• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I'm starting to think that...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MASTER260

Awards
...Dream Eaters are Kingdom Hearts being inspired by Pokemon. Which makes it ironic, since, "Dream Eater," is such a classic Pokémon move.

I mean, they've sorta hinted that you collect them, fight with them, & fight against them, so, yeah..

EDIT: Changed it to, "inspired by." Think that's a little nicer.

Last edited:

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
hey, I like pokemon, I like Kingdom Hearts
why not both in the same game?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
...Dream Eaters are Kingdom Hearts ripping off Pokemon. Which makes it ironic, since, "Dream Eater," is such a classic Pokémon move.

I mean, they've sorta hinted that you collect them, fight with them, & fight against them, so, yeah...

Like the concept of Pokemon was particularly revolutionary. They're pretty much all combat pets.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
You do realize there was also Digimon, and a much larger collection of monster battling games, right? And if anything, I believe that it draws inspiration from Spectrobes, which Disney created, was a very good game, and should become a world in Dream Drop Distance.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
olololol because other series like Dragon Quest, FF, and others haven't used the monster collecting theme before and this is all totally blatant ripoff from Pokemon okay olololol

MASTER260

Awards
You do realize there was also Digimon, and a much larger collection of monster battling games, right? And if anything, I believe that it draws inspiration from Spectrobes, which Disney created, was a very good game, and should become a world in Dream Drop Distance.
Pokemon came before Digimon...

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Pokemon came before Digimon...

World of Warcraft will have Pogeymans in their next expansion (along with Kung Fu Pandas), don't see why you need to be so hot and bothered by all this :/

SQE is just making a game for people to buy and enjoy. You can hate it or play it.

I don't recall Pokemon Trainers being able to fly around and use weapons. I personally just see the Dream Eaters as pseudo-party members for Sora and Riku, to help them in the game. Don't worry, I don't think they'll need a Poke-dreamball to catch these.

>8(

MASTER260

Awards
World of Warcraft will have Pogeymans in their next expansion (along with Kung Fu Pandas), don't see why you need to be so hot and bothered by all this :/

SQE is just making a game for people to buy and enjoy. You can hate it or play it.

I don't recall Pokemon Trainers being able to fly around and use weapons. I personally just see the Dream Eaters as pseudo-party members for Sora and Riku, to help them in the game. Don't worry, I don't think they'll need a Poke-dreamball to catch these.

>8(

I'm not bothered by it, I just wanted to point it out EDIT: Actually, in retrospect, maybe a Kingdom Hearts forum wasn't the best place to do that.

Keystaff Master

It shouldn't be surprising that Pokémon is the first thing to come to mind: it's on a handheld platform, it involves collecting monsters for use in battle, etc. I'd chalk that more up to the presence Pokémon has though and less to it being a Pokémon rip-off or anything. Honestly, yeah, it's more like Spectrobes. Even still, I have no complaints and the augmented reality integration just sounds awesome to me (not to mention color customization!).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm not bothered by it, I just wanted to point it out EDIT: Actually, in retrospect, maybe a Kingdom Hearts forum wasn't the best place to do that.

Honestly the argument is very weak in the first place. Like I said, there have been many series that have used a "monster collecting" theme. TO say KH is inspired or ripping off Pokemon is like saying every monster collection game was ripping off Pokemon. Who cares? It is all got its own style. :\

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
Was Pokemon the first to use that? I would think that the concept could have been used before... Might be wrong, though.

Shin Megami Tensei used the concept of 'capturing monsters to fight alongside them', though SMT did it in the method of negotiating and recruiting. And I think Dragon Quest also dabbled in it with Dragon Quest V in 1992, though it wasn't in as detailed as SMT.

Pokemon was revolutionary in that its monster-training mechanic is so accessible and its cute art style resonated a lot with the children and female market, whilst still being competitive for the male market.

Grey

"Dream Eaters are based on Pokemon ironic because Dream Eater is a Pokemon Move"

That's not ironic. That's coincidental, maybe. Irony is when there is a discrepancy between how something is and what it is said/meant to be.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
no they ripped it off of underground bulldog fights. i think the owners of those dogs should sue Nomura

really it could be anything, not just pokemon

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think a ton of you forget that other games in the world use monster capturing/farming style gameplay and it is not just Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back