• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ienzo

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
What a character. He has arguably the most development compared to all the other former Organization XIII members.

Out of all the theories about this game since Dream Drop Distance, nobody really talked about Ienzo's importance, and I think that's good. It demonstrates that characters that were considered minor can be more integral in this series.

SerDuncan

Yeah, he was one of the few characters in the game who I felt got a satisfying amount of development. He wasn't a huge deal in COM, so it was nice to see him expanded into this Q like character. And even though I didn't entirely love the scene where he spoke with Ansem the Wise (due to what I think was poor writing for Ansem), he still had well-written/acted apology.

I actually think Ienzo has a larger role to play. Sure, he was *just* one of Ansem's apprentices, but the OG blank points cutscenes where they focus on him make me think that he's more important than we think. Especially considering his very, very mysterious powers as a Nobody, the fact that Axel feels the need to take him out for mysterious reasons, and so forth.

EDIT: Especially considering that VERY mysterious conversation he has with Xigbar/Luxu about Xemnas, the Chamber of Waking/Repose, the graveyard in Radiant Garden, and Castle Oblivion. I think there's way more to Ienzo than meets the eye.

Last edited:

Graceful Schemer

Ienzo definitely gets the best feature and development of the non-combatants. I'm glad the plot point with Ansem the Wise is brought back even if it is rather brief and that the betrayal has a stem that is logical enough.

As for his relevance in the future, I guess he is more likely to be prominent as the next generation of primary researcher replacing Ansem the Wise and Even. There is also the orphan plot point. Considering the fact that none others seems to really have active parents, this might come back. It serves two purposes currently. First is to link him and Ven as being 'alone' and second is a plot point that can be come back to should the writers wish.

And, there is that resemblance with Brain people have been talking about since Brain's debut. I mean, I guess their hair style and hair colour are similar enough, but what really possibly connects them is that they are the intellectual types who involve themselves with research and secrets of their respective affiliations.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I just hope that whatever Kingdom Hearts entry he is involved in next, he has the opportunity to use his illusion powers again.

And, there is that resemblance with Brain people have been talking about since Brain's debut. I mean, I guess their hairstyle and hair colour are similar enough, but what really possibly connects them is that they are the intellectual types who involve themselves with research and secrets of their respective affiliations.

Honestly, I don't think he is associated with Brain anymore, I initially thought that he was Brain, but then Brain's character art was released and I dismissed the notion of them being connected (which I am personally glad for).

SerDuncan

Actually, speaking of Zexion's Illusion powers... apart from Lea (who I feel is a very special case), have any of the recompleted Nobodies been able to use their magic/weapons any more? We haven't seen any of them use their powers, and I don't think it would be too ridiculous to assume that they just might not have those abilities any more. Apart from people specifically trained as mages (like Donald/Jaffar) and nobodies, we haven't really seen anyone with specific elemental powers, and I highly doubt the apprentices trained to gain the ability to use ice and summon a shield, or wind and summon lances, before they became nobodies.

As with Lea... I.. uh... really have no idea. Maybe he can use fire because he had the potential to become a Keyblade Wielder?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Indeed, Ienzo got what I think the other "major" characters present on the cover art should have gotten to various degrees instead of being "benched" until a few scenes before and during the final battle series.

In anything, how the game portrayed Ienzo is actually an example how to do a story around atonement and redemption that is actually believable and gives you actually the opportunity to say that "yes, he actually earned every form of forgiveness he gets".

Graceful Schemer

I just hope that whatever Kingdom Hearts entry he is involved in next, he has the opportunity to use his illusion powers again.

Honestly, I don't think he is associated with Brain anymore, I initially thought that he was Brain, but then Brain's character art was released and I dismissed the notion of them being connected (which I am personally glad for).

Absolutely agree with the first point. On the second, I do not really mind either way on a conceptual level depending on the execution.

Actually, speaking of Zexion's Illusion powers... apart from Lea (who I feel is a very special case), have any of the recompleted Nobodies been able to use their magic/weapons any more? We haven't seen any of them use their powers, and I don't think it would be too ridiculous to assume that they just might not have those abilities any more. Apart from people specifically trained as mages (like Donald/Jaffar) and nobodies, we haven't really seen anyone with specific elemental powers, and I highly doubt the apprentices trained to gain the ability to use ice and summon a shield, or wind and summon lances, before they became nobodies.

As with Lea... I.. uh... really have no idea. Maybe he can use fire because he had the potential to become a Keyblade Wielder?

I think this is an age-old question. Do becoming Nobodies grant new/improved powers? Braig can manipulate Space pre-Nobody though. It's possible that Keyblade Wielders are reliant on their keyblades for magics since that is how they channel them normally like how Aqua did not use magic at all (though that can just be problematic writing). It would appear only specific types of wizards like Merlin and Yen Sid are capable of 'Magic' in the traditional sense. Donald has only used magic with his weapons, I think. It seems like the former two also share the ability to know things (from the stars or otherwise).

Another reverse question would be: Do Recompleted Somebodies retain Nobodies' states' powers? Sure, Corridor of Darkness is tricky for Somebodies. Dilan and Aeleus already used a premature forms of their weapon types as Somebodies as well.

Before Ienzo is full-on redemption, I thought he might be using his Illusions against Lea for what he did to him. Thought that Isa's scar might come into play here.

As for Lea specifically, we saw that he can summon his chakrams pre-keyblade, so there's that. Have to check, but
Spoiler Spoiler Show
, not sure whether that is a Keyblade transformation or fire manipulation.

Indeed, Ienzo got what I think the other "major" characters present on the cover art should have gotten to various degrees instead of being "benched" until a few scenes before and during the final battle series.

In anything, how the game portrayed Ienzo is actually an example how to do a story around atonement and redemption that is actually believable and gives you actually the opportunity to say that "yes, he actually earned every form of forgiveness he gets".

This is relatively consistent with Zexion's portrayal. While his alignment is antagonistic, he is on the benevolent side of the scale among the Organization as far as some showcases of his personalities and actions within the Organization is concerned. He is the most loyal per say. The original Japanese script conveys his personality better with language specific aspects and voice acting.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
It's a shame that not many people are talking about this character after they've finished the game. He may not be a primary character, but he definitely felt important.

SerDuncan

the only thing I don't like about Ienzo in KH3 is the blatant plot hole he creates in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWbeU2hHrwg

Where he says, and I quote: "Oh, I guess we haven't spoken since the castle."

Personally, I feel that even if this was intentional, and there was some hidden interaction between Sora and Ienzo that we haven't seen for some reason, it'll feel like an asspull. I remember thinking about that line every time he was onscreen, and sometimes it soured the scenes for me. Just one of those little missteps that's gonna bother me for a while.

I can't read or understand Japanese so I can't see if it was just a mistranslation or something, but I would assume the JP dialogue is probably the same.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Yes. I feel like Ienzo is one of the better written and developed characters, and I think we may see more of him in the coming games. I think Nomura likes his character as much as to make him return, and I feel like he may explore the father-son theme around Ienzo-Ansem.

Graceful Schemer

the only thing I don't like about Ienzo in KH3 is the blatant plot hole he creates in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWbeU2hHrwg

Where he says, and I quote: "Oh, I guess we haven't spoken since the castle."

Personally, I feel that even if this was intentional, and there was some hidden interaction between Sora and Ienzo that we haven't seen for some reason, it'll feel like an asspull. I remember thinking about that line every time he was onscreen, and sometimes it soured the scenes for me. Just one of those little missteps that's gonna bother me for a while.

I can't read or understand Japanese so I can't see if it was just a mistranslation or something, but I would assume the JP dialogue is probably the same.

The JP Dialogue is something along the line of 'This is the first time we speak as my real self.' and with how nonchalant he was, I think that, from his perspective, he kind of interact with Sora in the sense of actively discussing him with his allies. But, yes, considering that the director makes it a point that it is difficult to keep track of who met whom already, it may very well be an oversight.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The JP Dialogue is something along the line of 'This is the first time we speak as my real self.' and with how nonchalant he was, I think that, from his perspective, he kind of interact with Sora in the sense of actively discussing him with his allies. But, yes, considering that the director makes it a point that it is difficult to keep track of who met whom already, it may very well be an oversight.

Nomura needs a writing assistant. I can understand that CoM and Re: CoM were released years ago, Re: CoM has been re-released, like, thrice now with The Story So Far? I think Nomura should watch those KINGDOM HEARTS cutscene movie videos in YouTube before progressing to writing the next game's scenario.

fantasy08

Other than thinking that his Nobody's death scene(and Vexen's)were absolutely horrifying in Re:Com I never gave much thought to him. As a human though I've grown to really like and respect him. If they were going for Organization atonement I thought his was one of the better ones. I also like how they showed his curiosity and sweet nature in his facial expressions and way of speaking. He's adorable.

After finishing the game I went back and looked at all his scenes as Zexion from Re:Com and KH2 Final Mix, and the difference a heart makes is striking. He had an evil, mysterious, manipulative, and stuckup-ish air about him as Zexion,but as Ienzo the curiosity is still there but it's sweet natured instead of malevolent. Even his voice inflection and tone is different from his nobody. He just doesn't give off Zexion's darker air anymore or tendency to commit murder lol.

I like his scenes with
Spoiler Spoiler Show

In future titles he can take over the 'here's what you need to know about this nonsense plot' role from Ansem the Wise and the Disney wizard.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories Chain of Memories

I like his scenes with
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Judging by the fact that Namine has a lot of access to Sora's heart, it's possible that she knew firsthand that everyone in the room was on the good side.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I liked Ienzo alright--mostly because I think of Sailor Moon whenever he's talking because of the voice actor.

I don't really think he shines as a character though? Really he's mostly a plot device, there to blurt out whatever fodder Sora needs to hear to move things along. (Which feels as if it should've been Squall's role!) Character development to me would've been seeing him interact with the other Apprentices for more than a glance, the FF characters / RG citizens, etc. and actually addressing the harm he did to Radiant Garden and the rest of the worlds. The most they do with him is the scene with Ansem the Wise. Feels about the same amount of development as Larxene, Demyx, and Luxord--but below Even / Isa.

Graceful Schemer

Other than thinking that his nobodies death scene(and Vexen's)were absolutely horrifying in Re:Com I never gave much thought to him. As a human though I've grown to really like and respect him. If they were going for atonement I thought his was one of the better done ones. I also like how they showed his curiosity and sweet nature in his facial expressions and way of speaking. He's adorable.

After finishing the game I went back and looked at all his scenes as Zexion from Re:Com and KH2 Final Mix, and the difference a heart makes is striking. He had an evil, mysterious, manipulative, and stuckup-ish air about him as Zexion,but as Ienzo the curiosity is still there but it's sweet natured instead of malevolent. Even his voice inflection and tone is different from his nobody. He just doesn't give off Zexion's darker air anymore or tendency to commit murder lol.

I like his scenes with
Spoiler Spoiler Show

In future titles he can take over the 'here's what you need to know about this nonsense plot' role from Ansem the Wise and the Disney wizard.

The Jap script also maintains his very polite speech pattern throughout and the voice acting is slightly less malevolent as Zexion.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
So does anyone think that Ienzo will appear in future games? The Apprentices? Perhaps he'll be the franchise's info-dumping character.

SerDuncan

So does anyone think that Ienzo will appear in future games? The Apprentices? Perhaps he'll be the franchise's info-dumping character.

Oh yeah, for sure. I think he's going to join Ventus, Isa and Lea as important characters in the present day with ties to KHUX members. I think he might even take a more protagonist-y role. And while I do think that we're not moving away from Disney, we could very well see the slow phase out of main series staples, like Jiminy Cricket, in exchange for original characters who fulfil a similar purpose. I think Ienzo, through the gummiphone or whatever, might end up being our data collection character while also getting more involved in the plot. Unlike, say, Dilan and Aeleus who I think are going to be relegated to background entities.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I would rather Namine take over the info-dumping role, but if she's a love interest now, I guess allowing her to do something would be out of the question.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I would rather Namine take over the info-dumping role, but if she's a love interest now, I guess allowing her to do something would be out of the question.

Ienzo and Namine could totally work together. Ienzo has the smarts and the illusion powers whilst Namine can connect with those close to Sora (assuming she still has those powers).

I honestly don't think that love-interest hint between Riku and Namine is going anywhere, seems like a tease more than anything else.

Back