• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► I miss 2D animation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Is anyone else very sad to see how Disney has just completely abandoned what made them the envy of children for 70+ years? Just a couple months ago, Disney shut down its 2D studios. Pixar is alright and everything, but it seems like Disney just felt like making classic after classic in the 1990s and early 2000s and then as soon as they bought Pixar, they just gave up for no real reason. Now we see this horrible oversaturation of 3D CGI "animation" and despite the fact that some pretty great movies are made, it just has gotten old. I feel like when Disney did this the same Disney that people grew up with for 70 years died only to become nothing but a shell of its former self, a multimedia powerhouse megacorporation that just happened to own Pixar.

Rii

Awards
Really? That's interesting, I didn't know they shut down their 2D Studio. But honestly, I haven't really noticed. To me, a Disney movie is a Disney movie, regardless of if the animation is 2D or 3D. Now, don't get me wrong, I love their classics from a few decades ago(Mulan being my favorite), I just don't really notice the difference anymore. The world is changing, and Disney's just changing with it.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I miss 2D animated films as well, but times change and disney is just changing with it. 2D has just become outdated.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
It's sad knowing they probably aren't going to go back to it. Their 3D films have been okay from what I've seen lately, but still. I'd love to see even just one more 2D movie from them.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I'm sad to see this as well. But if Paperman (the short in front of Wreck-it Ralph?) is any indication, then 2D animation is still cherished and loved all the same. I hope they do eventually go back to 2D. I think their last one was Winnie the Pooh in 2011?

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Really? That's interesting, I didn't know they shut down their 2D Studio. But honestly, I haven't really noticed. To me, a Disney movie is a Disney movie, regardless of if the animation is 2D or 3D. Now, don't get me wrong, I love their classics from a few decades ago(Mulan being my favorite), I just don't really notice the difference anymore. The world is changing, and Disney's just changing with it.
They did after Winnie the Pooh underperformed, which was the most predictable thing ever.

I agree with you on what defines a Disney movie, but mediums by nature are different and there are good things about2D animation as well as 3D can't be emulated.

Rii

Awards
They did after Winnie the Pooh underperformed, which was the most predictable thing ever.

I agree with you on what defines a Disney movie, but mediums by nature are different and there are good things about2D animation as well as 3D can't be emulated.

Yeah, I saw that coming too, just didn't think it'd be shut down. Wow.

Yeah, I agree there are definitely good things about 2D, but there are also some good things about 3D animation.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Didn't realize they shut down the 2D....Kinda irks me as well I also miss the 2D movies and have always felt they were better looking than any of the 3D ones they've made since. Even of some of the 3D movies were all right storywise.

I feel like when Disney did this the same Disney that people grew up with for 70 years died only to become nothing but a shell of its former self, a multimedia powerhouse megacorporation that just happened to own Pixar.
Couldn't agree more, when I see the disney channels now or the movies and remember how they used to be it just feels like they got no heart in them anymore.

Krookodile553

I miss all of the good 2D classics from the 90s such as The Lion King. Too bad they will never make another ever again. A part of my childhood was murdered basically, when they shut down the 2D stuff.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Personally, I feel (at least a major part of)Disney died when they started overfranchising everything; not when they changed mediums. That's why they largely lost a sense of soul and heart. At least I still enjoy most of their films(and *love* wreck-it ralph and Tangled)but it's not the same, and looking at Disney Channel compared to what it was even when Kim Possible first started.....yeah, not liking it at all anymore. Except maybe Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls and Tron: Uprising.

Ya'll do know a Mickey Mouse movie is in the planning, right? Who knows if it will be good or not, but supposedly that it'll have the main trio Mickey, Donald, and Goofy.

Link: Could Disney Soon Develop a Feature-Length Mickey Mouse Film? | /Film
That's real old news. I think it was cancelled.

*checks date in link*

yeah, that's 2 1/2 years old. Older than the aforementioned Pooh film.

I do believe I heard it was cancelled but can't find a link to prove it. But it's been too long since any news on it to really think it's going anywhere. At about this time two years ago, pixar had already shown renders of the new mike and sulley models for Monsters University, so I think we'd know more about a Mickey Mouse feature had they decided to continue with it.

Last edited:

wolfshadow

Ya i didn't check when it was posted but it would be cool if they were still making it.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Personally, I feel (at least a major part of)Disney died when they started overfranchising everything; not when they changed mediums. That's why they largely lost a sense of soul and heart. At least I still enjoy most of their films(and *love* wreck-it ralph and Tangled)but it's not the same, and looking at Disney Channel compared to what it was even when Kim Possible first started.....yeah, not liking it at all anymore. Except maybe Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls and Tron: Uprising.

Tron: Uprising was one of the best things to hit that channel in years. Wasn't it cancelled as well?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Motorcity was also fantastic (and cancelled :c ) and to me 2012 was something of an advent for Disney TV animated series. The problem they have now is actually committing to it.

Tron: Uprising was one of the best things to hit that channel in years. Wasn't it cancelled as well?

It...died quietly. No official cancellation, but no second season order either. If they do intend of continuing it, I don't see it happening until they get Tron 3 squared out. Tron: Uprising was made to ride out the popularity of Legacy and bridge the wait for Tron 3 but something happened with both Disney Channel's dealing with the show (since they decided to move it to Disney XD despite its amazing viewership ratings) and Disney getting a third film off the ground. :\

(Part of me believes it might partially have to do with Once Upon a Time being Adam Horowitz & Edward Kitsis' priority at the time)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Didnt realize kitsis/Horowitz worked on TU

They were executive producers and did the script for the first four episodes. I was referring more to Tron 3 since they would ideally be the ones to pen it, but since they were working on OUAT they weren't exactly free to do so. There was a lot of trading hand with the script. Too many writers to remember, and Kitsis & Horowitz did end up writing the script before somebody was hired to rewrite the script and AH. It's a mess, but I think it definitely was part of the reason for Tron: Uprising's shifty treatment.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Motorcity was also fantastic (and cancelled :c ) and to me 2012 was something of an advent for Disney TV animated series. The problem they have now is actually committing to it.

It...died quietly. No official cancellation, but no second season order either. If they do intend of continuing it, I don't see it happening until they get Tron 3 squared out. Tron: Uprising was made to ride out the popularity of Legacy and bridge the wait for Tron 3 but something happened with both Disney Channel's dealing with the show (since they decided to move it to Disney XD despite its amazing viewership ratings) and Disney getting a third film off the ground. :\

(Part of me believes it might partially have to do with Once Upon a Time being Adam Horowitz & Edward Kitsis' priority at the time)
Motorcity was fantastic! They didn't even get a whole season of it did they? =[
Seeing how they treated Motorcity and Tron: Uprising I have very little faith in their advent personally. u_u

I see that makes it even worse imo. Dx It's stuck in limbo despite its many viewers.
I wasn't aware they planned a Tron 3.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Motorcity was fantastic! They didn't even get a whole season of it did they? =[

They did, and luckily they made it so it didn't end on a major cliffhanger LIKE TRON: UPRISING DID *rage* because they were worried about not being picked up for a second season. They had started planning, and I believe there was even an unreleased episode (unless that was just People of Motorcity joking like he does...then again he totally revealed Mike's sister so...*shrug*)

Seeing how they treated Motorcity and Tron: Uprising I have very little faith in their advent personally. u_u

Same. Gravity Falls is all that remains from 2012, but I think because it was the cheapest to make and popular it ended up being worth the investment (Uprising was mostly CG which was not cheap, and Motorcity used a mix of both mediums with some really expensive and special programs Titmouse made)

I wasn't aware they planned a Tron 3.

It's been so chaotic that people find it hard to believe it exists. Garrett Hedlund and Bruce Boxleitner confirmed they would be in it it, though, so I guess it is making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back