• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I hate to say it, but Resident Evil may be as good as over...

• Thread starter Deleted member 32967
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 32967

This is just my opinions on the state of the Resident Evil games. I find these days that forums in general are like a mixed bag, and this is a Square Enix related website, so I reckon certain users on here probably won't be big survival horror games fanatics and will probably like mostly RPG or fantasy stuff, which is fine, of course. However, I digress. I'm not really keen on signing up to any more message boards, because I've already joined many before and most of them are dying now. Even actual horror game forums are so dull now. They're all practically dead now. Nobody hardly ever posts. Even when we get a lot of news, no-one seems to bother logging in to post anything.

But anyway...

I think for a number of years that Capcom has been copying and pasting ideas from other games and movies for an easy profit. This is annoying. For example, Revelations 2 is a blatant copy of The Last of Us. The item management mode is almost precise and the winter section is a repeat of the latter game. The series kind of died in 2005 and was resurrected as an action shooter series, but they added in new creatures that just look dumb. Lots of people like that change, but to me, 4, 5 and 6 are just gimmicky action games all sugar coated to appear like a "horror" game, when in reality, they sold out for to lift ideas from other popular trends that they can easily pass off as their own and take all the credit for doing so. Plus, all the spin off titles and whatnot are the exact same. They just bank off the popularity of the old-school characters or plot aspects. The new stories that they introduce now just abruptly end and we never see any proper conclusion. When the next game or tie-in media comes around, it's just a set up for something else that also goes nowhere. At least with the old games, they were always about people suffering due to the harsh effects of the Umbrella Corporation. So the games up to a certain sequel were basically about the heroes trying to finish Umbrella. We never got to see that unfold, until we got that crappy shooter game called The Umbrella Chronicles, which was the real Resident Evil 4 in my eyes, but a pretty bad one at that.

Now with this whole RE Engine thing they brought in with 7: Biohazard, Chris looks so stupid. He sounds nothing like Chris any longer. He certainly looks nothing like Chris either. Why would Chris side with the new, good, blue Umbrella? That is some stupid writing on their part. To me, the guy in this game just looks like a generic, tough guy. That's it. The whole game in general was vastly unrelated to the others, so Chris being in the extra content to me was just a bizarre way to link the story to the rest of the entries in the franchise for yet another quick dollar. "Shemp Redfield" just needs to die along with the whole series. They are so desperate now, that they had to copy The Texas Chain Saw Massacre movies. Like, holy crap. Why bother?

And yes, the remake of 2 that is out next year, while rather cool looking, is also in my eyes, just a money grab attempt. They know that if they remake a popular title, it will get people excited. It's that enabling attitude from fanboys and girls that allows Capcom to be lazy and take the easier route. Also, I just read some stuff they were spewing about how they don't care about big sales. You see? That to me indicates that Capcom is lying to their audience yet again. They've made false promises so many times and all of their products are a scam anyway. They never give people a full game. It's all about downloadable content where you have to buy a pass to unlock all the nonsense that they throw in a game now. I'm not saying that it's a wrong thing to do if you want to support a company in this manner, but I honestly think that they cannot come up with proper sequels that will do well, nor can they introduce new characters that will lead us into the next generation, because they know that they would have to adapt to so many changes and I just don't think they have the balls to do any of this at this point in time. They've tried (and failed) so constantly with garbage sequel after trashy sequel, and they know it too. Why do you think they are resorting to developing remakes of the classic titles from yesteryear? They just know that people will fall for it each and every single time they reach into their bag of tricks. Capcom better be careful that they don't end up like Konami did. Because Silent Hill is another beloved series, that Konami effectively have killed. Team Silent should never have been disbanded.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Can't say I agree. To me it seems like you're just stuck in the past. Just accept that you clearly don't like change and move on. Seriously, if you believe a turd like RE0 is somehow a better game than RE4 or RE7 there's nothing Capcom can do with this series that will ever appeal to you again. Not sure why it took you this long to realise that.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will be looking forward to the Resident Evil 2 remake which is looking like it could surpass the original just like the remake of the first game did. Regular zombies have never looked scarier or been more threatening. And there aren't any more of them than in the original. The RPD is a lot scarier now too. The writing is also ages better so far. It looks like it'll be pure survival horror, and contrary to minority belief fixed camera angles and tank controls most certainly aren't genre requirements. Over the shoulder camera doesn't make it an action game. To call it a cashgrab when they started the development for several years is just disrespectful.

D

Deleted member 32967

I never said the game isn't impressive, but remakes don't really mean a great deal. A re-imagining is different than a remake. Also, they could have spent all this money and energy on a true sequel that, yes, actually had zombies and another outbreak. But when they attempted that with 6 around 6 years ago, the game was a failure because 6 wasn't a horror game at heart.

And nowhere in my post do I defend 0 at all. 0 is a boring game, in my eyes. It's not the worst game in the series, but a lot of that game drags after the train derailment portion. 4, 5 and 6 and even the "Revelations" games are mostly stand alone games that have too much action, and nothing is scary. I've actually found myself liking Naughty Dog more than Capcom as of late.

Allow me to explain: The Last of Us has horror stuff in it, but mostly, it has a backbone. With its story, you are able to care about characters like Ellie and Joel, and a lot of the other characters in that game. Resident Evil started out like that all those years ago, but Capcom has gradually run it into the dirt with poor business tactics, just for a quick dollar.

With games like Resident Evil 2 and all that, up to Code: Veronica, you were terrified and intrigued at the same time because the story and scares come fast and furious. Now with games like 4 and all that, the story is a joke, because it's all just stuff they insert that makes no sense, and the emphasis is on shooting everything, and there's gimmicky stuff too.

And Konami as a company is dead, because Silent Hill used to be one of their biggest franchises. The same with Metal Gear Solid. I'm not able to speak for M.G.S. fans as such, but they ruined these games, to the point where a real sequel (or reboot) was canned, and as a result, all they could give us Silent Hill-wise, was a slot machine!

There's too many loose-ends scattered throughout the series, so I don't know why Capcom wants to continue to do remakes and cash grab tie-in media that really, in the grand scheme of things, won't enhance the future. And to me, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard only got to 5 million sales due to the fact they lowered its price. It's a stand alone game and not interesting.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
RE4 and Revelations 2 are legit survival horror experiences. Especially the latter. Revelations 2 doesn't have "too much action". You're encouraged to be conservative with the healing items, ammo and pick your battles. If you're playing on harder difficulties, at least.

RE7, even though I dislike the change of perspective, is a solid game and easily the scariest RE has ever been - especially in VR. It's actually closer to hitting 6 million in sales, which is a lot considering it's only been out for a year and a half. It's already met all of Capcom's internal expectations, and continues to be profitable for them.

RE0 was a clear signal that Capcom had run out of ideas and that a soft reboot had to happen to save the franchise. Same thing goes for RE7 after the disaster that was RE6. You won't see me defending the latter, and I do agree that RE5 is more of a co-op action game with RE characters, albeit a good one.

But different strokes for different folks. There are plenty of people who love RE4, RE5 and the Revelations games just like there are a lot of people who think RE7 is great. Again, if the series no longer appeal to you that's fine. But to pretend like RE has gone down the same path as SH, where the majority of fans basically stopped caring after SH3 is just not true.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I think for a number of years that Capcom has been copying and pasting ideas from other games and movies for an easy profit.

So many video game companies already do this. I'm not sure why you're singling out Capcom. Metroid takes major inspiration from Alien. Metal Gear Solid 3 takes inspiration from James Bond. And as you said Resident Evil takes inspiration from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's been known for years that developers use inspiration from movies and use those ideas in their work.

And as for "coping and pasting ideas from other games" are you saying Capcom is ALONE responsible for this? Look at how many Legend of Zelda clones exist in the marketplace. Look at how many shitty mobile games rip off original ideas. Look at how many wannabe SRPG games with a lifeless cast try to outshine all that is gold and glory of the Fire Emblem series.

Everyone is guilty. There IS NO ONE company that is just that purely original who keeps printing godly ideas. I can't name a single company.

For example, Revelations 2 is a blatant copy of The Last of Us. The item management mode is almost precise and the winter section is a repeat of the latter game. The series kind of died in 2005 and was resurrected as an action shooter series, but they added in new creatures that just look dumb.

Other than the HEAVY criticism on the tank-like controls, Revelations is a story-arc. Is it more action orientated? Yes. But the games did have some scare factors. Hell, I jumped at some parts.

And yes, the remake of 2 that is out next year, while rather cool looking, is also in my eyes, just a money grab attempt. They know that if they remake a popular title, it will get people excited. It's that enabling attitude from fanboys and girls that allows Capcom to be lazy and take the easier route. Also, I just read some stuff they were spewing about how they don't care about big sales. You see?

I don't see. I can't tell you many many message boards where I've read comments with high interest in a Resident Evil 2 remake. Blame fan demand if anything. Hey, at least Capcom listens to fan feedback. And how does Capcom not care about sales?!?

Resident Evil: 5.3 million
Resident Evil: 2: 6.1 million
Resident Evil 3: 3.5 million
Resident Evil 0: 3.1 million
Resident Evil 4: 8.2 million
Resident Evil 5: 11.9 million
Resident Evil 6: 10 million
Resident Evil 7: 5.1 million

yo WHAT?!?! Look at those total sales numbers. This horror series, a NICHE genre by the way, is pushing millions. Who the fuck is on that level?! WHO?!

Where you at Dead Space? Where you at Amnesia? Where you at Condemned? Everything else doesn't even shale in comparison.

That to me indicates that Capcom is lying to their audience yet again. They've made false promises so many times and all of their products are a scam anyway. They never give people a full game. It's all about downloadable content where you have to buy a pass to unlock all the nonsense that they throw in a game now.

yo WHAT?!?! My dude go play Monster Hunter, developed and published by Capcom. It's a complete full game with new updates to include new content on a monthly and sometimes weekly basis. Every single update has been free.

Monster Hunter is the big daddy, the omega, the alpha, the beginning to the end to every ARPG game out now. The only reason why other ARPGs still exist is because Capcom is sure to hold this beast back with a 1000 locks and chains. Capcom has been hard at work on this series over the years to ensure that Monster Hunter is on top of the mountain named "TOO FUCKING GOOD."

Capcom better be careful that they don't end up like Konami did.

yo WHAT?!?!? Resident Evil isn't even Capcom's top game. It's fucking Monster Hunter (and is breaking records with 8.3 million sales from one game in its series.) Konami destroyed its reputation because it treated a well-reserved, fan-loved, game designer and story genius like SHIT and when the public found out that its highly loved tactical espionage action series was coming to and end (releasing a half-baked fifth installment of a highly anticipated series) everyone lashed out against Konami with the quickest trending video game hashtag I've ever seen:

#fuckkonami

Not to mention the backlash Konami received at the VGA Awards when Geoff Keighley announced how Hideo Kojima couldn't even receive his award due to his NDA agreement or, even worse when Konami decided to continue the Metal Gear Solid series after Kojima's departure with Metal Gear Survive, which you can now find on Amazon for $12, which has only been released for 6 months.

I don't except to this with Capcom. They keep on expanding its already great series titles: Megaman 11, DMC5, Monster Hunter World, Resident Evil 7 and more.

Back to the title...

Resident Evil is far from over. With 7 being the latest installment; writers, fans, and critics reserved it as one of more scarier titles. Horror is a niche genre that doesn't have many titles compared to, say RPGs. It's the most successful horror series in the genre with loads of fan service: movies, merchandise, side games. They will keep reinventing the series, looking for fan feedback for adjustments and will adapt to survive.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Get off that high horse. You're not a victim. Nor are you the arbiter of what it means to be a "real fan" of anything, and disagreeing with your point of view does not make one a "fanboy". Seems to me you've got an issue with people not thinking you're spreading the gospel, and now you've returned to your safe space somewhere else to complain to the echo chamber that people were mean to you elsewhere because they dared to not share your opinion and even pushed back on it.

D

Deleted member 32967

The term above can also alternate as "moron" or something to that effect. I'm not sure why you think I'm mocking the gay community in a heated debate about a video game. And I stand by much of what I said about Resident Evil. Suck-ups enable Capcom to screw up the franchise more and more, by being very lenient and a tad bit too obsessive. They just do remakes, because it's a surefire way to make money.

D

Deleted member 32967

Sorry for double posting, but look, man: There is no shred of an atmospheric style horror experience in games such as Resident Evil 4 and many of the recent sequels at all. Why is that? All you actually do is just run around some rural part of Europe, shooting everything with a heartbeat. How is that 'survival horror' at its best? The game did not even have anything to do with the main protagonists engaging in a conflict with the Umbrella Corporation. That had already been written out of the plot and what plot we actually got, was pitiful. They rendered all of the heartache the characters had gone through up to that stage, as now being irrelevant.

It is certainly not another terrifying entry in the slightest and quite frankly, the game is repetitive and totally boring, and it has too much gimmicky stuff thrown in as well. The mysterious merchant is so stupid too, by the way. How can he just pop up in random places that are otherwise impossible to reach by foot? For example, a lot of the elevators and caves were blown up as you progressed, so how can this guy even be miles ahead of you all of the time? Sorry, but that is just dumb. All of this garbage they threw in these games only served to cause the franchise to abandon its roots. They can dress a game up to look like a horror game all they want, but they are not passionate about creating a scary horror game any longer, so they just chose to make an action game back in those days and season it in a way to where it may seem like a horror game to certain people, but all it set out to do is leave a sour taste in my mouth. They can call it Resident Evil and slap a number on the cover to pass it off as another sequel, but do you want to know something? That changes nothing!

Horror alone is not a big seller and they know that action is a way more popular category. The remake of the original that they released in 2002 was a critical success, but it was just not the commercial success they were looking for. So this is why they decided to copy whatever trends were already popular from 2005 up to now and one of the major franchises that they knew people had a lot of enthusiasm for is the Call of Duty series. Resident Evil was never about copying action games. This is why a lot of the appropriately titled "true fans" believe that the company sold out for to gain an easy profit.

Like I said, I really do try to respect people's opinions, sir, but it just seems to me that video game communities on the Internet suck now and everybody always sounds so vitriolic, self-centered and uptight. Because I really do think many members of forums have become so blinded by nostalgia, that they just become a part of the lore like a sheep and it is sad to see this unfold. By being like that, they simply enable companies to become even bigger money grabbers than they already are coming across as.

By the way, how the hell can anybody such as yourself, claim that Resident Evil is not the biggest franchise that Capcom has put out? If you combined all the sales of all of the main games especially, along with all the pathetic side story games and all the other garbage tie-in media that they put out there, the franchise is indeed their best selling cash cow at this point, but for all the wrong reasons in my eyes.

Perkilator

Awards
In the words of Launchpad: Born too late to discover the world, born too early to discover the cosmos...

Born just in time to witness a heated video game debate on a Kingdom Hearts forum.

D

Deleted member 32967

I know, dude. Nice, civilized chats on forums seemingly don't exist any more online. Huh?

P.S. I see the guy has ducked my debate. But oh well. You just cannot please everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back