• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I need suggestions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I know there's a college thread and people can't really pick out your major for you. So instead of all that, what kind of job would be high paying enough to own one of these: Dream vehicle . If anyone could suggest something it might be enough to help me figure out what to go into. :cool: And to give you guys an idea of my personality, I'm the type that wants to go bungee jumping (once,) and go to concerts and ect. I mean, I know there are more important things in life to go to college for but, this is one of them for me. Always wanted to drive a motorcycle.

I'm not sure what the right thread this should be in. But I think it'll gain some attention I need. And I'll try to be more patient this time around.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
A good paralegal job would be a good fit. Just remember, its also the insurance policies you got to worry about. I'd recommend studying law up to 4 years and certificate. That's it.

Zul

Awards
I can't shake the feeling you're going to end up putting cat-ears on your motorcycle helmet.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Honestly, KitKat, I can't really tell you to go into accounting or anything like that because if you aren't passionate about what you're going into as a major, it severely effects your mood and how you see the job. If you care even a little bit about it, it helps. Start with your hobbies, expand on those. What would you be most happy with?

Also, possibly look into broad umbrella degrees like having a business degree or something. I know I'm not too much help in this department, as I still have no dream job [and no current job], and still haven't went to college... but this is something I noticed with my friends. Some went in starting with an accounting major, by suggestion of their parents and walked out with a major in Japanese and minor in business or something around that. Be flexible and patient with yourself. It's good to have a dream goal with your bike, but you can continually save even with retail jobs if you're smart about it. I'm still sitting on a decent sum of money from the past four years of saving.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I know there's a college thread and people can't really pick out your major for you. So instead of all that, what kind of job would be high paying enough to own one of these: Dream vehicle . If anyone could suggest something it might be enough to help me figure out what to go into. :cool: And to give you guys an idea of my personality, I'm the type that wants to go bungee jumping (once,) and go to concerts and ect. I mean, I know there are more important things in life to go to college for but, this is one of them for me. Always wanted to drive a motorcycle.

I'm not sure what the right thread this should be in. But I think it'll gain some attention I need. And I'll try to be more patient this time around.

What model motorcycle are you wanting? Be aware some/most states in the US may have a separate motorcycle license that you'll have to test for.

To afford that, insurance and all, and live on a more or less independent basis, I'd assume a job that pays around 65K or so a year (because at some point assuming you will be in the hospital, as with all vehicles, gotta have health and auto insurance) if you'd still be living at home, probably around 20-25K at maximum - this is just estimations. The problem is that what you major in isn't always the job field you will end up in (unless its something specific like academic research you're wanting to do, etc). It's really down to finding something you enjoy doing, etc; don't let money be your sole desire, cash is fleeting.

A motorcycle is (generally) a serious investment of your time. Regardless of what job you have, you want to look at how many hours of work it took to get the money to pay for whatever it is you're buying. Always, always, always if possible when purchasing any vehicles - cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc - pay fully up front and in cash, and be able to negotiate with the dealer beforehand. It's much better in the long run to do so because to pay it per month through the dealership's financing will have you paying a certain percentage of interest rate (like a bank loan), and you will wind up paying more on the motorcycle than the original price as a result.

Not to dissuade you Chocolate Crispu-chan, but don't get a motorcycle "just because you've always wanted to drive one." These are serious investments of time, money, and your possible life. There's no airbags, just pavement. And no helmet equals pretty much a 50/50 chance of survival in accidents.

Sorry to sound negative, just giving you a heads up.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
What model motorcycle are you wanting? Be aware some/most states in the US may have a separate motorcycle license that you'll have to test for.

To afford that, insurance and all, and live on a more or less independent basis, I'd assume a job that pays around 65K or so a year (because at some point assuming you will be in the hospital, as with all vehicles, gotta have health and auto insurance) if you'd still be living at home, probably around 20-25K at maximum - this is just estimations. The problem is that what you major in isn't always the job field you will end up in (unless its something specific like academic research you're wanting to do, etc). It's really down to finding something you enjoy doing, etc; don't let money be your sole desire, cash is fleeting.

A motorcycle is (generally) a serious investment of your time. Regardless of what job you have, you want to look at how many hours of work it took to get the money to pay for whatever it is you're buying. Always, always, always if possible when purchasing any vehicles - cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc - pay fully up front and in cash, and be able to negotiate with the dealer beforehand. It's much better in the long run to do so because to pay it per month through the dealership's financing will have you paying a certain percentage of interest rate (like a bank loan), and you will wind up paying more on the motorcycle than the original price as a result.

Not to dissuade you Chocolate Crispu-chan, but don't get a motorcycle "just because you've always wanted to drive one." These are serious investments of time, money, and your possible life. There's no airbags, just pavement. And no helmet equals pretty much a 50/50 chance of survival in accidents.

Sorry to sound negative, just giving you a heads up.

The Standard model GSX-S750.

I understand why people suggest doing something you love but, I feel like the things I like wouldn't ever fit the quota to afford something like that. However, you do have a great point about life and auto insurance because, I didn't think of that right away. Which is bad on my part. Excluding that, I know a major wouldn't necessarily line up a job for oneself because, I'd have to work my way up to the top and that takes time. Of course, finding a job is equally hard in this time from what I've been told by others as well.

On the bright side, I'll keep that in mind to pay it in full and up front then to do it monthly, if I ever get to that point of owning one. Thanks for the advice on this most of all. Also, who said I wouldn't wear a helmet?

Mr. Sloth didn't dissuade me at all and told me upfront what I needed to know and hear. There's a lot of time, money and hours I'll have to eventually put into for other things in life as well. So... don't worry about it.

Annoyance said:
Honestly, KitKat, I can't really tell you to go into accounting or anything like that because if you aren't passionate about what you're going into as a major, it severely effects your mood and how you see the job. If you care even a little bit about it, it helps. Start with your hobbies, expand on those. What would you be most happy with?

Also, possibly look into broad umbrella degrees like having a business degree or something. I know I'm not too much help in this department, as I still have no dream job [and no current job], and still haven't went to college... but this is something I noticed with my friends. Some went in starting with an accounting major, by suggestion of their parents and walked out with a major in Japanese and minor in business or something around that. Be flexible and patient with yourself. It's good to have a dream goal with your bike, but you can continually save even with retail jobs if you're smart about it. I'm still sitting on a decent sum of money from the past four years of saving.

I wish I were the patient type. lol.

That's the ultimate question I've asked myself for about three months and still haven't come up with an answer that satisfies me. :c I've considered accounting but, I've been dissuaded from it for the reason above you stated on people not having the heart in it or changing majors once they tried it and went with something they truly loved. Not at all! Your advice is equally as helpful as Professor Ven. I take both of your guys to heart to really think about it. And I wish you the best on figuring out what you want to do in life too. :3

robvandam11 said:
A good paralegal job would be a good fit. Just remember, its also the insurance policies you got to worry about. I'd recommend studying law up to 4 years and certificate. That's it.

Something I'll consider and think on. I'm not that great with people; so we'll see if that changes if I choose that kind of path.

Zul said:
I can't shake the feeling you're going to end up putting cat-ears on your motorcycle helmet.

As cool as that would be... nah, I'm not going to do that. xD

Victor said:
any job a jewish stereotype would have

I honestly don't know what that means. But thanks?

Alrighty then! Thank you guys for taking the time to indulge me with your advice! I found some of it quite helpful and something to ponder on. It'll be a great while yet before I ever get such a vehicle. You guys are welcome to still comment if, there's anything you want to say more on the matter or have more important advice for me at all.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
We are kind of in the same boat. Maybe, you should find a job developer. That is pretty much what I am doing, well mostly now I am just trying to find a job coach. Goodwill has really helped me quite a bit with job development.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Have you considered doing a career test at all KitKat? Just do a couple, and see what it gives you? Maybe get some juices flowing towards what makes you happy. And when I say, "Be patient." I literally just mean, don't force yourself. You got plenty of time for that bike to happen.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
The Standard model GSX-S750.

I understand why people suggest doing something you love but, I feel like the things I like wouldn't ever fit the quota to afford something like that. However, you do have a great point about life and auto insurance because, I didn't think of that right away. Which is bad on my part. Excluding that, I know a major wouldn't necessarily line up a job for oneself because, I'd have to work my way up to the top and that takes time. Of course, finding a job is equally hard in this time from what I've been told by others as well.

On the bright side, I'll keep that in mind to pay it in full and up front then to do it monthly, if I ever get to that point of owning one. Thanks for the advice on this most of all. Also, who said I wouldn't wear a helmet?

Mr. Sloth didn't dissuade me at all and told me upfront what I needed to know and hear. There's a lot of time, money and hours I'll have to eventually put into for other things in life as well. So... don't worry about it.

I wish I were the patient type. lol.

That's the ultimate question I've asked myself for about three months and still haven't come up with an answer that satisfies me. :c I've considered accounting but, I've been dissuaded from it for the reason above you stated on people not having the heart in it or changing majors once they tried it and went with something they truly loved. Not at all! Your advice is equally as helpful as Professor Ven. I take both of your guys to heart to really think about it. And I wish you the best on figuring out what you want to do in life too. :3

Something I'll consider and think on. I'm not that great with people; so we'll see if that changes if I choose that kind of path.

As cool as that would be... nah, I'm not going to do that. xD

I honestly don't know what that means. But thanks?

Alrighty then! Thank you guys for taking the time to indulge me with your advice! I found some of it quite helpful and something to ponder on. It'll be a great while yet before I ever get such a vehicle. You guys are welcome to still comment if, there's anything you want to say more on the matter or have more important advice for me at all.

And another thing, be safe riding on that thing if you ever do end up getting one. You're still young so you got a long career ahead of you. Just keep building. I kind of feel you in a way. I want to be satisfied economically and I'm sort of behind but I want to reach a point where I know I could sustain with the things I currently enjoy. I'm very innocuous and simple.

And what Annoyance said, "Patience." Don't get yourself with too much burden. Do it the right way you feel comfortable with.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Have you considered doing a career test at all KitKat? Just do a couple, and see what it gives you? Maybe get some juices flowing towards what makes you happy. And when I say, "Be patient." I literally just mean, don't force yourself. You got plenty of time for that bike to happen.

There's such a thing as a career test? I've never heard of one before and where would I find one? :O Yeah, I'll do a couple and see what I get from it, once I know where to look. Right, enjoy the present and take one day at a time. I'll try my best to follow your advice then and maybe, I'll slow down for once and try not to leap into jumping ahead. I just don't want to get old and not be where I see myself in five years or less from now...

robvandam111 said:
And another thing, be safe riding on that thing if you ever do end up getting one. You're still young so you got a long career ahead of you. Just keep building. I kind of feel you in a way. I want to be satisfied economically and I'm sort of behind but I want to reach a point where I know I could sustain with the things I currently enjoy. I'm very innocuous and simple.

And what Annoyance said, "Patience." Don't get yourself with too much burden. Do it the right way you feel comfortable with.

I got to learn how to drive one first. lol. Unless riding a Yamaha dirt bike counts? Yeah, I'll be safe if I ever have one and try not to land up in a hospital or worse. And that right there in bold is what I'm trying to achieve in life.

Right. I'll work on the patience. :3

Dreaded_Desired said:
We are kind of in the same boat. Maybe, you should find a job developer. That is pretty much what I am doing, well mostly now I am just trying to find a job coach. Goodwill has really helped me quite a bit with job development.

Job developer? I'm not sure what they do.

Well, glad you're able to figure it out and working on finding a job coach for yourself. :3 Interesting to hear Goodwill has a hand in it.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
There's such a thing as a career test? I've never heard of one before and where would I find one? :O Yeah, I'll do a couple and see what I get from it, once I know where to look. Right, enjoy the present and take one day at a time. I'll try my best to follow your advice then and maybe, I'll slow down for once and try not to leap into jumping ahead. I just don't want to get old and not be where I see myself in five years or less from now...

I got to learn how to drive one first. lol. Unless riding a Yamaha dirt bike counts? Yeah, I'll be safe if I ever have one and try not to land up in a hospital or worse. And that right there in bold is what I'm trying to achieve in life.

Right. I'll work on the patience. :3

Job developer? I'm not sure what they do.

Well, glad you're able to figure it out and working on finding a job coach for yourself. :3 Interesting to hear Goodwill has a hand in it.

Sometimes I kind of get scared thinking about it.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Everyone gets scared thinking about it. I want to be an editor still, but haven't had any progress towards going to college at all other than learning to drive now BUT

I'm workin' on it. It's never too late.

Also, I googled "career test" real quick and got some results. It's good to mix em up and see what they give you. Take your time and be honest as possible with them. It's good to think on it like, "in the past month what have i thought" not what you will think or "oh that sounds nice"

Just. Honesty.

For me, I got a lot of business related things along with arts and language [my field]. They aren't bad. But I warned you about being clear because if you jumble around saying "oh that, and that too" it may not know what to give you.

Also, I should mention that I got close to that amount for that bike. Even with spending and going to conventions all the time, just strict budgeting $100-$300 a paycheck. I put what I budgeted out of my paycheck to my savings for under 4 years with Walgreens just as a cashier to a shift leader [in the last year] and I'm still sitting on money. I left Walgreens with $6,000. Getting a full time job while going to school part time wouldn't be a bad idea. Or online courses towards the field that you discover. Just an idea.

Last edited:

noxy

I agree with whoever mentioned jumping into a career field you have no passion for. Because it can be draining.

On the other end of the spectrum, though, if your passion is something like music or arts, there isn't much in the way job-wise for either of those fields.

A couple of good options are maybe something in medical- whether it's nursing or even going on to be a PA after nursing school (they average around $70 - $90k/yr).

I think the real biggest thing, though, is which school you go to. Chain and for-profit schools like Phoenix, ITT Tech, Fortis, etc should be avoided at all costs. People think just having a college education and degree is awesome, but employers -do- look at where you attended and schools like that rank very low on their list of places they'd be willing to hire out of. Not to mention, they're main goal is to get your money. Their tuition is grossly inflated compared to a community college and a lot of times, you aren't really going to be where you should be in terms of knowledge and experience in whatever field you got a degree in- at least not where employers would want you to be, anyway. So you'll be in a ton of student loan debt with a junk degree and no job.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I disagree with art not having a field. Graphic design jobs exist everywhere, and there are many fields you can fit into. You just have to be flexible, able, and willing for the most part. You have to be creative and look everywhere.

:v Medical school is expensive as hell and all of that 70k goes into loans.
Go to community college.

noxy

Yeah- Graphic Design has jobs available, but a degree like Art History or something is kind of a junk degree. I should have clarified that. And on the same token, you can take on Graphic Design without a degree. Just learn how to use Photoshop or whatever program on your own and do freelance work from there. I know a couple of people who learned not just GD but also web design and development without having gone to college and are either working with a company of some sort or have their own website set up with services available.

And actual medical school or big university is expensive, but you can go to a community college for nursing just as well. Nurses make decent money, though the hours can be hellacious.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
people are good at one of three aspects of life: people, numbers, or things.

pick one and do something to make a life, not just to make a living. suffering for 40+ hours a week at a job you hate just so you can buy a motorcycle is a bad idea.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
robvandam111 said:
Sometimes I kind of get scared thinking about it.

Nice to have that in common with you and the rest of the world, dude. :3

Everyone gets scared thinking about it. I want to be an editor still, but haven't had any progress towards going to college at all other than learning to drive now BUT

I'm workin' on it. It's never too late.

Also, I googled "career test" real quick and got some results. It's good to mix em up and see what they give you. Take your time and be honest as possible with them. It's good to think on it like, "in the past month what have i thought" not what you will think or "oh that sounds nice"

Just. Honesty.

For me, I got a lot of business related things along with arts and language [my field]. They aren't bad. But I warned you about being clear because if you jumble around saying "oh that, and that too" it may not know what to give you.

Also, I should mention that I got close to that amount for that bike. Even with spending and going to conventions all the time, just strict budgeting $100-$300 a paycheck. I put what I budgeted out of my paycheck to my savings for under 4 years with Walgreens just as a cashier to a shift leader [in the last year] and I'm still sitting on money. I left Walgreens with $6,000. Getting a full time job while going to school part time wouldn't be a bad idea. Or online courses towards the field that you discover. Just an idea.

Right, never too late to learn something new or to achieve a new goal.

I'm still working on the career tests and trying out different ones to see what I get. And yeah, I'll be honest about it. I already know some of the things I don't want to be and that should make it easier to narrow it more down. Again, thank you for letting me know such a test exists. Hmm, taking courses and a job would be a good idea to invest in. It's pretty cool you came close for the bike and still have so much left from Walgreens.

noxy said:
I think the real biggest thing, though, is which school you go to. Chain and for-profit schools like Phoenix, ITT Tech, Fortis, etc should be avoided at all costs. People think just having a college education and degree is awesome, but employers -do- look at where you attended and schools like that rank very low on their list of places they'd be willing to hire out of. Not to mention, they're main goal is to get your money. Their tuition is grossly inflated compared to a community college and a lot of times, you aren't really going to be where you should be in terms of knowledge and experience in whatever field you got a degree in- at least not where employers would want you to be, anyway. So you'll be in a ton of student loan debt with a junk degree and no job.

I pity the people that go to those schools then. :p I thought college was meant to help you learn what you needed to know on a more general scale then the real experience comes from the field you work in?

I disagree with art not having a field. Graphic design jobs exist everywhere, and there are many fields you can fit into. You just have to be flexible, able, and willing for the most part. You have to be creative and look everywhere.

:v Medical school is expensive as hell and all of that 70k goes into loans.
Go to community college.

I planned on going to community college. xD

Yeah, I'm not going to be a nurse. I know way more than I'd personally like to in that field from someone I know and that's the last thing on earth I'd ever do. Nobody could pay me enough to do it.
And like you pointed out, Graphic Design is everywhere. So, I'm not sure how I'd feel about going into it when there are so many people out there that are already competing for jobs in it. But I won't shoot this one down because, it's not a bad idea.

Yeah- Graphic Design has jobs available, but a degree like Art History or something is kind of a junk degree. I should have clarified that. And on the same token, you can take on Graphic Design without a degree. Just learn how to use Photoshop or whatever program on your own and do freelance work from there. I know a couple of people who learned not just GD but also web design and development without having gone to college and are either working with a company of some sort or have their own website set up with services available.

And actual medical school or big university is expensive, but you can go to a community college for nursing just as well. Nurses make decent money, though the hours can be hellacious.

From what I've recently learned on Nursing, you want to actually have a bachelors degree in it. An associates would be a waste of time and from my area, nurses are getting laid off or getting hired but, don't know what they're doing compared to the experienced and older ones. :3 I'm not crazy about the notion of being one but, thanks for suggesting it.

And yeah, that's true people can learn how to Graphic Design from different programs that already exist. :D

people are good at one of three aspects of life: people, numbers, or things.

pick one and do something to make a life, not just to make a living. suffering for 40+ hours a week at a job you hate just so you can buy a motorcycle is a bad idea.

Then I guess my thing would be things.

A living is all I can see a job being. I have no idea how to begin picturing it as a life. A motorcycle was part of the minority of the things I'd like to buy at some point. I know there are things to be aiming for on a realistic scale. I'm not going to be one of those crazy people that buy things they can't afford or be in debt with. lol. Or I hope not. :c

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Then I guess my thing would be things.

A living is all I can see a job being. I have no idea how to begin picturing it as a life. A motorcycle was part of the minority of the things I'd like to buy at some point. I know there are things to be aiming for on a realistic scale. I'm not going to be one of those crazy people that buy things they can't afford or be in debt with. lol. Or I hope not. :c

So find something that you like to do that regards "things". It might be coding, it might be drawing, it might be knitting, it might be manufacturing, who knows. It's something. Everybody likes to do something, and your first instinct, contrary to what consumerism proposes, should not be to drop it if you can't make the kind of living you want out of it.

Not everybody gets to do what they love, but that's because a lot of them are too afraid to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back