• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

If CoM's Gameplay was like that of KHI, would you Like it More?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas7340

Like the title says, if the cards were never introduced in CoM and the gameplay was the same as in KHI, would you rank it higher in your KH hierarchy?

For me, I would. The story was really great but the gameplay, albeit still fun, was not as satisfying (to me at least) like the others

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I mean, if it were more like KHI then it would practically be KHI. It needed a different game play mechanic.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Like the title says, if the cards were never introduced in CoM and the gameplay was the same as in KHI, would you rank it higher in your KH hierarchy?

For me, I would. The story was really great but the gameplay, albeit still fun, was not as satisfying (to me at least) like the others

No. I played the original CoM countless times back when it was first released and had no problem whatsoever with the battle system. It was perfect for the limitations of the GBA and represented the game's main concept of memories very well.

Despite all the complaints over the card system, perhaps it's worth asking if the action menu would truly have suited CoM better? It's not like they just compulsively decided to put a KH game on the GBA without considering the difficulties of developing a proper installment on the system.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Yes, I probably would have liked it better, if the gameplay had been more like 1's.

Honestly, CoM's one of my least favorite game in the series. I hated the gameplay, didn't think the game was really even needed (as it began the "Kingdom Hearts II actually being KHIII issue"), and I don't really like the inclusion of Naminé into the series, as I have a love/hate relationship with her. (As imo, she causes more problems than she fixes, doesn't really even fit in anywhere, and she became the main girl when that role should have belonged to her original self, etc.) But that's neither her nor there, so I'm going to shut up now.

AlbertJ

Awards
There was really nothing wrong with the battle system. If you took the time to plan out your deck with sleights, it actually became very fun. The reason why most people did not like it was probably because they weren't good at it. It just required more planning than KH1.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I'd have to say it's a no. In fact, I would probably rank it lower.

I loved CoM for introducing the card system which I felt, I have to say, pretty darn innovative when I first played it. It forces you to play with strategy and not just by blindly mashing the action button, because if you do, you'll die easily. This is a welcome change since I played this after KH2 (many players where I live didn't even know this game existed back then) where everything was Hollywood-esque and you could practically get through the game with just mashing X and occasionally casting Cure.

In addition, I consider the story, while nothing too spectacular, decent. Also because I played KH2 ahead of this game, it allowed the puzzle pieces pertaining to the missing characters and origins of some others to finally fall into place.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I'd have to say it's a no. In fact, I would probably rank it lower.

This. If it had been like kh1 it minds well have been kh1.

Though it was hard to grasp, after I done so, I found the card system rather innovative and honestly by far the most strategic of the series. (as well as balanced)

Many hate the system because they had trouble with it but, from what I can tell, it's also cause many just dont take the time to explore it fully and come to truly appreciate it. (or to fully understand it enough to still dislike it)

As Solosis pointed out there is no blindly running in and bashing X till the enemy is dead. You have to watch what you do, conserve attacks, plan out your deck so that it works, etc.

It felt more rpg than any of the KH games to date even though they are all listed as action-rpg.

Story wise well yes I did enjoy it, it was rather good for Sora's character. He actually felt like he grew, he actually got angry and even a bit antagonistic at times.
And because of this you can see why I would be rather pissed angry at how it ended. Everything to his character was lost because of memory erasure only for me to get a shounen/stupid Sora in kh2 after he woke up.

it just felt like a set back to dumb him down as kh2's writing seemed to do after seeing the side of him I got in CoM.

Riku on the other hand, I rather enjoyed his story in the game. It was nothing really grant or such but it was awesome to play someone other than Sora for the first time and I liked watching he come to terms, at least partially, with darkness.
Riku's story also contributed to the larger mystery of Diz, the org, etc.

Veritas7340

You know, I like CoM's gameplay. I just like KHI's better, but you guys did help me realize something.

Since they go through all the same worlds, I suppose there has to be some differentiating factor besides the post-world CO scenes.

It still is fun. It was just a hassle sometimes to acquire the higher-numbered cards from moogle rooms and the like

MasterKaze

Awards
As a child, I hated the combat mechanism of CoM. I was 8 years old, and the concept of planning out a good deck ahead of time was lost on me. The gameplay was far more difficult than I could grasp, and I would've loved to have a KH1 style combat.

About a month ago, I found my old GBA, and decided to give CoM another try. Much to my surprise, I found the combat to be far more fun than I remembered. It was not nearly as tedious and dreadful as I had convinced myself it was. Given time, I found the card system to be innovative and unique. As fun as I think it would be to try a CoM with a KH1 gameplay style, I don't think it's needed for it.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I would actually like it less than before because I found the Card-system to be much more entertaining than the systems from both KH 1 and 2.

Ventus_

Awards
Certainly I would have had less trouble with certain battles (Ex. Hades) without the limitations of the card system. There is no denying that it is complex and difficult to learn. When I originally played the game on the GBA, the card system, both in battle and making your way through the world maps was lost on me. Today playing Re I am still learning to use it skillfully and sleights which I had not bothered with originally are extremely difficult to assemble while focusing on battle, so as a result it still frustrates me at times. Then again you're talking to a person who was a complete dumbshit playing KH1 for the first time on the PS2.
I'm beginning to find playing Re now that these struggles actually make the system engaging and interesting.

Honestly needless to say CoM would have been more or less a mimic of KH1 to have incorporated the same battle system along with it featuring all the same worlds (minus Deep Jungle due to copyright issues that could not be compromised). Also don't forget this game was originally released for the GBA on which the card system is more easily handled. I can't speak for anyone else but the original action menu system re-incorporated in Days for the DS is difficult to use with the handheld button availability and placement while focusing on engaging in battle.

In addition the cards being a representation of memories was cleverly fitting to the concept and differentiated well between Sora's actual experiences and his memories of them which is the most important aspect of this game.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
I think a lot of the people who say they think it would have been better are thinking about Re:CoM. In that case, I'd agree, I didn't like the card system when I first played it and I don't really like it now (though I don't hate it anymore and it's starting to grow on me).

As for the original CoM, I agree with those of you who think it's better with the cards. They fit well with what the GBA could do and the innovation was needed to distance it from being a KH1 port with some extra story squished in the middle.

I DO think, though, that the game could have benefited if the team at Square had done something else with the playstyle. Different? Yes. Cards? Not so much.

Xelon99

Awards
Despite being slightly boring in the long haul, annoying at the start when you're still weak and sort of repetitive, It's very interesting and fun. The GBA version is a lot more fun and easier to play than the Re:CoM versions though.

Dr_Mario64

In my opinion, the one thing about the game that should be more like KH1 is the level design. Now, I know the GBA was limited in what it could do, and the dungeon system was pretty inevitable because of that, but the fact that you not only need high enough ranked map cards to enter a room but also map cards of a specific type in some cases just doesn't make sense to me. Especially when you need a 9+ and have to spend hours grinding on enemies hoping desperately they'll drop what you need. On top of that, there's no way to manipulate the drops; as far as I know.

ok sunny

Awards
I haven't played CoM too much (Even though I have the Ps2 and Ps3 remake) because I'm still not used to the card system, but I'd prefer to keep it the way it is. CoM kind of brought up the legacy of the KH series and made KH1 more than just one single video game.
Also, as most others put it, CoM would just be another KH1 without the card based system.

It's a strategic breakaway to the KH series, where you actually have to plan ahead in order to succeed. It was a good idea on behalf of Nomura.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
It really would be the most boring entry in the series if it were any more similar to KH1.

Antar

Awards
I tried playing the game several times but I just didn't have fun playing it. That makes me sad since it looks like it has a fantastic story from watching it on Youtube (Since I didn't play it I had to watch it to keep up with the story). I'm the kind of person who just starts panicking when I get in a tight spot so I ended up fumbling the cards throughout battles and just not being able to react or decide fast enough. Personally I think a different battle system would have worked better, but not an action system like in KH1. They could have even kept the whole card theme, just may be had a different way of executing it. I was first thinking an Active Time Battle system but I'm not sure that would fit Kingdom Hearts.

knl06

Personally, I would've liked it more if the cards weren't introduced and it had the same battle style as kh1. The game would still serve great purpose, regardless of the battle style, because it gave kh2 the right away to dive straight into the organization thirteen/nobody plot with a clearer explanation, in my opinion. But the card battle style is what attractive a lot of people to the game, it was something different. I agree, that if you're like myself and suck at the card battle style, then this game probably isn't appealing to you much at all.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I do think I would have liked it more. At this point, I'm used to the cards, but it was odd to introduce something so completely different in the 2nd addition to the series after that huge drought following the first game. If they had done something like that with 3D, BbS, or Coded, it probably would've been liked more because it would be a change from the status quo.

Goddard

The basic premise of Chain of Memories was Sora revisiting the worlds that he visited in the previous game against the backdrop of losing your memories in Castle Oblivion. Most of the game is recycled from the previous one and besides the introduction of new villains and one of the plots in the entire series, it wouldn't have made for a very unique experience. The card system was annoying for me to get to given that I button-mashed my way to beating Ansem in the first game. The inclusion of the card system added a level of strategy that wasn't there before and gave me an incentive to customize my deck however I wanted with spell cards, summon cards, enemy cards and key blade cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back