• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I like the Deck System and I want it to stay strong in future side games

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

cakito123

Awards
I think there are room enough for both gameplay styles to exist, as the older games always suggested and showed us.

It seems obvious, but since KH3 came out I'm kinda bothered by the fact there are a lot of people who would prefer they only stick to the KH1/2/3 playstyle - because it works and it is fun - and while yeah I agree it is, I don't want the deck system to go away anytime soon.
For ease of communication I'll be calling BBS/DDD/Re:Coded gameplay Deck system, and KH1/2/3 gameplay MP System.

Hence why, I'm here to say why I don't want the MP System to take over completely, I actually like the deck system as much as MP System - both are really fun, but they are a lot different and I think the deck system deserve some praise and love lately. Let's differenciate both and make the most conclusions out of their GOOD differences.

- Deck systems allow for a more varied combo with special attacks. You can stack and organize movements and magic attacks the way you want. Having a strong deck near the end game is SO SATISFYING. I remember handling and organizing what Deck Moves would came first and which would come second and third/etc. Combo-ing normal attacks with the deck attacks are really cool when you know your own deck, and it adds a good depth of strategy in the game. This is not something ou can do in the MP System. The only thing that resembles the Deck system in the MP system is the way KH3 handles the Situation Commands, but those are timed and and it depends on what you start the battle doing - you can't just cast Blizzaga+ at your first strike.

- The MP system tend to rely 100% on what magic will you cast, and once you've chosen that you'll probably run out of MP fast enough to not be able to combo that much. That adds a layer of difficulty, since you have to use the same progress bar for all your attacks. However, MP Systems don't use Movement Attacks, only magic. It didn't EVER have physical attacks as a choice for the player. The Deck system allows the player to make a list of moves - not only elemental magic attacks, but actual MOVE ATTACKS - like Sliding Dash, Ars Arcanum, Strike Raid, or a super special attack that can fill up 2 blocks from the player's list, like Meteor Shower or Balloonra (god bless game balancing).

- The Deck system is easier to navigate as a command menu than the MP System. The fact you can just add something on your Deck list makes it easier to do ANYTHING. Wanna put 5 curagas in a tough battle and spam the hell out of it? You can, but remember you won't have much attack commands later. Wanna focus on long-distance strategy using only elemental magic? You can, just remember to not stay close to the enemy. Want to Stack Magnet for attracting enemies, then Meteor Shower'ing them and Ars Arcanum later, one after the other and combo it? You can too.
No need to navigate through your Command menu like in the MP system - you want something, you add to the Deck list. Done it. You also don't have to think that much about how much MP you have left - only worry about each command's individual timed recovery.

- The deck system adds a layer of movement in the game itself - I remember playing DDD's bosses and there are a lot of them that goes away from you for attacking at a distance - however, if you use Sliding dash you can get closer almost immediatly. In the MP system you must require amost entirely on what abilities you have turned on in your Abilities menu.

- BBS's way of creating new attacks merging old ones were a really good choice. That's where the fun really strikes for me in this specific game. I loved merging moves to create new ones. I hope the next Deck system make this too - specially because you could for eg. add Fire to a Sliding Dash and make it elemental: Fire Dash. So good.

- The Deck system is the best option for a multiplayer PvP game. This is a wild one, but I think in the future events of Union X getting a remake, I'm hoping they use the Deck system and that they add a mutiplayer PvP mode where both players have access to the same 10 or so deck attacks - and before the battle, they have like, 1 minute to organize how they want their attacks to be in their decks. The MP System tend to have so many options and abilities that I don't think that'd quite work well on a multiplayer sphere. Because you use your MP bar to do almost everything, players would have too many options, If you press Summon or gets a Situation Command first, you'll probably win. Also, players would have diffrent abilities and shortcuts. It just wouldn't work...

Any thoughs? Do you disagree on any statement I made? Which of both play styles do you prefer as and why?

Last edited:

Cumguardian69

Awards
Command deck is bad in BBS and DDD because commands do not flow with keystrikes. Re:coded does command deck the best

cakito123

Awards
Command deck is bad in BBS and DDD because commands do not flow with keystrikes. Re:coded does command deck the best
Funny how the brain works - Re:Coded is my fav game to play and it uses the deck system, yet
I completely forgot the game existed as I wrote the post, until you mentioned lol

edit: added Re:coded to the main thread

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Honestly I really dislike BBS and DDD command deck it‘s just really awkward to work with.

I know this is slightly off-topic and going to be a very unpopular opinion but I would love to see the card system from Chain of Memories return in a future game as it was so much fun but definitely not in KH4 though. I would like to see it reappear in a game similar to days/ recoded not one thats similar to KH 1/2 or 3

Last edited:

okhi12

Awards
I think the only gameplay system I never want to see again is the panel system from Days. I think 90% of the fanbase would agree that carrying limited spells and items and being able to pick up only a handful of items per mission really sucked.
I'm not particularly fond of the deck system because it's not very well balanced (i.e. Thunder Surge in BBS, Balloon commands in DDD) but it's not that terrible if you choose not to exploit it (same goes for flowmotion) so I'm not against the command deck returning in minor games. The main series must stick to the MP system, though. I actually like the MP system from KH1 without MP charge better than the one in II, 0.2 and III, but I doubt we'll ever see that again.
I guess they'll keep trying new things and I can't wait to see how the gameplay evolves, I just wish they don't make the base games as easy as KH3 was even on proud difficulty.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I really like BbS's deck system, but didn't vibe that well with DDD's which is almost the same thing.

I think there is room for the deck system to improve from the BbS formula, just like the KH1/2/3 system benefited from some fancy tricks BbS introduced (shotlocks, which I always forget to use) and the keyblade transformations are basically command styles.

Maybe in a future installment as an improvement on the deck system, there is more integration with regular keyblade moves. I'm sure they will find a way, just like they evolved from the KH:CoM deck to the BbS deck. The easiest way to do that, imo, would be to make sure the keyblade can be used by itself to complete the whole game for the vanilla players who don't care about the extra stuff. But, also make using the deck system a viable almost stand alone option as well.

The deck limit probably needs to be increased.

okhi12

Awards
Honestly I really dislike BBS and DDD command deck it‘s just really awkward to work with.

I know this is slightly off-topic and going to be a very unpopular opinion but I would love to see the card system from Chain of Memories return in a future game as it was so much fun but definitely not in KH4 though. I would like to see it reappear in a game similar to days/ recoded not one thats similar to KH 1/2 or 3
It actually reappeared but simplified in the Flick Rush minigame in DDD and it was good, but I don't know if I'd like it as the main battle system again, unless it's a 2D game. I liked the original Chain of Memories for the GBA way more than Re:CoM.

the red monster

Awards
I know this is slightly off-topic and going to be a very unpopular opinion but I would love to see the card system from Chain of Memories return in a future game

If they ever bring back some kind of card system (parying to square gods they won't) it should be dark road's one.

Barrett

Awards
I find it interesting that in KH3, the way you cycle through a full stack of Situation Commands and the kind of abilities and moves you activate with them are somewhat reminiscent of the Command Deck already. I kind of wanna see how a future KH game would look like that takes it a step further and somehow incorporates both the Command Menu and Command Deck as parts of one and the same battle system.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
It actually reappeared but simplified in the Flick Rush minigame in DDD and it was good, but I don't know if I'd like it as the main battle system again, unless it's a 2D game. I liked the original Chain of Memories for the GBA way more than Re:CoM.
Although I did like the Flick Rush mini game as it was enjoyable, I wouldn’t want that or Dark Road version of the card system as they would feel too simple for a battle system in my opinion. That’s why if the card system came back I would want it to be Chain of Memories card system as it wouldn’t be simplified like DDD and Dark Road which means it would keep all the stuff about and coming up with your own strategies that fit your play style while trying to figure out the best deck set up to beat the bosses which was one of my favourite things about the game.

Dark Rot

Awards
Not a fan of the deck. (Or stacking situation commands) It just doesn't flow well enough for me, and feels kinda unsatisfying to just chug out a stream of non-sequitur special moves in the same sequence. Part of it may be that I don't particularly like most of the deck moves.
I think there are a lot of better ways to add variety to Sora's repertoire that would make combat feel more intentional and elegant. Keyblades with different movesets, keyblade switching into combos, customizable combos, or just a greater variety of spells to make use of having more slots in the command bar. Maybe doing something new with Triangle and having that be a special kind of attack/action from which flashy input-based combos could be derived by mixing it up with X.

If they wanna do another card game, I think an actual turn-based KH card game like Culdcept would be cool.

Back