• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I'm pretty much like a kawaii Dr. Phil

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I hope it helps.

Thanks so much for your response. I'll definitely check out the film you mentioned.

I think it's the feeling of obligation and expectation that's most bothering me. I feel like I HAVE to see or speak to certain friends on a regular basis, when really that shouldn't be the case. If someone is truly a friend, then the friendship should almost be effortless. A social life shouldn't need 'organization'.

Also, I have felt like I need to be 'friends' with guys who I've dated and then decided I'm not into. It's really annoying...I have few of those that I don't object to being friends with, but at the same time, they're just another person that I've got to make time to see and maintain a friendship with.

Whilst I was reading through your post and thinking abut some of the questions you posed, I realised that this feeling of adverseness to social interaction it might be some kind of repressed disappointment at certain friends of mine who haven't been particularly supportive.

A couple of examples. When I was going through that separation with the guy I was most recently seeing, a few of my friends were just straight up unhelpful. I remember them saying stuff like "lol if you care about boys", "just hold out for a good asian", "kupo! it and move on", "you can always kupo! me instead" etc etc. I also had to go to hospital the other day, and a friend texted inviting me out to dinner - when I said I couldn't make it as I was in accident & emergency, he was just like "LOL why".

And yet some of these people are constantly hitting me up, in a somewhat demanding manner, and don't take it well when I'm unavailable. They expect me to be highly involved in their lives, but are willing to gloss over things that are important to me.

Pretty much all of my close friends are male, and most of them can lack sensitivity a lot of the time - unintentionally so, I know they do care about me, they can be pretty scathing and judgmental to others. But actually, maybe it's time to slightly loosen ties, if they're negatively affecting my self-esteem and not giving me what I need out of a friendship?

As a side note, for some awkward reason I felt compelled to ask my best friend from uni out on an ironic valentine's excursion involving going to every fried chicken restaurant in North London to make up for me ditching him on a few other occasions. It was also so I'd already have plans, as I anticipated a few other people were going to ask me to do something. Now I really don't want to honour that commitment, so am going to have to find an excuse to cancel. Ugh.

First off, I'd like to know how that Valentine's deal ended up, haha. Mainly because hitting up every fried chicken restaurant in North London sounds difficult. Well, maybe it's not that difficult for you, since I have to remember you live in London and I live in America (a.k.a. The United States of Obesity).

Anyway, do you wonder why you feel that obligation or expectation? Do you expect people to be there when you request it- are you used to it? Is it maybe that you feel a little rejected if someone says they can't hang out with you, for whatever the reason may be? But yes, a friendship shouldn't need organization. You should be able to hang out impromptu, so long as you know what each others' previous obligations are like.

With the post-relationship part, that's a tricky one. On one hand, I really dislike it when a person just burns every bridge they cross, but I especially hate when people simply pretend to be friends. It's hard letting someone down, though. If you don't want to make time to hang out with somebody, just don't do it. It's not like you're dating the person anymore; you shouldn't feel compelled to do stuff with them or talk to them just because they want you to, still. If you don't want to be with that person or care to reconcile things, then so be it. And if you just need a lot of 'me time', tell people. If it's nothing personal against them, just say 'hey, i don't want to sound like this has anything to do with you, because it doesn't, but i just need a lot of alone time.' Anyone who actually wants to be your friend should take that with a grain of salt and accept it as it is, a part of how you are. But as to why you've become more socially reclusive, it could be due to friends that just aren't fulfilling that need you have of them as friends. There's a certain understanding that people need to be friends, and if someone isn't sympathetic enough- or alternatively, is too sympathetic- it can be a real let-down on their character.

I know it always seems really hard to get proper advice when going through a break-up. As for me, most friends go something along the lines of "she's not good enough for you anyways", "kupo! her", "bitches aint nothing but tricks and hoes bro", "just go out and get some mad pussy" etc. While I know they're trying to encourage me to be happy about it, it just makes me feel like they know nothing about how I feel/felt about that person. They seem to forget that even though, yes I should move, those kinds of things aren't what people need to hear in that moment. Still, I'd try not to take that heart to if you can help it, but that might mean they might not be best for being your 'closest' friends. That part about where you were in the hospital is pretty uncalled for, though.

I would suggest finding some people who are more of what you need in close friends. I'm not going to say you should just stop being friends with those people, and I'm sure you don't have that in mind anyways. Still, just hang out with whomever seems best. It shouldn't be too complicated. If things aren't cutting it though, maybe try being a little more extroverted? I know that can be a hard thing to do- it's a lot easier just being how you are, but if you're beginning to grow unhappy with your current set of friends, it's something to think about.

Back to the Valentine's thing though, try not to put yourself in those situations just to have plans already. While I know it's easier to just say 'I already had plans with somebody, sorry', just say no in a situation like that. Hell, you can just say you already have plans, even if they're just plans for being with yourself. You could say something like 'sorry man, but I've had plans for a long time. maybe we can hang out some other time' or something along those lines.

Also, since it has been a month, has anything changed really? Have they gotten better, worse, or simply stayed about the same?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I'm starting to reach a point in my life where the girls around me aren't absolutely retarded or superficial and I might be interested in dating. Problem is, I haven't dated since I was 14. I don't even know how to not be friend-zoned. But I don't want to be a douche, and I'm not interested in one-night-stands or hooking up at parties, I want a serious relationship. Give me dating 101 for approaching girls and coming off as maybe interested in a relationship with the right girl, but not grossly desperate.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
If you see a girl often, and you recognize that you see her around campus often, talk to her. Seriously. if you see her a lot now by random chance, her knowing who you are means that every one of those random encounters gets to be a stop and say "hi" moment or just a time you can wave/smile at her

If you have same classes with her too, even better because then you can just start up a conversation there. if not, try to talk to her in one of the random encounters if you happen to be walking in the same direction. Girls are usually never opposed to just conversation if it seems like there's a casual reason for it, and not like you going out of your way. Once you have a conversation, facebook that shit, comment on her shit so she knows your name, keep up the smile/wave shit, and then just ask her to a damn party.

Like, I saw this girl around a ton, had precisely 0 classes with her but knew we were in the same year. one time we were exiting the dining hall at the same time, so I walked with her where she was going and talked to her (see: asked her questions about herself because bitches love to talk about themselves), and then added her on facebook. once I knew there was a party going on I was just like "oh hey, what're you doing saturday because I know of this one house having a party, should be fun". if you ask someone to a party, it's an indication of interest, but not an overbearing "go on a date" shit. parties don't mean one night stands, but it does mean they get to see you be personable, have fun, girls love dancing, and they'll remember you

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
wait what's a girl

Anyway, speaking of pretending to be friends with people...

I need to burn bridges with phony friends who I can't stand (at all, seriously, why these douches try to hang out with me escapes my mind) but despite them being assholes and tools, I don't like being rude and despite what I think of them, they genuinely think I'm their friend. I don't want my apathy or disdain for them to place them in a bad spot by accident but I don't want the situation to turn ugly. I've tried limiting my interactions with them but I don't want to be an asshole either so uh, help?

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Also, since it has been a month, has anything changed really? Have they gotten better, worse, or simply stayed about the same?

It hasn’t been too bad recently, to be honest. I think that was just a particularly bad time in the because I hadn’t had much of my own space – but it helped to have a rant :)

I’m still making excuses instead of telling people bluntly that I don’t want to hang out. That’s just me failing to be assertive and say no. I know that I should be able to choose and define my own friendships/ relationships instead of getting swallowed into what other people’s expectations...

I guess this is all stuff that I need to work on.

Awards
Kinda got carried away with life, etc., but it's been half a year since anyone posted in this thread so I'm not sure what/if the things posted are still relevant or prevalent in your lives. However, I plan to revive this. So, if you posted something before and would still like an answer, just say so.

Otherwise, people can just post what's up and I'll just see what I can do for all the posts after this one.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back