• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► IB or no?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
(if you don't know what IB is you probably won't understand any of the abbreviations I use)

Well, a couple months ago, I chose to take a HL IB Bio course for my Junior/Senior years. Yesterday, I had to go to "IB Camp", where me and the other 50 people who were doing IB sat down in the auditorium and got a taste of what we would do.

I was one of a few people there not doing the full diploma, and the only one who was doing 1 class. So the IB coordinator sat me down and tried to convince me to do the whole diploma. I could pair Bio with Spanish, and add Chemistry and Math HL, with everything else I need to take being SL. She succeeded, but college success<not being harassed by my parents. (my parents loathe the program)

What I am afraid of, though, would be the fact that I'd pretty much be locked into a single clique, and have to see the 30 or so IB kids in my year for the rest of high school, with the only time I'm exposed to my friends outside of IB being lunch, and the rare occasions that my afternoons free up. I'm also a tad scared of the extended essay and CAS hours. The good thing is that I like/hear good things about the teachers I'd be exposed to for those 2 years, plus many of my closer friends are doing the program. I'm also afraid of how my parents, especially my mother (who is convinced that IB=easy), would handle me completely rewriting my high school schedule behind their back.

What should I do?

Kyo_

There's a fish flying outside my window :/
Educationally speaking, if you can handle the IB courses then it's a good idea. I have some friends that are in IB and they said that the classes are hard but it'll be worth it.

Think of it this way. You'll be saving money because you'll be [skipping] earning credit hours while in high school. that's 4 semesters that you don't have to pay for (not to mention rent, books, fees, food). You'll be able to focus completely on whatever career you choose, instead of worrying about other hoops/hurdles.

Angel

Yeah, that is a benefit, although there are some courses that I don't feel prepared for (HL Math, ToK, to name a few).

Not to mention that it would help me along on college apps, since I'm not in anything like NHS.

Spic Steve

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOL
Awards
CAS isn't very hard. It's the summer before my sophomore year and I already have 23 action hours and I'm going to finish my creativity at Duke TiP.
As for Extended Essay, I haven't done one yet. But I doubt they are hard. They are just long.

Akans

&#12300;moriya&#12301;
Angelus said:
Well, a couple months ago, I chose to take a HL IB Bio course for my Junior/Senior years. Yesterday, I had to go to "IB Camp", where me and the other 50 people who were doing IB sat down in the auditorium and got a taste of what we would do.
Why did you have go to an IB camp?
Angelus said:
(who is convinced that IB=easy)
Oh dear lord no. Its damn harder than your parents think. In general the courses would be at AP level, with some variances (AP Chinese in my school is around a Chinese 4 class, IB Chinese is Chinese 5-6). You learn things in a much more in depth manner because you take it for two years. Also, have you tried reviewing for a final exam on material you learned two years ago? Its not as easy as an AP class where you just dig up the notes from half an year ago.

But I'm not trying to scare you off. IB isn't easy, but its not the end of the world :p
Spic Steve said:
But I doubt they are hard. They are just long.
Lol I knew a guy who did it within the last two or three days before the deadline. I dunno what he got but I don't think it was an A...

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
IB is only useful if you're going to be something like a lawyer, teacher, doctor, business personal or something of the like.
I was in IB up until my junior year and it leaves you no room to be creative, not even in the art classes.
You won't be locked in to a single clique of friends if you have friends outside of IB before you join in, although I will admit those are pretty much the only people you'll be spending any time with seeing as your cut off from everyone else.

If you teachers suck or you hate your classmates you're pretty much stuck with them too.
The extended essay's aren't that bad as long as you know what you're talking about and the Community Service hours aren't too bad if you do them with several other people so you're not the only one; that's what I did at least.

It's a good program but if you're looking to be something more creative rather than something that requires you to be in school for a couple extra years then it isn't for you. The whole entering into college already on your Sophomore year is a nice perk though, but your Senior year is gonna be hell.
I had friends who did and it was tiring but you do get out of classes earlier than everyone else.

Angel

Why did you have go to an IB camp?

lol it wasn't an actual camp, we just went for one day to hear about it.

Oh dear lord no. Its damn harder than your parents think. In general the courses would be at AP level, with some variances (AP Chinese in my school is around a Chinese 4 class, IB Chinese is Chinese 5-6). You learn things in a much more in depth manner because you take it for two years. Also, have you tried reviewing for a final exam on material you learned two years ago? Its not as easy as an AP class where you just dig up the notes from half an year ago.

My parents are stubborn and won't listen. HL Bio is supposed to be real difficult, and HL Math moreso than that.

╬ProperArtist╬;4058416 said:
IB is only useful if you're going to be something like a lawyer, teacher, doctor, business personal or something of the like.
I was in IB up until my junior year and it leaves you no room to be creative, not even in the art classes.
You won't be locked in to a single clique of friends if you have friends outside of IB before you join in, although I will admit those are pretty much the only people you'll be spending any time with seeing as your cut off from everyone else.

Doctor would be nice.

If you teachers suck or you hate your classmates you're pretty much stuck with them too.
The extended essay's aren't that bad as long as you know what you're talking about and the Community Service hours aren't too bad if you do them with several other people so you're not the only one; that's what I did at least.

Like I said, teachers I'd have wouldn't suck, and the classmates wouldn't suck either (there is one, but I hope I never ever see him).

It's a good program but if you're looking to be something more creative rather than something that requires you to be in school for a couple extra years then it isn't for you. The whole entering into college already on your Sophomore year is a nice perk though, but your Senior year is gonna be hell.
I had friends who did and it was tiring but you do get out of classes earlier than everyone else.

Eh, that bothers me too. Being done with a 1-2 years of college right from the get-go.

Might not be that different since I'm doing almost all AP classes from here on out anyway.

Akans

&#12300;moriya&#12301;
IB is better if your planning to go to college outside of the United States, since its universally accepted in all countries. AP is better if you want to stay in America, because American colleges seem value AP higher for some screwed reason. In general.

But it's changing quickly. Many colleges in America have revised their position on IB and are continuing to do so. For all I know, my info could be out of date. I'm not one to read the news.

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
Eh, that bothers me too. Being done with a 1-2 years of college right from the get-go.

Might not be that different since I'm doing almost all AP classes from here on out anyway.

IB is much harder than AP.
AP's pretty much what all the smarter kids in the school did because you can still have a life.
IB pretty much takes up all your time pretty much and your lumped in GPA wise with everyone else.
Even if you're taking harder classes if you're not doing so great you'll be rated under those people taking AP classes and if you fail one exam I believe you don't get the diploma.
Most of my friends who went through it completely regret it considering they didn't end up going to prestigious schools like they originally planned and most all of them didn't get the full credits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back