• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

if you could have a (direct) sequel to any FF game, which would it be?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
With news of a potential Final Fantasy X-3 receiving a mixed reception, and Lightning Returnsn being shortly with us, now seems an ideal time to ask about your fantasy sequels.

I myself have always thought about a sequel to XII which ties together the story of XII and Tactics Advance with Vaan as the villain as well as a return to St Ivalice (I realise it sounds like bad fan fiction)

What about you?

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
As much as I'm a fan of leaving things alone and moving on, I'd absolutely love a sequel to IX. Mostly just to see all of the characters again though.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Personally, I think people's feelings on X-3 is probably being affected by nostalgia and their feelings towards X-2 (because I know I am.) The idea of revisiting the X world after we thought Yuna & Tidus got their happy ending (when we had been perfectly fine with the bittersweet one in X) is kind frightening. I think if Toriyama isn't given full reigns to do whatever he pleases like he was with the Lightning Saga (and X-2's dramatic tone shift) and there is somebody there to quality control the story (that isn't named Kitase), we could get a really interesting game that explores a grieving world (and not what X-2 did because things seemed too happy for a world that lost its main religion)

Anyways, I always thought a world like FFIII was fit for a sequel/prequel about the Warriors of Darkness who had to fight against the corrupted Light.

I'd really love a prequel to Type-0 (and not Agito like we are getting). The world has hundreds of thousands of really interesting cycles to work from, and personally I want to see a cycle where Ace was the Agito. It'd be so easy to add some really unexpected twists, new characters, and so on.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I would love to see a re-imagining of VIII. Out of all the old games, I think this one would not only be the most suited for being re-created with modern graphics, but also the most fitting story wise. I mean, the whole game is basically one big time loop. It would be so incredibly easy to make a "what if" scenario where the cycle gets broken and things pan out differently. In other words, it would be the best retcon ever. I would personally love to get more backstory on the sorceresses.

The game also deserves to have get its junction system updated, so that you cannot cheat (which is easily done by having fixed enemy levels). Uematsu would return to compose the a new soundtrack, of course!

Shinra

Banned
Awards
I'd have to say a final fantasy that deserves a sequel would be 6... It would be a what if situation where the magic of the world didn't disappear, it was sealed away somewhere like the esper world... Where all the magicite and the magic culminated and formed a great crystal much like the sun cryst in 12, or it could be a great crystal tree. then the story begins when the tree is discovered and you can imagine what it'd be called... Yggdrasil, they could chip off pieces of magicite and implant it into themselves or use it to power machines... but it would all depend on the element of said magicite...

Tempus

Awards
With my Amiibo horde...they're mine I tell you! Al
Other than I-III, V and VI, the ones that didn't get sequels end in such a way that I'm fine with never revisiting those people and worlds. VIII ended perfectly and so did IX. The only ones I could stomach would be VI (such a rich world, and how about having the opera, or a new one, done in proper 3D with actual voices and a full orchestra!) and II (though I'd imagine it would just be a retread of XIII-2 crossed with X-2 with a bit of Lightning Returns thrown in, based on what SE has been doing recently). Even though I enjoy them X-2 set a dangerous precedent, a decision that is still causing issues, in my opinion. The Fantasy is no longer Final. It stifles creativity and fresh ideas when anything can be revisited, reworked or undone. If they want something to do, high quality remakes of II through IX would be wonderful. Those games deserve it.

Sorarocks93

Awards
Final Fantasy VIII.

Although I would be very very afraid that they would ruin this perfect perfection of a game with it's perfect story and perfect gameplay and most of all, perfect ending.

YES IT IS PERFECT I DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK!

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I want to see a sequel to VII.
Joking.

I'd like a sequel to IX, because it has my favourite character Vivi in it and that's really all the motivation I'd need to buy it.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
perfect gameplay

I wouldn't call it perfect since it can be exploited to massively cheat the system, which has always been bugging me ever since I found out about it (luckily, I wasn't clever enough to figure it out by myself the first time I played it at age of 12).

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
I want to see a sequel to VII.
Joking.

I'd like a sequel to IX, because it has my favourite character Vivi in it and that's really all the motivation I'd need to buy it.

How would you play as Vivi in a sequel?

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
How would you play as Vivi in a sequel?

Spoiler Spoiler Show
I didn't say I'd play as him, I said he's FFIX. No doubt if they made a sequel he'd be at least mentioned several times in it. My bad if it came off wrong.

ShadowXemnas

Nocturne Zephyr
Awards
Done right, a sequel to IX would be pretty interesting. Would be interesting to see if Kuja survived somehow, and if so how he's spending his last days. Learning just how all those Vivi-lings came to be would also be nice.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Done right, a sequel to IX would be pretty interesting. Would be interesting to see if Kuja survived somehow, and if so how he's spending his last days. Learning just how all those Vivi-lings came to be would also be nice.
Kuja died too. Zidane specifically stayed behind to be with Kuja in his final moments, and to have him still be alive would kinda be a big FU to the reason Zidane stayed behind and the year that Garnet spent mourning him, thinking he was gone forever.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Personally I would want something new but if I was asked to want any FF to have a sequel, it would be either Final Fantasy VI or IX. It would be great if they did it in a similar style to Bravely Default. IX would blend greatly.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
There's room for a FF5 prequel where you play as the Warriors of Dawn.

Or maybe even further back, detailing how Enuo wound up sealed in the rift and the separation of the worlds and stuff.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
In my opinion, the whole beauty of Final Fantasy is how each game contains a whole, complete story and universe. The feeling where everything you need to experience, say, FF6 is all contained in one game is magnificent.

With that said, I think I agree with everyone who say that FF8 would be a worthy candidate. Mainly because of the game's flaws. The junction system is incomplete because its original designer had to leave mid-development. In regards to the story, we all know how flawed that is, with the game being one big time loop. Having them revisit the game's world, having an evolved and complete junction combat system and a storyline that fixes its predecessor's story would be really cool.

...As long as we get someone to write it who doesn't make Squall's head explode and have it turn out that saving him in the end of FF8 resulted in a new catastrophe blah blah blah.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
Not sure if it would count, but I would've liked a FFX prequel detailing Braska's journey. There's some stuff that happens that most people don't even know (how his marriage to an Al Bhed made people look down on him, how Yevon was basically against him and when he died they suddenly changed their minds) and of course learning some of Auron's backstory in detail would be great.

And I might wanna see Jecht kill a shoopuf idk

But if it's purely sequels I vote for FFXII, only because Ivalice is so expansive in its world and lore and so much seemed untouched in the original game.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
VI and VIII are the only two that I would like to see a follow up to.

However VI has a little bit of a caveat: I would have liked to see a world that didn't have magic disappear altogether, but rather one where new magic couldn't exist. That is to say, everything/everyone that had innate magic retained it, but people couldn't learn new magic, no new espers could be born, etcetc. If you've read the Buffy comics, imagine that whole concept, but transferred over to VI's world. It would be awesome to examine a world where leftover vestiges of magic remain that has lost its connection to any more of it. Having a new "Empire" fighting for the last pieces of magic left to the world would've been a good set up for a sequel slash good call back to the original story.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
But if it's purely sequels I vote for FFXII, only because Ivalice is so expansive in its world and lore and so much seemed untouched in the original game.
A sequel for XII almost happened at one point, too. [video=youtube;kq6XiYQFBgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq6XiYQFBgA[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back