• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Idea about Days and Recoded... (Fun discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

vaderskywalker

Awards
what if Days and Recoded were just ported to a home console? meaning no graphics updates, just the games as they were on the ds, except for the cutscenes, there's even evidence that it can be done, look at the original doom (1993) and doom 2, they have been ported so many times already from pc, to Sega, to SNES, to PS1, to PS3 and the Xbox 360, to PS4, Xbox one, and Nintendo switch, to even gameboy at one point and no doubt there going to be on newer consoles as well, so what's stopping square Enix from doing the same with Days and Recoded, what are your thoughts?(and yes, I know there different company's but still)

Chie

Awards
You know the DS has two screens, right? Adjusting for that + testing budget + advertising budget = already a lot of money and resources, from the company's perspective. There's no reason not to redo the unique assets after that. Also everyone online would whine about how they were too lazy to change the graphics to modern standards and how they think DS games look like shit.

Also everyone has the ability to just download the original game and play it, I don't know what this would accomplish.

vaderskywalker

Awards
You know the DS has two screens, right? Adjusting for that + testing budget + advertising budget = already a lot of money and resources, from the company's perspective. There's no reason not to redo the unique assets after that. Also everyone online would whine about how they were too lazy to change the graphics to modern standards and how they think DS games look like shit.

Also everyone has the ability to just download the original game and play it, I don't know what this would accomplish.
Well, I was kind of thinking that they could do what they did with the second screen for the remaster of DDD, but a lot simpler, because the second screen had no purpose beyond a map, and to move the camera around, (which made no sense because you could have done that with the shoulder buttons), and they could just move the map to the same place it's always been on the other games, and what do you mean everyone can download it? if that were the case, I would have done the same, or are you talking about DOOM?.

Chie

Awards
Yes, they can easily move the map and everything else, but that's no longer an exact port, is it? So they have to have a dev team in there making those decisions, so they have to put that team together, and so on...

Also all video games are digital media and can thus be downloaded by anyone.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Yes, they can easily move the map and everything else, but that's no longer an exact port, is it? So they have to have a dev team in there making those decisions, so they have to put that team together, and so on...

Also all video games are digital media and can thus be downloaded by anyone.
how is that any different from a port of the original DOOM games?

and if that was the case, why can't I find them on the Nintendo Eshop, or PSN?

Chie

Awards
Yup, those are the only two places on the internet in which digital data is stored

AegisXIII

Awards
Technically, it's possible. Although the dual screen would need a bit of refinement. But I do not think they would ever do that for the simple reason that they know that people have some basic expectations and releasing a port without any update would give them the reputation of being lazy.
Look at Crisis Core. They could have released it as it was. It uses the exact same engine than Birth By Sleep. But they rather decided to update it rather than to release a nostalgic experience that does not hold to today's gaming standards.
Surely days and recoded will come someday, but I do not think in this form.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Yup, those are the only two places on the internet in which digital data is stored
Your right, they aren't the only places data is stored, but there the only places I have access to, and I don't have a gaming pc, or an Xbox.
Technically, it's possible. Although the dual screen would need a bit of refinement. But I do not think they would ever do that for the simple reason that they know that people have some basic expectations and releasing a port without any update would give them the reputation of being lazy.
Look at Crisis Core. They could have released it as it was. It uses the exact same engine than Birth By Sleep. But they rather decided to update it rather than to release a nostalgic experience that does not hold to today's gaming standards.
Surely days and recoded will come someday, but I do not think in this form.
well, like I said DOOM did it.

and I have never played crisis Core, my only experience with Final Fantasy is a 13-2 demo, the full games of 15, 7 original, and 7 remake, and that's it, Kingdom Hearts was my introduction to Final Fantasy, so I missed My chance with Crisis Core, I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to Final Fantasy.

Chie

Awards
And to be clear, this is all because of the way business is set up. If Square Enix was just One Guy, yeah, he could just sell the game on itch for five bucks, with the mouse configured for the stylus. That's not how it works in a massive company, though.

Your right, they aren't the only places data is stored, but there the only places I have access to
You are posting on this forum! You clearly can go to any website you want

vaderskywalker

Awards
And to be clear, this is all because of the way business is set up. If Square Enix was just One Guy, yeah, he could just sell the game on itch for five bucks, with the mouse configured for the stylus. That's not how it works in a massive company, though.

You are posting on this forum! You clearly can go to any website you want
Yes, I could, problem is the computer I'm using is very cheap, it slows down, a lot, and I have to reboot it every time that happens, and the only sites I go to are, fanfiction.net, YouTube, and this site, so even if I could download a game, it would probably crash my computer, I don't trust this thing to stay stable during a game, it doesn't even have a disc drive.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes, I could, problem is the computer I'm using is very cheap, it slows down, a lot, and I have to reboot it every time that happens, and the only sites I go to are, fanfiction.net, YouTube, and this site, so even if I could download a game, it would probably crash my computer, I don't trust this thing to stay stable during a game, it doesn't even have a disc drive.
You could emulate it on your phone, technically. If you have a 3DS, you could crack it and be able to install them on it.

AegisXIII

Awards
You could emulate it on your phone, technically. If you have a 3DS, you could crack it and be able to install them on it.
Even though, emulating a game is not always a comfortable user experience, especially for ds titles.
But do you need to crack a 3ds to play ds titles? I thought it was working out of the box.

vaderskywalker

Awards
1. I don't know how to emulate games.

2. Even if I did, I only have a flip phone (the kind that folds in haif, has buttons, and was around before androids,) love the classics.

and 3. Even if I had a 3ds, I don't know how to hack.

AegisXIII

Awards
I thought it would be terribly ugly, but it's not that bad actually on emulator, thanks to the antialiasing:

vaderskywalker

Awards
Even though, emulating a game is not always a comfortable user experience, especially for ds titles.
But do you need to crack a 3ds to play ds titles? I thought it was working out of the box.
and yeah, it had backwards compatibility right out of the box, so there would be no reason to hack it.

AegisXIII

Awards
1. I don't know how to emulate games.

2. Even if I did, I only have a flip phone (the kind that folds in haif, has buttons, and was around before androids,) love the classics.

and 3. Even if I had a 3ds, I don't know how to hack.
Emulating a game is not hard especially for nintendo titles. But downloading a hacked title is often illegal in some countries and it can indeed be hard on your computer. I have rarely finished an emulated game because the experience is always a bit cluncky.

Back