• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I like/dislike Final Fantasy ____ , and here's why:

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xelon99

Awards
Re: I like/dislike Final Fantasy ____, and here's why:

I've played 4, 5, 7, 8 and 13 (numbers because I don't feel like going roman now). I enjoyed them. However there are plenty things I'd like to see changed from a personal gamer and artistic point of view. But since that is strictly opinion based I wont mention those things. Don't want to ruin that stuff for others.

The story in the games swings a lot. One game is better than the other. You can clearly notice that in the first games you had a lot more freedom than in the later ones. The gameplay was easier while the enemies usually were harder. The graphics are getting more and more beautiful obviously, specially with the newest technology where they can show off tears even better. Overall, the games are certainly all worth playing. Unless it's the MMO we do not speak of.

Wander

You can clearly notice that in the first games you had a lot more freedom than in the later ones.

This part isn't necessairly true. Though it's understandable since the only recent FF you've played is XIII which was so ridiculously on rails, XII gave you a looot of freedom and XIII-2 sort of improved in that aspect. XI and XIV also are non-linear but they're MMOs so it's expected.

Xelon99

Awards

This part isn't necessairly true. Though it's understandable since the only recent FF you've played is XIII which was so ridiculously on rails, XII gave you a looot of freedom and XIII-2 sort of improved in that aspect. XI and XIV also are non-linear but they're MMOs so it's expected.
It was more meant how FF IV gives you more or less the option to go to almost every city, cave or settlement you can get to before you continue the story. In FF VII and VIII that's barely the case. XIII has the option to go back to some places, which cuts most freedom to begin with. XV does promise to give a bigger free roaming option again. But if it'll have the roaming of the first games is to be seen. I admit that most of the times the freedom is cut off it's because of story-related issues, like in XIII.

Scorseselover

Scorse; FFXI actually can be played on PC as well, which will let you play it easily like the other games. Be warned tho.

1. It's a MMO. It also has monthly fees. That may not make you happy. Far as I know it isn't going F2P any time soon.
2. I find it hard to recommend it right now b/c they've made some radical changes and you can solo the whole thing now other than xping; it used to be all about making parties, and server pops are low enough that it was necessary, but it's not the FFXI I fell in luv with. I got tired of having to whine to friends to get stuff done, so I went to XIV.

Also for NA, the hdd was a optional internal one that didn't get a lot of luv this side of the pond. It only works on a fat PS2.
Awwwww I only have a slim one.

Anagram

Banned
I've taken to trying Final Fantasy games in recent years. Like most KH fans I didn't know what it even was when I first saw them in KH1 waaaayyyy back in 2002 haha.
So far I've tried several but I've only come to like two. Crisis Core and FF 10. I'm currently giving Type-0 a shot and it's panning okay so far.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Scorse: Do you have a pc? Most pcs that have some kinda graphics chip in them can run FFXI, np at all.

Here's a PC I once ran FFXI on. I did lag in some areas however, but that should give you a idea on the stats that can run this game.

It's available electronically from Amazon and Steam (Tho I'd say go for amazon; Steam has been known to cause problems with FFXI that can cause people to suddenly develop a potty mouth). Oh and get a controller, your fingers will thank you. Just be aware, it's a mmo, costs roughly about $20 a month on top of buying the actual game. So be warned.

Also FAIR WARNING: They are basically getting ready to put FFXI out to pasture (aka. bug fixes but not much else) soon as they finish Rhapsodies of Vana'Diel, which they are putting in now. Luckily you don't have to buy anything else to get that. Could mean the game is in its twilight days...sad to say. I still hope they'll put Prishe in KH somewhere so part of it'll survive..since I swear she was the best of the FFXI heroines. Maybe Shantotto if they could think of a classy way to do that (tho she'd proly tick Sora off a while..)...but I'm off the subject lol.

Last edited:

Scorseselover

Scorse: Do you have a pc? Most pcs that have some kinda graphics chip in them can run FFXI, np at all.

Here's a PC I once ran FFXI on. I did lag in some areas however, but that should give you a idea on the stats that can run this game.

It's available electronically from Amazon and Steam (Tho I'd say go for amazon; Steam has been known to cause problems with FFXI that can cause people to suddenly develop a potty mouth). Oh and get a controller, your fingers will thank you. Just be aware, it's a mmo, costs roughly about $20 a month on top of buying the actual game. So be warned.
Then...I'll just keep it as a collector's item

Rexy

Bronze Member
Once I'm on vacation (1 month from now I hope), I'll complete Lightning returns (I lost my save and all my trophies :/) and, for the first time, FFXII international version (I know it's only the gameplay that changed but steel, I'll try it out :p)

Are there some other final fantary that I shoul play? I've complete X, X-2, VII, CCVII, IX (hope I complete it again), XII, and the XIII trilogy

Larxene012

Banned
i've played all of them except for the MMORPGs extensively. FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13

i enjoyed ff1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12.

the ones i truly hate? FF13 series. i used to hate ff8

FEZeldalord12345

I've played every main Final Fantasy game except for the PS2 games, since I do not own the system. I do have the remake of X, but I've yet to touch it due to the other games I have on my plate. Anyway, my favorite in the series is IV. While there are some problems, like some of the deaths being fake-outs, I love it because of the pacing. Due to the dungeons being a satisfactory length and the plethora of dire events, the pacing is perfect. It never stops throwing epic scene after epic scene at you.

In contrast, my least favorite is FFII. I really don't like the weapon/magic level-up system in this game. It feels like there's little balance, and unlike FFI where I do get a kick out of the grinding(probably just because of nostalgia) it's really tedious here. I've played both the original version and the GBA remake, and while the remake felt more accessible and easier to level up, I still found points where I stopped to grind for levels for a while, especially once I got Ultima. The part that killed the game for me is when the final party member joins with extremely low levels. When grinding to get him up to speed, I just stopped playing. To this day, I never finished FFII because it just wasn't fun. The Emperor was a fairly cool villain, I liked the music,(especially the Rebel and Empire themes) but that's it. I don't see myself playing FFII ever again.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The only games I don't care for are the pre-IV games because the characters/story are very basic and XIII because the battle system makes it unbearable for me. I've never played XI and XIV, and never plan to. My favorite is IX because it has a bit more light-heartedness to match the darker moments, but I like the others equally.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I started with Final Fantasy VII when I was even too young to read. That was probably why I never got past CD1 back then, because I just didn't understand that I had to switch to CD2.. xD
I really like Final Fantasy VII although it's not my favorite game of the series. The materia system is fun and stuff like minigames (especially the Gold Saucer <3) really made it a good game imo.
The second Final Fantasy I played was FF X, shortly after it released. I remember being a little sad it didn't have a german synchronization, but in the end, it was one of the first games I learned English from. X is still one of my favorites because I love the Sphere Grid, the battle system and even the story (although Tidus DOES act somewhat stupid, I can't blame him..he just doesn't know all that stuff).
FF X-2 wasn't exactly needed, but it has my favorite gameplay of all Final Fantasy games. The costumes as well as the battle system are awesome. :3

Then, when FF XII released, there was soo much hate about it. The gameplay, the story, the characters, but to be honest, I LOVE Final Fantasy XII. The mob hunting was awesome, I love the setting and even though the characters really are a little...undeveloped, I still liked most of them. :3

After that, I played older games like VI, VIII and IX, which I also really, really like, even though VIII gets a little to easy and most of the characters are reeeally boring. xD
I also liked XIII and Lightning Returns, but found XIII-2 to be kind of boring...I don't really like time travel :x

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
It's hard for me to dislike something that I'm a fan of. XI and XIV because they are the only ones and whichever next online numerical title will be due to the fact its only online and you have to pay and I won't be able to play them.

Precursor Mar

I'm was never really interested in the FF series. The only ones I've played are:

FFIII
FFXIII
FFXIV
Crystal Bearers
Dissidia
Dissidia 012

I liked all of them except for XIII, XIII was absolute freaking garbage. I had to force myself to try to complete it until I hit a part near the end of the game where the enemies were too strong and I couldn't be bothered to grind, so I gave up. I'm surprised I didn't kill myself or die of boredom over trying to finish it.

Andronikos

i played I(psp)(left the game in the last part), litle bit of II, III(psp,psvita) (finished it),IV,VII (completed)(ps1, first ff game i played),VIII (finished, now i find it boring), IX (to me this is the best in the number series has almost everithing that make a good final fantasy game, exept the job change but hey nothing is perfect), Final fantasy tactics (2nd favorite storywise is awsome has a really good cast of characters and the main chara is my favorite protagonist of the FF series, completed the hell out of it in the ps1 and also the psp version kinda sad they removed the dup glitch, bye bye infinite excaliburs TToTT ).the rest are kinda meh x finished,x-2 (10 min in and turned it off and played something else, not becose it was bad becose it was way too different to me),XII (the return to ivalice so yeah i didn't find it strange, but that the summons where the main enemies of tactics i found kinda weird), XIII serie (f*** those games, and before you say anything i finished those effing games doind the side quests as well) XV demo ( played it and ejoyed what they did so far)

Reanbell

Website
twitter.com
I think my biggest beef is with the XIII trilogy. I guess the story and didn't really grab at me, and I wasn't a fan of the way they handled the battle system, nor did I like the designs. About the only thing I did like were the characters - however, I really didn't care much for Lightning even as the game progressed.

I kind of want to include FFVIII because there is a lot I don't like about it (the love story the took over the actual cool plot-lines, the secondary characters shoved into the background behind Squall and Rinoa, the junction and draw system), but there's also a lot I *do* like about it. So it's kind of love-hate on that front.

magic713

Awards
I started originally with XII, but really I couldn't get into the story. Now in the present, I can see where people could find something appealing about it (being more of a political storyline than personal), but I still don't find the story that interesting, enjoying the side quests than the main story. I need at least good story with characters I like to hold my interest.

A few years later, I bought a trio pack of VII, VIII, and IX. I did and still do enjoy IX. Of all of them, I've replayed IX most often with a good story, nice gameplay, and a setting ideal of a title called Final Fantasy. I really liked the ATE, adding a more cinematic feel to it.

VII was a decent game. I could get back to playing it in the future, but I do think it can be overrated (I just don't see why it needs all the sequels, prequels, movies, and tie-ins). As for VIII, I think it was okay, but the gameplay was a struggle to get use to. I nearly gave up on it in more than one occasion. And the storyline can sometimes get a little confusing to follow.

Earlier this year, I purchased IV, V, and VI. IV was a nice game. Very smooth story and gameplay with neat characters to keep me interested in it. VI is just fun in general. I like the backstory of most of the characters and the struggles the heroes go through and what they needed to fight on even after the big event leading to the final act of the game. As for V, I just got started on it, but I'm not impressed by it yet. I might need to play a little longer.

Scorseselover

I dislike Final Fantasy 12. The story and characters are so bland. The main protagonist is basically a watered-down Aladdin. I hate games that use auto-attack mechanics, and immediately when I encountered Yzamat I was like "Okay I'm done".

Pokie

I don't really hate or dislike any of the mainline Final Fantasy games, though I did find Type 0 to be rather tedious and depressing just for the sake of being depressing.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Summoning in Type 0 bothered me. It killed the character that summoned it, if I recall.
Also if I recall, all the characters died quickly in combat, like throwing lemmings off a pit. It felt like "Why do I care?".

Back