• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Idea about Days and Recoded... (Fun discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chie

Awards
Well, I think OP going into what they can personally play is essentially saying that that's what the thread was about in the first place, ports for them in particular.

Which does bring up some stuff... as much as I wanted Days and re:Coded to be on the PS3 collection (and still wish they were), in the big picture of Videogames, there will always be more games that can't get ported to modern consoles, because you (the developers) only have time and money for so many. Even if you ported every game on Earth to the Switch, you'd have to do it all over again for the Switch 2 (or whatever the next thing without backwards compatibility would be). And each one of these ports is taking resources away from the whole Making Games thing in the first place.

In the end, sometimes you simply gotta pull out a Nintendo DS. If not for Kingdom Hearts, then for Blood of Bahamut; if not for that, then for Nanashi no Game... (in terms of Square Enix examples). It's not something people interested in older games can truly avoid.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Well, I think OP going into what they can personally play is essentially saying that that's what the thread was about in the first place, ports for them in particular.

Which does bring up some stuff... as much as I wanted Days and re:Coded to be on the PS3 collection (and still wish they were), in the big picture of Videogames, there will always be more games that can't get ported to modern consoles, because you (the developers) only have time and money for so many. Even if you ported every game on Earth to the Switch, you'd have to do it all over again for the Switch 2 (or whatever the next thing without backwards compatibility would be). And each one of these ports is taking resources away from the whole Making Games thing in the first place.

In the end, sometimes you simply gotta pull out a Nintendo DS. If not for Kingdom Hearts, then for Blood of Bahamut; if not for that, then for Nanashi no Game... (in terms of Square Enix examples). It's not something people interested in older games can truly avoid.
Fair enough.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
1. I don't know how to emulate games.

2. Even if I did, I only have a flip phone (the kind that folds in haif, has buttons, and was around before androids,) love the classics.

and 3. Even if I had a 3ds, I don't know how to hack.
I'm not trying to be rude or judgemental (I love flip-phones myself) but why don't you have a smartphone? I thought almost everyone has it these days for the usefulness alone. Though I do have friends that don't have one, so I suppose it isn't the end-all be-all for mobile usefulness.

As for emulation, it's pretty easy. You download the emulator, then you download the ROM. You open the emulator and apply the ROM. Although, I do think you need a stronger computer, so no worries. But aside from that, I do agree that porting ReCoded and Days would be very difficult. With DDD, I'm guessing it was simple since it had less of a reliance on the dual screen.
But do you need to crack a 3ds to play ds titles? I thought it was working out of the box.
If you want to emulate it as close to the DS experience has possible, you can crack a 3DS.

Last edited:

vaderskywalker

Awards
I'm not trying to be rude or judgemental (I love flip-phones myself) but why don't you have a smartphone? I thought almost everyone has it these days for the usefulness alone. Though I do have friends that don't have one, so I suppose it isn't the end-all be-all for mobile usefulness.
Not at all, it's a fair question, I still have one, but I only use it for computer stuff in case something goes wrong with my actual computer, it's just that I don't really like touchscreens, you know finger prints and all that, really messes up the screen, I prefer buttons, especially if you hit the wrong number or letter on a touch screen by mistake.

Chie

Awards
I also don't use a smartphone (well, I use a handed-down one for calls and texts, but I can't download anything on it because apple's funny prank) for similar reasons. (I like old style touch screens like the DS, but phone touch screens are simply garbage that you have to clean after every touch; the Switch uses this kind of touch screen too and it's practically useless.) It's always bugged me that people consider stuff like Union X and Missing Link more "accessible" than the handheld games were in their day... the DS was vastly, vastly cheaper than a smart phone (plus, it actually has games on it instead of gacha algorithms with nomura visual novel scenes in between)

vaderskywalker

Awards
I also don't use a smartphone (well, I use a handed-down one for calls and texts, but I can't download anything on it because apple's funny prank) for similar reasons. (I like old style touch screens like the DS, but phone touch screens are simply garbage that you have to clean after every touch; the Switch uses this kind of touch screen too and it's practically useless.) It's always bugged me that people consider stuff like Union X and Missing Link more "accessible" than the handheld games were in their day... the DS was vastly, vastly cheaper than a smart phone (plus, it actually has games on it instead of gacha algorithms with nomura visual novel scenes in between)
And that is the main reason I believe UX, DR, and ML would have done better on a console, that's all I have to say on it, and I'm done talking about it.

Edit: for the record, I meant the phone games, sorry for any misunderstandings.

Last edited:
Back