• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Illegal movie download forces shutdown of free Wi-Fi

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VirusCoreHacker

Illegal movie download forces shutdown of free Wi-Fi | coshoctontribune.com | Coshocton Tribune

coshoctontribune.com said:
A free service enjoyed by hundreds has been shut down due to illegal activity conducted by one individual

“It’s unfortunate that one person ruins it for those who use the service legitimately,” said Commissioner Gary Fisher.

About five years ago, the county made a free wireless Internet connection available in the block surrounding the Coshocton County Courthouse at 318 Main St.

It was disabled last week after someone used the wireless local area network address to illegally download a movie.

The county’s Internet Service Provider — OneCommunity — was notified by Sony Pictures Entertainment about the breach, and the county’s Information Technology Department was in turn notified by OneCommunity.

Elizabeth Kaltman, vice president of corporate communications with the Motion Picture Association of America, said movie piracy is something the industry fights everyday.

“It’s a very, very common occurrence all across the U.S., in towns big or small,” she said.

Part of it could be due to a generation that’s grown up with computers and the Internet.
“They’re used to instant access and instant gratification,” she said. “They have the philosophy ‘if it’s there, I can take it.’”

It’s not true. There are many sites out there offering illegal movie and music downloads, but there’s also a growing number of sites that offer video streaming legally. Those are available on the MPAA’s Web site, Kaltman said. In addition to the recognizable names such as Netflix and Blockbuster, Disney Video, Fox on Demand, Cartoon Network and others have joined the instant download move.

“There are a growing number of ways to get the information they want legitimately,” she said.

The MPAA focuses most of its efforts on catching the source of the movies, like pirates who illegally use a camcorder in a theater.

“We target piracy at its source,” she said. “We really focus on keeping the product out of the market in the first place.”

Illegal downloads would be prosecuted as a civil matter, she said, and could be subject to fines up to $150,000.

Geez the MPAA is getting out of hand. Are cops going to be busting down everyone's door in America to arrest us or illegal music downloading sooner or later?

Ta-Chan

/E S C A P E;;ǝɹnlıɐɟ
oh wow, all from downloading one movie?
Good think I don't download anything from Sony illeagally > >

S

Shadow Soldier

Well what the fuck did they think was going to happen? You put a free internet service out there, of course someone is going to dick around. MPAA brought it upon themselves. Dumb shits.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
They can't arrest/fine everyone who illegally downloads.
Half of the United States would go to jail or be in $150,000 debt.

Rather, they go to the source.
Which is really pointless because there will ALWAYS be one way or another on the internet to get what you want.

Humanity has created something absolutely unstoppable.
Teh webs. D:

A

Azrael

They can't arrest/fine everyone who illegally downloads.
Half of the United States would go to jail or be in $150,000 debt.

Rather, they go to the source.
Which is really pointless because there will ALWAYS be one way or another on the internet to get what you want.

Humanity has created something absolutely unstoppable.
Teh webs. D:

This.

They can't stop people from downloading. It's their fault for making Wi Fi free

TerraFTW!

美咲 四季;4605640 said:
So....Just because some idiot decided to illegal download they ruin it for everyone?

What's next? A tax on air?

for some reason i can strangely see this

meertallica

Website
www.facebook.com
I'll bet Lars Ulrich is pleased :D

They should stop moaning, they make loads of money anyway, I never download films I prefer to own the dvds, so they should just focus on me and other people who buy dvds and chill the hell out :D

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
“We target piracy at its source,”

Yeah thats why pirate bay has a long list of "Love letters" from companies who think empty threats of court action will make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back