• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

If you could only get one remake which game would it be?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

If only one game could be remade with KH3 quality which would you pick?

• Kingdom Hearts

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Chain of Memories

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kingdom Hearts 2

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • 358/2 Days

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Birth By Sleep

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Coded

• Dream Drop Distance

• Chi/Unchained/Union Cross

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters

the red monster

Awards
Technically Union X is still part of phase 1, it’s dark road that is considered phase 2, union cross is ending at least that’s what they said it’s nearing the end, but yea it’s a game from phase 1 “that leads to phase 2” like you said.
I don't really consider the foretellers and MoM part of phase 1, but if you judging it based on release date you're right.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Honestly, I would hate if UX were to go the MMORPG route. They already lost me with UX itself being a phone game (and Dark Road). I WANT TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAMES AND WITNESS STORY. I don't want to roam about and encounter trollish other players or waste 50 hours grinding to earn a medal that allows me to see the next cutscene, while venturing completely empty and lifeless "Disney worlds". The only way I would ever want to play UX is either as a movie (in KH3 or Disney/PIXAR quality graphics) or as a solo game that is focused entirely on story.

Days is a game I cherish... but not for the gameplay. I didn't like it at all. I loved the idea of playing as Roxas and the Organization, but it was just difficult for me to enjoy. However, I loved the cutscenes. If they remake Days as a movie (in KH3 or Disney/PIXAR quality graphics) throwing in additional information about the Chamber of Waking/Repose and Girl X.

The reality is that if they ever did do a remake - it would be either KH1 or KH2... a part of me actually thinks they would do KH2 over KH1 (Tarzan is the easy cop out reason, but I think it's due to developer favouritism).

Grey Skies

Awards
I voted for Days because the gameplay and graphics weren't anywhere near as good as the story, and it had so much potential. The controls and gameplay are stiff, the little cutscene animation there is is stiff (both for the characters and camera), the voice clips in cutscenes are awkward, the character sprites in cutscenes are poorly used and not very expressive. I don't mind the low-poly modeling, the low-resolution textures, or the simplified music in Days, but I really want snappier gameplay and more expressive characters during cutscenes, and the other adaptations of Days aren't quite enough to satisfy me.

As much as I've complained about the graphics in the most recent KH games, they're still superbly animated, and I'll barely complain at all if Days gets remade with graphics as detailed as KH3, and I'm not one to only complain a little bit.

PS: Days would also benefit from rendering at a resolution higher than the 256x192 of the DS (and I'm not even sure the game ran at the full native resolution of the DS in the first place). The original game looks miles better just by running the game in an emulator even at 2x native resolution (512x384, close to the PS2 games which rendered at about 600x450), let alone at now-common rendering resolutions of 1920x1080 all the way up to 3840x2160.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
I don't really consider the foretellers and MoM part of phase 1, but if you judging it based on release date you're right.
Well birth by sleep wasn’t certainly planned from the start yet it’s a prequel and apart of phase 1, the Chi/Unchained/Union X is the same and it was released before we entered phase 2 which is Remind, Altho it’s fine if you don’t see it that way but still It seen as phase 1 (but ofc the story leads to phase 2) since it’s the origin story of kingdom hearts and it started back in 2013, the story is simply ongoing all this time and finally it reached its (final chapter) climax, then after its done it will be all Phase 2 From now on.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The reality is that if they ever did do a remake - it would be either KH1 or KH2... a part of me actually thinks they would do KH2 over KH1 (Tarzan is the easy cop out reason, but I think it's due to developer favouritism).

I don't think you have anything to worry about? The bulk of the current KH team didn't even work on the original KH2, and they certainly don't put it up on a pedestal like certain fans.

In the unlikely scenario that they do choose a game to remake based on favoritism, it'd be BBS. That game is Osaka Team's baby, and the first KH game they ever worked on <3

Last edited:

the red monster

Awards
Well birth by sleep wasn’t certainly planned from the start yet it’s a prequel and apart of phase 1, the Chi/Unchained/Union X is the same and it was released before we entered phase 2 which is Remind, Altho it’s fine if you don’t see it that way but still It seen as phase 1 (but ofc the story leads to phase 2) since it’s the origin story of kingdom hearts and it started back in 2013, the story is simply ongoing all this time and finally it reached its (final chapter) climax, then after its done it will be all Phase 2 From now on.
By phase one i mean xehanort's saga.
phase two is foretellers+MoM and whatever is going with yozora
at least the way i see it.
UX is about the foretellers and MoM, which for me means phase 2.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I voted for Days because the gameplay and graphics weren't anywhere near as good as the story, and it had so much potential. The controls and gameplay are stiff, the little cutscene animation there is is stiff (both for the characters and camera), the voice clips in cutscenes are awkward, the character sprites in cutscenes are poorly used and not very expressive. I don't mind the low-poly modeling, the low-resolution textures, or the simplified music in Days, but I really want snappier gameplay and more expressive characters during cutscenes, and the other adaptations of Days aren't quite enough to satisfy me.

As much as I've complained about the graphics in the most recent KH games, they're still superbly animated, and I'll barely complain at all if Days gets remade with graphics as detailed as KH3, and I'm not one to only complain a little bit.
Funny enough I prefer the cutscenes in the Days DS game as opposed to the movie. At least the ones that are voiced. The Days movie adds too much music in scenes that were silent in the original which takes away it's impact. When Xion turns into Sora about to fight Roxas the movie adds the final boss theme. It takes away the eerie silence of that scene from the original, and Vector to the Heavens should only be played in a boss fight. They also add music to when Roxas loses his memories, when it was silent in the original. I love the KH music but sometimes silence is golden.

Foxycian

Awards
By phase one i mean xehanort's saga.
phase two is foretellers+MoM and whatever is going with yozora
at least the way i see it.
UX is about the foretellers and MoM, which for me means phase 2.
Chi/unchained/Union X technically is phase 1 that is linked to Dark Seeker Saga and Phase 2, it’s linked to all cause it’s the origin of kingdom hearts and was made at the time of phase 1, I guess you could say it’s connected to all Phases.

the red monster

Awards
Chi/unchained/Union X technically is phase 1 that is linked to Xehanort Saga and Phase 2, it’s linked to all cause it’s the origin of kingdom hearts and was made at the time of phase 1, I guess you could say it’s still connected to all Phases.
I don't see how union cross is linked to xehanort, sure it has ventus and some characters that show up in in xehanort's saga, but it explores completely different story from the current timeline, we only had some small hints/camoes of what happened in the past, but nothing really relevant that connects them.

edit:
i'll just make it simple.
Did xehanort appear in union cross? no
as long he's not directly relevant, i don't count it part of xehanort saga, because again, he's not actually there or mentioned.
so at least for me, it means it's not part of the phase one which focused on xehanort.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
I don't see how union cross is linked to xehanort, sure it has ventus and some characters that show up in in xehanort's saga, but it explores completely different story from the current timeline, we only had some small hints/camoes of what happened in the past, but nothing really relevant that connects them.
Chi or union X or whatever we call it, Is literally one of the reasons that sets Xehanort on his path and the KH story that started everything in the series so ofc it’s connected to Xehanort saga just like how birth by sleep wasn’t planned but added later and was connected to the story as well, Union X is connected to all, not just phase 1 but phase 2 as well, but like Oracle Said I’m not gonna think about it much so That’s all I’m Gonna say 🤷‍♂️

Edit: whatever makes you sleep at night i guess.

Last edited:

the red monster

Awards
Chi or union X or whatever we call it, Is literally one of the reasons that sets Xehanort on his path and the KH story that started everything in the series so ofc it’s connected to Xehanort saga just like how birth by sleep wasn’t planned but added later and was connected to the story as well, Union X is connected to all, not just phase 1 but phase 2 as well, but like Oracle Said I’m not gonna think about it much so That’s all I’m Gonna say 🤷‍♂️
Check up the edit i made.
anyway, i think it's time to put this discussion to rest since it's going too off-topic.

Eonstar890

Awards
lol The thread was all for fantasy purposes not which is most likely to get a remake but which you most wish would. So while UX definitely needs it, that’s not rlly relevant here.
I wouldn’t mind the MMO version of UX it’d be pretty fun, but I don’t think the gameplay style of KH3 would be very good for that because of how flashy and character central KH gameplay tends to be. Like shot locks, attraction flow, and summons would give me a headache if I was trying to battle alongside other players. Ultimately a remake of UX would just have to play completely different from the original game as well as it’s KH3 counterpart.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Definitely Days. While BBS and DDD were bad by virtue of their design and the lack of talent behind their mechanics, I always felt like Days was held back partially by hardware, partially by lack of scope. If the RAX trio is as important as the others, it deserves a fully voiced, fully animated game.

AegisXIII

Awards
What about remaking the whole serie as a trilogy? That proposition is weird, but they could fuse KH1, Chain of Memories and days under the same game and remove all the tedious repetitive gameplay. Then kh2, bbs ans recoded as the second remake.
And finally ddd, 0.2 and 3 under one story narrative.

That would be weird but with some tweaks it is possible.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
What about remaking the whole serie as a trilogy? That proposition is weird, but they could fuse KH1, Chain of Memories and days under the same game and remove all the tedious repetitive gameplay. Then kh2, bbs ans recoded as the second remake.
And finally ddd, 0.2 and 3 under one story narrative.

That would be weird but with some tweaks it is possible.
That's an interesting idea, but I'm not entirely sure how you'd pull it off. They are all their own stories and partly have their own main characters. You'd have multiple climaxes in one game, which might just feel odd.

You'd have to rewrite the stories quite a bit, having your protagonist switch all of a sudden would feel weird. Though I can see potential ways of doing it.

While merging it into a trilogy does seem harder, I can see some of the smaller titles combining and some of the bigger titles absorbing smaller ones as prologue or epilogue.

I can see them merging CoM and Days. the game starts out with you being able to play as Roxas, Sora and Riku and after CoM concludes you'd swap out Sora for Xion, with her taking over his stats.

I can see Coded being combined with KH2 as a short epilogue chapter. Data!Sora would just share his stats with regular sora and the revisiting of the worlds would be truncated and not repeated 3 times.

And 0.2 could be used as the framing device for all of BBS, it being the story Mickey tells them not just the 0.2 part, with it just continuing into the regular 0.2 past the final episode. Obviously we'd experience the events in more detail than Mickey tells them. Like Mickey will say they saves a little girl at radiant garden, but not know it was Kairi.

A seriously truncated version of DDD could be used as the prelog for KH3, though I can't imagine anyone making 7 new worlds just to rush through them for a prolog. But maybe a End of the World kind of thing where you enter 7 rooms styles after the various movies, maybe they'd manifest as different districts in Dream Traverse Town? But you wouldn't really bond with Dream Eaters and the introduction of the TWEWY crew would feel weird if they didn't reappear in the later game.

Now I kind of feel in the mood to give a Darkseeker Saga rewrite another try.

Swing

Awards
Also, I'm personally getting kinda sick of all these remakes and reboots. Not only with games, but with movies, comics, books, TV shows in general. Why not make something new? Create new characters, write new stories, or come up with new concepts? If I can do it, why not professionals?

AegisXIII

Awards
Also, I'm personally getting kinda sick of all these remakes and reboots. Not only with games, but with movies, comics, books, TV shows in general. Why not make something new? Create new characters, write new stories, or come up with new concepts? If I can do it, why not professionals?
I am tempted to agree with you, although not for KH.

Kh is a serie that works on nostalgia. That's the main idea behind it: go to familiar places that you enjoyed as a Kid. The serie has grow like crazy with more than 10 entries and the reason I like KH is that EVERY episode is mandatory to follow the plot. The dev made the audacious choice that if you miss an entry, that's on you. Thus ALL games need to still feel fresh otherwise newcomers will go to more accessible franchises.

UX. Its gameplay doesn't interest me, the dripfed nature of giving its story made me lose interest in following it, and I think its presentation undermines the severity and tension of some of its more serious and emotional scenes. I'd love if they gave it a console remake that had the traditional action combat and KH3-like presentation.

Foxycian

Awards
UX. Its gameplay doesn't interest me, the dripfed nature of giving its story made me lose interest in following it, and I think its presentation undermines the severity and tension of some of its more serious and emotional scenes. I'd love if they gave it a console remake that had the traditional action combat and KH3-like presentation.
I actually liked the gameplay but what ruined it for me (and I’m assuming for many) is how the game keeps getting harder and keeps forcing you to pay to get stronger medals to win.

Back