how to do it.
4.) Have to pay more than you would for Swap Magic/tools.

You could of course, take your PS2 to a console mod shop and have them mod it for you. It's quite costly though.

Mod Chip

Q: Where can I find more info?
A: Welcome to Swap Magic 3 Official Web Site

Q: Where can I buy a Japanese PS2? I decided I'll go with that option.
A:
Play-Asia
YesAsia
eBay
Amazon

Q: Where did you get yours/What did you get?
A: I got Swap Magic Coder Plus + Slide Tool kit at ModMonster - Playstation, PS2, PSTwo, PSone, PS1 and XBox Console Modchip, Mod Chips, Boot Disk, HDAdvance, USBeXtreme, Flip Top Cover, Flip-Top Case Lid, Slide Card and Game Boy Advance/GBA/NDS Products
Swap Magic Coder works just like the latest version of Swap Magic 3, it allows me to play imports/backups, but it also allows me to use Action Replay codes.

Q: So now, where do I buy KH2FM+?
A: There are plenty of online stores that carry it.
Play-Asia
YesAsia
eBay
Amazon
Media-World
JapanVideoGames

Q: Can I change/cancel my order for Swap Magic/KH2FM+?
A: Each online retailer has different policies. You should check their customer support and return/order policies.

Q: What can I use to pay for my Swap Magic/KH2FM+ order?
A: Each online retailer has different payment policies. You should check their customer support and payment policies. However, most online retailers accept credit card, debit/check card, money orders, checks, bank account transfers, and PayPal. Check with them to see what payment options they offer.

Q: What is PayPal?
A: PayPal is an online merchant/money transfer service free of use. It's extremely safe, secure, and it allows you to do money transactions online without anyone knowing your personal information. You can transfer money to/from your bank account, credit/debit/check cards, PayPal account, request invoices, send money, and do it all in a safe environment.
PayPal

Hope that answers any questions.

Let me know if you have any more to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back