• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Im Not happy-What happened to my Sora?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth Kiara

SPOILER

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] I need your opinion, because SOra is/was my hero and Kairi is my character, but IM PISSED with how they ended Sora should have been the one to pass, HE was the main character HE was the true key Blade Weilder, and he FAILS? How can the writters Just changed it like this I DONT LIKE IT[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HELP ME ACCEPT THIS[/FONT]

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Things happen. Besides, Sora would most likely pass in KH3.

Rosebudx

Awards
Arguably, Terra was more skilled at using the Keyblade than Sora and he didn't pass, either. I personally like that Sora didn't pass on his first go 'round, because I get tired of my favorite characters always living in sunshine/roses land. Makes him more relatable.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
... If you think being the main protagonist gives a character a free pass for success in everything they do, you need to read more stories.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Sora shouldn't have passed and I honestly hope he never passes. The writers made the right choice and to go back on it in KH3 would be the shameful thing, imo.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, yeah. Sora's already a master in his heart, folks <3

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
It's almost like the dude don't need to be declared special to do amazing things. Idk. Maybe that's a theme or something? Again idk. idk.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So what if Sora didn't pass, anyways? Sora has never been one for formalities and titles. He's a simple guy who just wants to keep his friends safe and spend time with them and no fancy name is going to stop him from doing that.

Sora doesn't need the title. It is useless to him. Why does Sora need to be a master anyways? What is there in being a master that Sora couldn't achieve on his own without the title?

Ree

i agree with the OP actually
the following is from dethroning moment of suck (Kingdom Hearts) - not my entry:

• Charleston Man: Riku becoming the official Keyblade Master while Sora fails the test. Because what better way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the original game than to piss on it's unique twist of Riku The Chosen One ultimately losing out to The Unchosen One? Now the guy who was meant to be the Keyblade Master all along is the Keyblade Master, and Sora's just a lucky fool. How insultingly boring.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
i agree with the OP actually
the following is from dethroning moment of suck (Kingdom Hearts) - not my entry:

• Charleston Man: Riku becoming the official Keyblade Master while Sora fails the test. Because what better way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the original game than to piss on it's unique twist of Riku The Chosen One ultimately losing out to The Unchosen One? Now the guy who was meant to be the Keyblade Master all along is the Keyblade Master, and Sora's just a lucky fool. How insultingly boring.

It's almost like they don't really understand the theme behind Sora's character or something.

Ree

the failure will build up to something but atm i dont think its good writing.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
It may not be what certain fans want, but it is thematically consistent with who Sora's character has always been and what his story is actually about, which in this case is better writing than if he had passed the test, since that goes against Sora's character.

But I'm pretty tired of having the same argument for the past four years since the game came out so I'm just going to drop it.

(lol so many of my posts these days are like 'i am too tired of having the same circular arguments over and over again'. i should probably just leaaaaave at this point)

Muke

whatever
Awards
I'm happy Riku passed, even though I don't really like Riku. And, like the others said, Sora didn't really want that Title, either. So

redcrown

Awards
Half of me thinks Sora deserved the title or at least is owed some kind of honor for all he had done in the series.

The other half of me thinks it doesn't really matter, everyone knows Sora is the most powerful keyblade wielder of the GoL, and it's just a title earned only from Sora and Riku's success in saving the dream worlds and coming back. A better method of deciding who to crown master than the way in BBS definitely. Sora didn't care anyway, he did it really to just support Riku.

Not saying Riku didn't deserve a confidence booster and some recognition for all he had/has done, of course he did, but it's kind of weird to say he's more of a master of the keyblade than Sora.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm actually baffled that so many people always have to bring up stuff from the past like i.e. Riku fallling to Darkness in KH 1 or Sora saving the worlds twice et cetera.

Uh guys, none of these things matter for the Mark of Mastery exam in DDD, at least not for the scoring. Taking these things into account would give Sora an unfair headstart and Riku a disadvantage from the get go making the test unbalanced and playing favorites with Sora.

In RL you also do not get extra points in an exam just because you had a better grade in the previous one.

Besides, this "HE's the MAIN character and thus should get everything" seriously needs to stop.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
What does Sora need a useless title for? The Mark of Mastery is nothing more than a formality, Sora even says such. He shouldn't get a fancy title he doesn't care for simply because he's the main character.

Sora didn't take the test as seriously as Riku. Sora let his Heart be overcome by Darkness when he kept chasing the pain in his dreams, and if Ven's Hearts wasn't there to save him things would have been much worse.

Riku never faltered.

Sora was happy for Riku being granted the title and didn't care that he didn't get it himself. Because Sora is Sora.

Awards
East of England, Buried in a Void of Non-Existence
The idea of the Mark of Mastery exam was to help Sora and Riku learn how to wield the Keyblades more effectively, anyway. In that sense, Sora passed.

And besides, the main part of Sora's character has always been that he's just... ordinary. There's nothing drastically special about him, aside from the connections he has with people and where he draws his strength from. He's not a master, he can't control darkness, he's not pure of heart. Sora is just... well, Sora. If anything, Sora's failing the test only proves him to be even more impressive and commendable, doing the things he does, fighting bad guys and saving the day in ways that no-one else can, without the kinds of skills and preparation that others had.

Being a Master doesn't make the character any better or worse, either. I mean, Masters don't have it all that good anyway - Eraqus was beaten by his own pupil, and is now playing Heartception/being a matryoshka doll with Terra and Xehanort. Aqua's skipping stones with Ansem the Wise, waiting to be rescued by Sora. Xehanort's just... well, Xehanort. Yen Sid doffed that mantle, but allows people to call him Master anyway. Heaven knows what's in store for Riku at this point.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Sora didn't "not pass" because he's "bad" or anything.
But what Riku did (become a dream eater without realizing it, dive into Sora's heart again to save him)...that's just different.
Sora doesn't even CARE for the title, so why does he need it? He's already superspecialawesome and doesn't need it, but for Riku, it was a way to show him that he is worthy of the keyblade. Sora doesn't need that acknowledgement, but Riku did. Shoving it in Sora's ass instead would not only have been ironic after some of the stupid things he did in this game, but also a big punch in Riku's face.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
You know... I've thought about the ending to DDD for years. And for the longest time, I absolutely loved it: I thought it made sense, helped Riku to shine, added a nice bit of drama (though Sora would never be angsty about Riku passing over him, of course), and would lead to Sora growing some.

Now, though... Now I sort of think the whole "Sora not passing" thing is complete bull.

My main issue with it is that it sort of eliminates one of the main things this series tries to standby: that we can accomplish anything with our friends--more than we ever could by ourselves, actually--and getting help from friends isn't a bad thing at all, but rather something that should be endorsed.

DDD sort of takes that idea and tosses it on its head, by saying that Sora isn't "good enough to be a Keyblade Master" because Riku had to go save him, and after Yen Sid himself admitted that he messed up and sent them both into a perilous test.

I just can't help thinking it's completely unfair. Boy, oh boy, should Riku be glad that Yen Sid was judging this attempt of his, and not when he needed to be saved by Mickey from Ansem in CoM, and be healed by him there and all that jazz (among other things).

Or if the test was supposed to be about you doing/figuring out everything by yourself, and staying on the course, then why didn't Riku get dinged for getting information from Joshua? He never would've been able to succeed in his endeavors if Joshua hadn't eluded to the fact that he was in Sora's dreams, after all.

And I know people are going to say that it was really for the fact that Sora didn't have his darkness under control that he didn't pass the exam, but that wasn't what shattered his heart! It was feeling all the pain of Ventus, Roxas, and Xion!

If anyone's to blame here it should be Mickey, for not telling Sora what he learned in Coded.

I get what DDD was trying to do. I really do. And in some ways, I can actually appreciate it and get behind it.

But I think it also went too far, in kind of sacrificing the main themes of this series--and Sora's strength through other people--and saying that it's no longer a good thing in this instance.

...Especially when in all intents and purposes, he should have the title. He's accomplished far more than any actual Keyblade Master we've seen has, I mean.

And it's not like Keyblade Masters are perfect. Even after becoming a Master herself, Aqua made all kinds of mistakes (so did Eraqus, and then there are the atrocities that Xehanort himself has wrought). So it seems kind of silly to me to keep him from getting the title for something so trivial, when even as a Master he'll still be learning--as we all learn with each step of life that we take.

...Basically, I just find the whole Keyblade Master, Keyblade Apprentice, Keyblade Inheritance, Mark of Mastery stuff really faulty, and kind of wish it would be abolished from the series.

Which might end up happening? Because I know a lot of fans blame that system for the way that things are in the KH multiverse. And even Nomura himself didn't seem to be talking too highly of it when speaking about Chi recently.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I really don't see Sora not getting an official title as going against everything that the series stands for. It's just a title. One that Sora never wanted to begin with. And like, it's just a test. Is the fact that Terra didn't pass mean it went against everything the series stands for? Of course not. (And again, part of Sora not passing is BECAUSE him passing would go against what the series stands for lol. He is kept from being a "true" Master so that he retains his ordinary position, so that the player can still connect with him and that he still stands for the player. So he stays someone who is not deemed "special" in KH.)

Honestly, I think their ends were perfect for both respective characters. Riku passing was perfect for his character and everything he's gone through and a great cap to the end of his arc. And Sora not passing (and not caring) was true to his character and the themes wrapped up in that character. It was pretty pitch perfect as far as I'm concerned and I will be very disappointed if Nomura goes back on it in KH3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back