• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Images update

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

The Midnighter

Tech Geek
Awards
Alright! Premium members are going to have a 20% increase from what regular members have.
So when an image size is set for members, I'll give you two image sizes; Premium & Regular.

Unfortunatly, the 2nd image isn't allowed, it's just too much :(

spdude

I think there's a rotator script you can employ which would alternate between both images.. meaning a diffieren't one would show on each refresh.. probably not what you want, but just thought I'd mention it

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
54KB?

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find the answer. What is taking up all the bandwidth? Is it really the images? That seems a bit crazy.

The Jordan

Bronze Member
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't know much at all about the workings of websites, but here I go:
If every one has one 45kb image in their sig, at 15 posts per thread, that's 657kb a page on images alone, which is a lot considering the number of pages the forum has.

Milky

Grown Up
Website
www.izuraproductions.com
Animations and huge wallpapers which users put in their sigs, take up most space.

My tag is over 54KB im sure, But at least im not taking up the 100+ something which people with animations do.

edit: Turns out my sig is 98 KB =/. But the image is hosted on another site...doesnt that not take a toll on the server here?

Spic Steve

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOL
Awards
Animations and huge wallpapers which users put in their sigs, take up most space.

My tag is over 54KB im sure, But at least im not taking up the 100+ something which people with animations do.

edit: Turns out my sig is 98 KB =/. But the image is hosted on another site...doesnt that not take a toll on the server here?

Milky has a good point. Why not just set a size restriction? (Still no 2 images)

Spic Steve

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOL
Awards
I always upload to imageshack, that upload feature never worked for me.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
http://www.imagerotation.com/

That's for image rotation.

We are going to start by cracking down on more then one image per signature. Please use the image rotation service if you love to show off all your sigs!

We are not going to be completely anal about this though, but the KB limit is about 60ish, that is to say thought that if we see an 80kb signature we are not going to immediatly remove it, this is mainly to crack down on people using 200+kb signatures, which even if you want good quality is ridiculous.

spdude

ok.. posted this in the other thread also.... since it was off topic there.. need to repaste here:

Need to post off topic. Many of you are aware of the site lagging and even gowing down completely for short periods of time. A main cause of this is signiture images with large file size. We recently set rules regarding this:

http://forums.khinsider.com/showthread.php?t=77518

An extremely major misconception ppl have with this is they think if the image is hosted on another site it will not affect our page load speeds. That is just simply wrong. We are not talking about bandwidth. The reality is images hosted on other sites are worse.. since if our server is fine, but that other site is experiencing some issues, this will hang OUR page.. since it needs to wait for the other server to respond! when this is occuring 5-10 and even more times per page load, and hundreds of them are occuring every second at peak times, the result is a total mess.

So... I just went ahead and deleted five sig images from various users that were in violation of our limits, or had two images instead of just one which is also a violation. Others I left including some 80-90kb images, expecting those users to fix them up themselves.

Unfortunately some of the staff members still haven't appreciated the gravity of this, which is the reason I'm needing to post about it. Hopefully the above explanation will prove helpful.

The image rotator thing is fine.. but one major drawback.. at least for me is it doesn't allow you to quickly view the file size.. so we're hoping people will use it responcibly.. if someone is caught with something huge within image rotation, the entire thing will need to be deleted. The only way to check (for me) would be to save the image to my desktop and then view the size {shrug}...

Back