• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

If you had to erase one character from existence entirely, who would you choose?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SuperNova

Awards
That's the KH fandom in a nutshell for you. Always yearning to return to the classic formula of "Sora going on adventures to defeat the Big Bad" and then people start speculating and want the games to focus on the other characters.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Sora is a main character, if he was wiped, the series would become very stupid, and sooner than later, it will be hated.
I'd argue that Sora's inclusion in specific title(s) undermines those entries and in turn makes them as you say *very stupid*.

•(BBS) Blank Points for example, including S as the messiah to save TVA (and RAXN) when individually Terra has more in common with Riku, Aqua has more in common with Riku, and Ventus is literally inside Sora.

•(Kh3) Allowing Sora to effectively will Roxas and Xion back into existence when Roxas was stated to be half of Sora, and Xion his most critical memories of Kairi forcing Namine to untangle Xion from Sora

•(DDD) How dare you follow Blank Points up by saying Sora is an idiot unworthy of the mark of mastery? Literally cheapened the title right there. Sora never should have been in DDD if they wanted to make it Riku's game

•(KH3) tha powah of waking has no actual drawbacks and Sora uses it properly without ever learning what it is, which by extension makes the power of waking a pointless plot convenience than a power that Keyblade Masters should know.

•(KH3) Sora's inclusion in saving Aqua makes no sense thematically, because Aqua's struggles are exactly understood by Riku not Sora.

•(KH3) Sora using Master Defender as an SOS to pinpoint Riku's location is pants on head ridiculous

Last edited:

the red monster

Awards
Sora is kinda.. boring. imo.

his character feels so bland and just a good guy that does what he have to. he's just not interesting to play as every game.

roxas is better than him in every aspect

disney233

Awards
To this point, I think it's hilarious how every time we take a break from Sora to tell other character's stories, we start yearning to return to him. But then once we do, we're quickly fed up and want him to leave again.
Because almost every character in this game is as boring and transparent as Mr. Stereotypical Goku/Naruto/Luffy/EVERYTHING anime shoshun protagonist. AND THIS IS A DISNEY GAME. DISNEY MOVIES UNDERSTOOD THE CONCEPT OF DEATH AND CONSEQUENCE BETTER THAN KINGDOM HEARTS. And when Time Travel is introduced in a Disney movie, it's somewhat easy to digest. At least Meet the Robinsons somewhat is. BUT IN KINGDOM HEARTS? DO I REALLY NEED TO START?
That part is irrelevant to the convo....but you get my point.

Noivern

Awards
Jesus, this really turned into some heavy discourse. lol

Anyways, it's Saïx for me. Isa was cool in BBS, but I never liked his nobody/grown up self and I specially hate his design. It was somewhat tolerable as Saïx but the new Isa outfit.. no, just no.

Also, all the bullshit he did to the Days trio, really.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Tbh the problems the KH series has as a whole cannot be rectified by simply removing one single character, no matter how superfluous or "cheap copy-cat version of another character" some of them may seem.

The moniker of "bland", "half-baked" or "concept instead of character" applies to several characters across the cast including some of the supposed core/major characters but that is not a problem because of those characters existing. It's because there is nothing truly deeply done with many of them that could be called an own story arc or characterization to make them truly memorable.
Most of them serve as either exposition fairies, drama providers or plot prizes/goals instead of actual participants in the overall story.
At least in the games, the novels tend to be better at this.

Instead of a single character, I'd rather cut away some concepts who make things needlessly stupid, confined and/or complicated, like the whole "Book of Prophecies"-crap, the black box and time-travel as a major plot point.

disney233

Awards
Tbh the problems the KH series has as a whole cannot be rectified by simply removing one single character, no matter how superfluous or "cheap copy-cat version of another character" some of them may seem.

The moniker of "bland", "half-baked" or "concept instead of character" applies to several characters across the cast including some of the supposed core/major characters but that is not a problem because of those characters existing. It's because there is nothing truly deeply done with many of them that could be called an own story arc or characterization to make them truly memorable.
Most of them serve as either exposition fairies, drama providers or plot prizes/goals instead of actual participants in the overall story.
At least in the games, the novels tend to be better at this.

Instead of a single character, I'd rather cut away some concepts who make things needlessly stupid, confined and/or complicated, like the whole "Book of Prophecies"-crap, the black box and time-travel as a major plot point.
So cut out EVERYTHING after DDD, most likely BBS as well.......honestly KH3 as Unreal Engine would have to be sacrificed for that....it'll make the game easier to digest and the best part is that y'know NOT HAVE EVERYTHING'LL BE SHOE-HORNED INTO LITERALLY ONE PLACE.

Cumguardian69

Awards
So cut out EVERYTHING after DDD, most likely BBS as well.......honestly KH3 as Unreal Engine would have to be sacrificed for that....it'll make the game easier to digest and the best part is that y'know NOT HAVE EVERYTHING'LL BE SHOE-HORNED INTO LITERALLY ONE PLACE.

Not everything. Kill the following concepts:

•Sora as the messiah and the "main" character

•Yozora and his band of OCdonuts

•X/UX/XBC and any connection to the age of fairy tales including the boom of prophecies, Luxu existing in modern times, black box, and on

•Subject X, New seven hearts

Refocus on the following aspects:

•Riku and Mickey play Mouse Detective in the RoD/RG to locate Aqua, and force the two to find the light in the darkness as a callback to KH1 and as a way for Riku to continue his new quest from DDD (consume dorkness and return it to right).

•Have Sora act rash and attempt to save Aqua during midgame only to get C L O B B E R E D and require the Masters to save his ass. This would give credence to what Xigbar said in beginning game and reinforce Sora's fears of not being enough (and justifying his in/action in KBG round one)

•Rework character taunting from Remind into base game to drum up the fact that Team Light is unprepared, really send home the idea that THEY (maybe even Sora himself, being overly selfless) forced the Keyblade War on Xehanort's terms, play into the theme of Don't Think Twice and being caught between a rock and a hard place.

•Feature more enemy Keybladers, yeah?

There, now KH3 has ample time to develop its character relations and interactions. The game is supposed to be about tragedy as a result of caring too much about others and misusing power, but most of the characters harp on Sora for being inexperienced when the story says he is ackshually the most experienced.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
To this point, I think it's hilarious how every time we take a break from Sora to tell other character's stories, we start yearning to return to him. But then once we do, we're quickly fed up and want him to leave again.

I never fall into this camp... I've long become wise to the fact that characters like Roxas, Riku, Terra, and Aqua make KH feel really weird when they're at the center of it. Too serious for the setting. That being said, it even feels a little weird when it's Sora alone, like in DDD. I really think the inclusion of Donald and Goofy is the secret sauce that makes KH palatable. If they're around, it isn't 'cringey', it's just some classic cartoony fun.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The reason for that was because Nojima was completely unfamiliar with the character. He was all ready to write for Rufus in that role but then Nomura decided there were too many FF7 characters and swapped him out lol
Oh, wow, I never knew that! Both he and Vivi felt like forced attempts to use non-Nomura FF characters... Personally, I thought Vivi was worse simply because of the voice acting, but that was just me. Still, I wouldn't excise them entirely, they were cute cameos if nothing else.

As far as playing as other characters, I've never wanted that and, even if I did, Days and BbS would have taught me not to wish for it. I remember when Roxas was first introduced, I was terrified Sora would end up getting replaced and that would ruin the series for me (even though I actually liked Roxas). Sometimes these days, I think I would enjoy games with other characters *in theory*. In theory, a game with RAXI in Twilight Town would be so much fun to me, if it was just a casual story about them working through the day-to-day as Somebody's again, learning to live real lives, work jobs, hang out as friends, and get over their past. But I know that if a game for RAXI was actually made, it wouldn't give me that because it would need to have battles, which necessitates some kind of villainous plot. Moreover, a new character I don't care about like Mystery X would probably get all the focus, the same way Xion stole it in Days when I would've rather had a game about Roxas and the Organization. So even in the hypothetical that I could enjoy a game lead by other characters like Roxas, Aqua, Isa, etc., I know it would never turn out the way I'd want it to be and that's why I'd still rather just stick with Sora or Riku.

Btw, I love your avatar, @Sign. It's so cute.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Oh, wow, I never knew that! Both he and Vivi felt like forced attempts to use non-Nomura FF characters... Personally, I thought Vivi was worse simply because of the voice acting, but that was just me. Still, I wouldn't excise them entirely, they were cute cameos if nothing else.

Vivi was included by popular demand :D

Nomura did actually design Setzer though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 252753

I'm getting curious: if we put all our views together, get rid of all these characters and start over, who do we have left? (Kairi??? 👀)
Some people said Kairi early on. I don't think Riku has been erased yet, but I feel we are heading towards the series just being Donald and Goofy fighting against Ansem SoD and Xemnas, which actually sounds pretty good.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Some people said Kairi early on. I don't think Riku has been erased yet, but I feel we are heading towards the series just being Donald and Goofy fighting against Ansem SoD and Xemnas, which actually sounds pretty good.

Damn that's right. I thought they were just merging Xion and Namine into Kairi.

I was going to erase Riku before Vexen. He's too awesome, it's distracting.

Yup, Donald and Goofy vs Ansem Sod and Xemnas sounds pretty great!

Cumguardian69

Awards
I'm getting curious: if we put all our views together, get rid of all these characters and start over, who do we have left? (Kairi??? 👀)
Riku stays because he has a character arc.

I think I saw posts saying TVA/RAX/OrgXIII should be dusted. MX had a couple votes.

(Kairi should be killed for real tbh, or merge her other personalities (Namine/Xion) into her. She's superfluous in a bad way. She's a walking, barely talking plot device everytime she appears in the series and it's just a waste of cutscene direction, screentime, good voice actors in ENG/JPN, and a character slot.)

Back