• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I REALLY need to get into this series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorseselover

The only game I have is 3 and I don't have a PS3 or an Xbox, and I'm sick of Nintendo only releasing spin-offs that no one gives a shit about! but it looks like an emotional video game franchise and I love anything that's emotional. I'm gonna get a PS4 and download the games from 7 to 14. Which one is the most emotional though?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Uh, you can't download 7-13 on your PS4. You can't even play PS3 games on the PS4, let alone PS1 and PS2 games. I'm not sure what Nintendo games you are referring to unless you mean Crystal Chronicles or 4HoL? Because 4HoL is great and FF3 & FF4 are on the DS.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You'll probably be able to play the majority of these FF games on the PS4 in a few years, but for the time being ... You can really only just play PS4 games.

As to the most emotional games, well ... I can easily recommend VI, VII, VIII, IX and X. They're the best ones if you ask me. Each is unique on its own, so if you don't really like some of them, you might just as well absolutely adore others. Definitely give them a try if you can.

Scorseselover

Uh, you can't download 7-13 on your PS4. You can't even play PS3 games on the PS4, let alone PS1 and PS2 games. I'm not sure what Nintendo games you are referring to unless you mean Crystal Chronicles or 4HoL? Because 4HoL is great and FF3 & FF4 are on the DS.
Actually Sony is adding a feature to the PS4 where you can download games on PS1-3

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Actually Sony is adding a feature to the PS4 where you can download games on PS1-3

Which is currently in invitation-only beta testing, and none of these games are available even in that.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
On what system do yo own III on? This will help us to give you recommendations with what titles are available.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
Yes, what are all the systems you have? Also, just because a game isn't a flagship/numbered title like I through XIV, doesn't mean it is not emotional or worthwhile.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I can't speak for the OP, but when they mention spin-offs on Nintendo consoles, they may also be talking about My Life as a King, My Life as a Darklord or, definitely worth a scolding: Crystal Defenders (even if you like Crystal Defenders, the Wii version is insufficient and overpriced). Mystic Quest is also on the VC, that's a spinoff for sure.

To the OP: I originally wrote a lot, but it was getting confusing so I'll just say this. We do need to know what systems you have, and anything more you can tell us about what you're looking for in a game. Square's made it very easy to get pretty much every core Final Fantasy game these days, if you know where to look. You may already have a system that can play tons of them. There are core Final Fantasy games available digitally on the PS3, Wii, Wii U, iPhone, Android, and Windows PCs via Steam, not to forget all the hard-copy games out there. If you've got your heart set on a PS4, hopefully that feature will be added soon!

By the way: Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV are actually subscription-based MMORPGs, not single-player RPGs. Thought you ought to know that.

Last edited:

Scorseselover

I have NES, N64, DS, 3DS, PS1, PS2, WII (which by the way is where I have FF3), GBC, GBA, and WII U

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I assume the FF3 you're talking about is FF6, considering that the real FF3 was never on Wii.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I wondered if that might have been what you meant about "FF3." For the record, Final Fantasy IV was released in the rest of the world as "Final Fantasy II" and FFVI came out as "Final Fantasy III." The confusion lives on! Unless you're actually from Japan, you probably have Final Fantasy VI.

Okay, on those systems, you can get all sorts of Final Fantasy games, but let's focus on the ones with digital purchases: The Wii, Wii U and 3DS... and there isn't anything on the 3DS. Except Bravely Default. Bravely Default's great, it's the best "Final Fantasy" game in years, but I'm going to stick to your criteria of name-brand, numbered Final Fantasies.

The Wii and Wii U hav Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy 4 (under the name "Final Fantasy 2") and Final Fantasy 6, which you have. The Wii and Wii U also have Final Fantasy 4's sequel, The After Years, in the WiiWare section. In terms of emotional stories, 4 is so-so. It has a great emotional opening half, but the latter half meanders. It's not that bad but you could do better. The After Years talks a lot about family connections, I like it for that.

FF1 doesn't have a story worth talking about.

You didn't mention your PC, but you can get the real Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8 on Steam. You'll need a somewhat reliable internet connection because the PC games have online DRM. Final Fantasy 3 won't fit your definition of an emotional story, it only comes close once or twice. Gexus has already recommended 7 and 8.

There are also PC versions of Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV, the MMOs. I think I've heard the PC is the best way to play XI, but I haven't heard any opinions on XIV. Keep in mind that they are subscription based, and I don't know anything about their stories. Anyone?

If you don't mind looking for hard-copies, it wouldn't be that hard to find copies of every Final Fantasy from 1-12 for the systems you already have. Heck, multiple versions. FF2 isn't very emotional, even if it's better than 1, but I'm of the opinion that 5 is more emotional than most people give it credit. It just doesn't take itself seriously all the time. Other people have talked about the remaining games.

Keep in mind that Final Fantasy XII is only available in hard-copy for the PS2, so if you want it, you'll have to track it down! Even a PS3 won't help you there!

But if you've got your heart set on a new system, I get that. Here's some purchasing advice for the PS3 and 4:

The PSN sells copies of FF1 and 2, and every game from 4 through 9. It also sells alternate versions of 1, 2 and 4 on the PSP.

The remake of 10 and 10-2 are on the PS3 in hard copy, and of course the 13 games - XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Revenge Returns - were released for PS3. Unfortunately, the PS4 can't play PS3 games, so that might be a dead end. Hopefully they'll be ported, but don't get your hopes up. If all else fails, 10 is on the PS2.

A few games have sequels and prequels out there that you could buy for systems you already have, but I'm sure you're not interested in those until you've tried the originals! I've mentioned a few because they're in bundles but there's more out there if you fall in love with a particular game.

I told you I had typed a lot.

Last edited:

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
It also sells alternate versions of 1, 2 and 4 on the PSP.

I wouldn't call them alternate versions. They're more like remakes. Same game but with improved graphics etc.

The remake of 10 and 10-2 are on the PS3 in hard copy, and of course the 13 games - XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning's Revenge - were released for PS3.

[video=youtube;H47ow4_Cmk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0&feature=kp[/video]

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Well I think I've improved on the XIII trilogy. My work here is done.

As to "versions," I definitely used the word wrong there for 2 and 4, but in since you've brought it up, the magic system and rebalancing in FF1 does come close to making them different versions. Enough to force you to weigh the pros and cons between one and the other, at least. But since the OP probably isn't going to care about FF1, I guess there's nothing more to say.

There is another version of FF4 the OP could get: the 3D version on the DS (and iOS). Since I don't want to drag this out, I'll just say: A little more story, a little more emotional, a much harder combat system.

Last edited:

chinchapley

I also at first really wanted to get into this series when I started playing Kingdom Hearts, and now I am and I absolutely love it. The best way I think to get into it is to start with X (which my favorite one) and if you don't care about bad graphics I would then start playing VII and VIII maybe VI. If you do care about graphics the final fantasy XIII series (which are FFXIII, FFXIII-2, and FFXIII: lighting returns) are always fun too. Im not to big on ff 11 and 14 since there mmo's which im not a big fan of. So yea I would start with X and then you choose the rest if you rly want to get into the series.

morgancb35

I playing final fantasy x first and then was hooked! So I recommend playing ffx

BlueKey777

Banned
I playing final fantasy x first and then was hooked! So I recommend playing ffx
I love the lvling up system in this game! It feels so much more fun to lvl up! Im just beat the part were my party trys to attack sin for the first time.

Scorseselover

Welll I did a little shopping on Amazon and ordered 7-10 and 12...and Sonic Mega Collection Plus. Now I'll be able to get into the series more

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Have fun!

Also, that's a good Sonic collection, I've got that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back