• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I Hate to be That Guy, But...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEASTENDER

Okay, as I stated in the title, I don't want to be that guy, but I honestly want to know if I'm alone.

First, when they finally stopped trolling us and showed us Kingdom Hearts 3, I was very excited. I didn't care much for the stream after that (No TWEWY2, Sleeping Dogs 2, Chrono Trigger anything, etc) and was constantly refreshing youtube, waiting for someone to post the trailer. I of course (with my terrible internet) downloaded it and analyzed it. What I saw was...honestly mostly disappointing in retrospect.

Now, I'm one of the few who kept my hype alive ever since 2013, and that may have been why the majority of this trailer was...underwhelming for me. The graphics? If I'm being completely honest, a great portion of it looks worse than the D23 footage, and even the FMV announcement footage. I realize this was probably because of the world (in part - kingdom shader at work) but for the style they're going for, I have personally seen the PS4 do much better. I'm not too concerned about this though as it is still in development (Still, in an interview they said they were going to make it look much better than the D23 trailer, and it honestly looks a little worse in a lot of parts).

I don't really like Sora's new design at all, but it may just be because I'm so use to his old one. But since they're both so similar, I think I'd just prefer to have the old one (Maybe as DLC or something).

But now we get to my main concern; combat and gameplay. Others have noted the lack of fluidity in a lot of Sora's movements, but I'm so worried it's, out with old and in with the new, as opposed to here's the old tried and true, along with a lot of new. If command decks really are gone, the magic will likely be very limited again if it's going to be practical (That also includes the many commands that weren't magic). All other wielders may have Command Styles, but Nomura may go the, Sora can transform his keyblade so he doesn't need them route; which I personally feel isn't right as TAV can all transform their keyblade as well. And the dual wielding mechanic may not come back either (not drive forms, dual wielding). I remember Nomura was asked, "How will you take away Sora and Riku's powers at the beginning of KH3?" He completely glossed over it, but I really do want to hear his explanation for Sora not being able to do so anymore. It would hurt if he still technically can (Which he should be able to do until it Ven's heart reunites with his body) but just doesn't anymore. The same goes with all the magic he's learned, along with summoning Disney characters. And I can already just about confirm that there wouldn't be any explanation as to why Sora just can't do these things anymore.

I also hope they don't create too many obstacles specifically for free running like mechanics, which I saw some of in the trailer. If they're going with the whole open world thing, things like that being optional are a huge part of that.

Then there's attraction flow...from the moment I saw it I was scared that it had replaced Disney Summons, as Nomura had stated months earlier that summoning would be "different" in KH3. I was later reassured after it got an official name, and the statement that it was an evolution of flowmotion. Well...in this trailer it sure looks like he's summoning them like he would a Disney Character, and one even seemed to be (If that was supposed to be Pegasus). There was also an interview with Tai Yasue and he mentioned that it was important that the Osaka team remake 2 and notice the details that go into something like summoning. After watching this trailer, I'm not so convinced that they haven't been replaced by attraction flow...

Nothing is confirmed, but after really sitting down and looking at it, I'm disappointed (but still excited!). I still fully trust in Nomura and his team, and the trailer definitely had good points and brief showcases of spectacular action and gameplay elements; and those points are worthy of praise.

Echoecho6

Awards
I agree alot with this, I was a bit disappointed and worried for a lot of the changes.... I am a KH2 guy and thought the gameplay, style, designs, graphics, everything was perfect about it, and I really wanted it to stay along those lines, but with so much stuff changing I have doubts.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
Actually I think that Pegasus-drawn chariot was a keyblade transformation...

In any case, the cynicism has been absolutely ripe all over the internet. And not just for this trailer. So don't think for a second you're the only one being "that guy". I think I know why they're taking forever to announce Half-Life 3 now. They know that no matter what they show, it's going to be met with scorn and harsh criticism.

BEASTENDER

Some of the summoning reminded me of rides from Disney World and Disney Land, to be honest.

They definitely are based of of rides from Disney World/Land, and that's why I want the feature to remain separate from traditional summoning. I like the idea, I just don't want it to replace the classic summoning too, which has been gone since KH2.

Actually I think that Pegasus-drawn chariot was a keyblade transformation...

In any case, the cynicism has been absolutely ripe all over the internet. And not just for this trailer. So don't think for a second you're the only one being "that guy". I think I know why they're taking forever to announce Half-Life 3 now. They know that no matter what they show, it's going to be met with scorn and harsh criticism.

Well, in the case of XV for example, I think some criticism is a good thing, as it helped the game evolve. I said I don't want to be "that guy", because I don't want it to sound like I'm just complaining because things didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. It's still great but I do think it needs a lot more work and polish before release date. And that's going to happen anyway :D Oh and, they already said why they won't make half life 3. It's not on the fans at all lol.

Precursor Mar

It was still pretty early footage, I'm not surprised at the lack of polish. Even the in D23 trailer you could see they reused attacks and animations from KH2. KH3 probably won't come out until 2017 so they have plenty of time to clean things up.

Still, I love the KH2 vibe the trailer was giving off. I'm excited to see more.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
It was still pretty early footage, I'm not surprised at the lack of polish. Even the in D23 trailer you could see they reused attacks and animations from KH2. KH3 probably won't come out until 2017 so they have plenty of time to clean things up.

Still, I love the KH2 vibe the trailer was giving off. I'm excited to see more.

I wonder which one is more important gameplay or story. It's too early for it to say for what direction KH3 would go through, hopefully it has good storyline and excellent graphics.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah I mean the fact that Donald and Goofy barely moved during most of the gameplay implies that its still pretty rough...so that's why I'm not convinced that the graphics are even kind of finished yet. I'm not even sure the Kingdom Shader has actually been applied yet?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I concur with the notions that the art style looks weird, but it's something we can get used to. And yes, they have a lot of polishing to do. Sora's movements, specially the running animations, looked very clunky and not very smooth.

Anagram

Banned
I'm completely fine with the notion of no more commands should it happen. It was cool in BBS but something I'm grossly tired of. It's not even that expansive a system. It gives you a lot more spells to use yeah but that's all it really does. There were a few commands with strategic merit depending on boss in BBS but not enough for me to care if the system is gone. I'd honestly rather have something new to use instead of the same old system we've had for several years now.
(any command style defenders minds well hold your breath because no rant will alter my opinion and I dont care enough to argue mine to yours)

I didn't like flowmotion so I doubt I'll be much fonder of it's successor and compared to the KH2 outfit with it's mess of straps and zippers I find the new outfit better.

This video of course is still rather early in the games development as well so I'm not sure what good all this will do. The things many are finding issue with now could very well not be there later. To early to be ranting for me.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
The art style is sort of weird but I believe it looks beautiful and equal to D23, which was designed on a PC. The combat didn't look very fast but this is still early and could be near the beginning of the game (the HUD is a still image plastered over gameplay for Mickey's sake), sora's design is a tad odd, it looks like a cross between his KH2 and DDD attire.

And they could chalk it up to his heart being fugged up thanks to xehanort, or take the AC brotherhood route and have him start off locked and loaded before an incident happens during the tutorial. Back to the new graphical style, it reminds me heavily of spectrobes: origins, particularly the flashback scenes, and I love how MX's keyblade on the wall confirms their master did have it first like I believe.

I am with you on the hype, was loving it during 2013 but became disinterested until today, I was honestly more excited about a DDD remix which I guess we won't see until TGS but I'm not worried about KH3 whatsoever, this is only the third gameplay clip, first story clip and first world reveal.

BEASTENDER

I'm completely fine with the notion of no more commands should it happen. It was cool in BBS but something I'm grossly tired of. It's not even that expansive a system. It gives you a lot more spells to use yeah but that's all it really does. There were a few commands with strategic merit depending on boss in BBS but not enough for me to care if the system is gone. I'd honestly rather have something new to use instead of the same old system we've had for several years now.
(any command style defenders minds well hold your breath because no rant will alter my opinion and I dont care enough to argue mine to yours)

I didn't like flowmotion so I doubt I'll be much fonder of it's successor and compared to the KH2 outfit with it's mess of straps and zippers I find the new outfit better.

This video of course is still rather early in the games development as well so I'm not sure what good all this will do. The things many are finding issue with now could very well not be there later. To early to be ranting for me.

I definitely didn't want this to come across as a rant. It's much too early, and at the end of the day, no matter how much anyone likes or enjoys the series, it's just a game. And about the command deck, I didn't want a carbon copy or anything, I just want a wide variety of attacks. You can't feasibly cycle through a huge list, which means you only get a few. If they can achieve this outside of a command deck like system, I'm more than fine with it. Keyblade Transformation, Attraction Flow, Limits, and Flow Motion aren't nearly as appealing to me if you get rid of everything else. Limits are the only thing that appeared in console games in that list. Keybades also come with unique combo sets now (which is mostly positive), so the transformation for a keyblade could be cool, but the combos may be slow or gimmicky. And instead of having a wide array of transformations, you only have access to one at a time, as opposed to having a set amount of different commands and abilities to use.

I want all of the new things, but not at the expense of so much of the old. Looking at the Spotlight event, I think summoning may be safe. But I don't like pretending Sora doesn't have abilities we know he has and should have as a wielder. Like Dual wielding (Not Drive Forms), A wide array of magic, Summoning, and the Command Style ability (optional, not forced) that every other wielder has, just like Keyblade Transformation (which is no way exclusive to Sora). Kingdom Hearts 3 will still be enjoyable regardless of what path they chose. They did however say they wanted it to be closer to Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 as a console title (combat wise), and I just want them to hold true to that.

It should also be noted that KH2 is my favorite KH game because of the combat, and I never use magic in that game lol As long as combat is satisfying, I'm okay. I just didn't see a lot of that today as a lot of it seemed circumstantial, and as a replacement for older mechanics instead of being additional.

Anagram

Banned
I definitely didn't want this to come across as a rant. It's much too early, and at the end of the day, no matter how much anyone likes or enjoys the series, it's just a game.
And I didn't mean to say yours was a rant. I'm more referring to other things or replies I'm seeing around sites.

And about the command deck, I didn't want a carbon copy or anything, I just want a wide variety of attacks. You can't feasibly cycle through a huge list, which means you only get a few. If they can achieve this outside of a command deck like system, I'm more than fine with it. Keyblade Transformation, Attraction Flow, Limits, and Flow Motion aren't nearly as appealing to me if you get rid of everything else. Limits are the only thing that appeared in console games in that list. Keybades also come with unique combo sets now (which is mostly positive), so the transformation for a keyblade could be cool, but the combos may be slow or gimmicky. And instead of having a wide array of transformations, you only have access to one at a time, as opposed to having a set amount of different commands and abilities to use.
I dont care how it is so long as it's not commands again. Playing KH1 (1.5) & KH2 (2.5) made me realize just how much more enjoyable I found their older outdated systems. (as some call them)
To me the command board is just trading spamming X for spamming triangle. I also find a wide variety of attack pointless when one attack does no different than the last.

Keyblades having unique combos and leveling was one of the best things KH did during Days and Coded that should really be in every game since. Hopefully that does return. It gives your preference and a way to level your preferred keyblade for continual use.
All I want is the transformations to be optional. I dont want to be playing and have them just activate on their own like those cursed command styles.

I want all of the new things, but not at the expense of so much of the old. Looking at the Spotlight event, I think summoning may be safe. But I don't like pretending Sora doesn't have abilities we know he has and should have as a wielder. Like Dual wielding (Not Drive Forms), A wide array of magic, Summoning, and the Command Style ability (optional, not forced) that every other wielder has, just like Keyblade Transformation (which is no way exclusive to Sora). Kingdom Hearts 3 will still be enjoyable regardless of what path they chose. They did however say they wanted it to be closer to Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 as a console title (combat wise), and I just want them to hold true to that.

It should also be noted that KH2 is my favorite KH game because of the combat, and I never use magic in that game lol As long as combat is satisfying, I'm okay. I just didn't see a lot of that today as a lot of it seemed circumstantial, and as a replacement for older mechanics instead of being additional.

The thing about abilities is that Sora is always given canon reasons for skill resets each game. He may know how to summon but that doesn't mean he still has all the summons he had previously. He may have knew certain spells or versions of the same spell but they either change because story reasons or gameplay reasons.
Transformation and dual wielding dials into preference. Terra favored the transformation but sucked at magic while Aqua was only ever shown using the glider transformation in favor of magic. Xehanort of course uses a variety of all those skills.

So what Sora uses or dont isn't so much ignoring but staying to his character. Plus as I've come to understand duel wielding is only thanks to Ven so once Ven is free he shouldn't have it anymore. So they likely think giving Sora dual wielding again would be pointless since he wont have it later due to plot.
OR they could loophole that and just have Sora dual wield by turning one of his keyblades into a dual blades of some sort.

In short I dont find it as not using abilities at an expense. But since I'd rather have new than old and because of both story reasons, along with implementing new systems, I can understand him not having or using every ability he's used later.
I'm not arguing the case with you though. I can definitely understand your plait. I just dont mind it is all. :smile:

Them saying it's closer to KH1 and 2 is why I dont want anything like commands back. I want back the systems I find most enjoyable but with improvements they've thought up by experimenting with their other combat system ideas.

I used reflect and cure in KH2 myself but that's all lol. I did play with magic in KH1 though since they added little things to discover like tech points for using blizzard on fire heartless or how gravity brings bigger heartless to near death.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Although I was happy to see it, I wasn't all that impressed with the trailer, either. I'm not even certain I know why; I've never sat through a trailer for a KH game and felt nothing at all, but this one was close. Perhaps I'm just worn out on the hype culture surrounding these events, I dunno.

If I was to get a little more specific:
The conversation between Xehanort and Eraqus was booooring (didn't tell us anything new, didn't provide insight into the characters, didn't follow the tone of the trailer, just agh I can't with Nomura's writing atm). And they were playing some variation of chess. It was like the biggest clucking cliche. I hope that scene isn't in the actual game.

I agree that the graphics are underwhelming. And I know they're not finished yet, but I guess this new gen experience of eternal development times has taken its toll. I'm a little over the "in development" trailers. I'd personally rather they just wait until they have something polished and mostly complete to showcase, and stick to screenshots and tidbits in gaming magazines until then.

Attraction Flow looks...flashy? I don't really care about it one way or the other. I have a feeling I'll never use it, which would be fine except they're really pushing it in these trailers.

Personally, I'm just no longer invested in the Xehanort master plot lol. It's been so dragged out and it's inevitably just going to be another variation on "get Kingdom Hearts" so all these cryptic scenes about his history or motivations really do nothing for me. I care about the protagonists who have been introduced throughout the various games and maybe I'll start paying more attention when Nomura sees fit to drop info on their situations.

@ Incognito: I completely agree about the command deck needing to go. It was fine for the portable titles, but playing BBS on a home console has convinced me of just how little it benefits the game play.

Last edited:

Neo_

Awards
I think they should've showed more actual cutscenes or closeups. That split second when it was Sora walking toward that castle with Goofy behind was hype. To show an actual character from Tangled, instead of trailer flooded with Disneyland ride summons (largely most we had seen previously), flashing lights and fast-paced combos, would've been hype. I mean, that's a big part of what Kingdom Hearts is about, but an even bigger part is the beautiful story of friendship and all the clichés, though it may be hard to understand (most of the time). It says something about the franchise when people were pouring tears during the E3 2013 reveal. That doesn't happen often in gaming.

I think the trailer was awesome, just the disappointment was so little new information with just another tag of 'Now in Development'. They should've done 'Still in Development', and then next year it could've been 'You May Be Able to Play This Game in Your Lifetime'. I'm still salt that KHIII should've come out like 5 years ago if they hadn't focused on a million spinoffs. Just give me KH 1, 2, 3 and maybe two spinoffs max. And now we're just left sitting here thinking 'how much longer till we get more info?'.

Really, the highlight was just how gorgeous the Tangled world is, and Sora jumping off of that cliff.

I think a disappointment was the unfamiliarity maybe some people have with Tangled. Kingdom Hearts core has always been the classic, beloved Disney characters. I'm sitting here thinking 'Tangled, what's that?'. Imagine if that was the Robin Hood world and they actually showed Robin Hood; I think that would've been much more hype.

I've said it before, I would rather have them take forever making this game to be perfect, which I know they'll do, than rush out a non-polished product.

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I think they should've showed more actual cutscenes or closeups. That split second when it was Sora walking toward that castle with Goofy behind was hype. To show an actual character from Tangled, instead of trailer flooded with Disneyland ride summons (largely most we had seen previously), flashing lights and fast-paced combos, would've been hype. I mean, that's a big part of what Kingdom Hearts is about, but an even bigger part is the beautiful story of friendship and all the clichés, though it may be hard to understand (most of the time). It says something about the franchise when people were pouring tears during the E3 2013 reveal. That doesn't happen often in gaming.
100% agree with all of this. I'm not even impressed by flashy gameplay. I hope it's fun, and it looks like it could be, but what's important to me is the story. This trailer was plotless and focused solely on characters who have only mattered for two games out of seven. That's anathema to me as a KH fan. I could excuse it with the original E3 trailer because that was clearly just a heads up that they were actually doing it and it was beautifully enacted with the flashbacks through the previous games.

I think a disappointment was the unfamiliarity maybe some people have with Tangled. Kingdom Hearts core has always been the classic, beloved Disney characters. I'm sitting here thinking 'Tangled, what's that?'. Imagine if that was the Robin Hood world and they actually showed Robin Hood; I think that would've been much more hype.
You're right about that. I've never seen Tangled and I don't know how anyone would have even known that field was from the movie without having been told. Using Disney iconography is a staple of the KH series; this trailer was just like, look at these wide open spaces that barely resemble the Disney worlds they're presumably taken from!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
100% agree with all of this. I'm not even impressed by flashy gameplay. I hope it's fun, and it looks like it could be, but what's important to me is the story. This trailer was plotless and focused solely on characters who have only mattered for two games out of seven. That's anathema to me as a KH fan. I could excuse it with the original E3 trailer because that was clearly just a heads up that they were actually doing it and it was beautifully enacted with the flashbacks through the previous games.

The main two reasons for that are
1st that the game is still relatively early in development, so while much of the story might already be there in concept/on paper, they haven't really implemented it yet. Not to mention Nomura is some of those developers who does the gameplay first and then builds the story around it.
2nd is that Square apparently learned from the BBS trailers. The trailers for BBS were way too story-heavy, people were able to deduce nearly the whole plot of BBS just by analyzing trailers. DDD also had this problem to a lesser degree, as they already started to roll back the story elements in the DDD trailers a little.

radiantmemories

I'm pretty sure that the attraction flows haven't replaced summons. If you watch the videos closely you'll notice that Sora uses flomotion to run up the wall and push off of it before he uses the teacup ride flomotion. It's admittedly been a while since I played KH3D, but didn't it look the same when you used the flomotion attack where ran up the wall and pushed off of it before doing an area attack on the enemies? Also, the menu is still on what I presume to be attack, though I think I saw something on here (this site) that said the HUD was just posted over the video so it might not mean anything.

Personally, I would actually be more upset if it was a flomotion the way it appears to me to be. Regular flomotion was already overpowered enough. And it would be even worse than KH2's reaction commands because unlike reaction commands attraction flow pauses the battle, which would really disrupt the flow of it.

I'm not impressed with all of the flashiness either. I think the story they showed was enough if the release is a ways off, but it seems like the gameplay didn't have a lot of substance underneath the flash. KH 2 was my least favourite game in the series (it was good but not as awesome as the rest) and KH 3 seems to be taking after its reaction command-filled battle style. I guess it's a bit early to judge, though.

Another thing I'm upset over is Sora's new looks. He looks like a bad boy, and that is just so totally not Sora. Just a few of my many problems with his new looks: his hair (looks greasy and gelled), his gloves, the upturned corners with the plaid inside, and the grey (It should just be black and red, not grey, black, and red. Grey has no part in Sora's color scheme.). Honestly, I could deal with the outfit if I had to, I guess. I just want that hair to be fixed! Err, yeah I'm a little bitter. Sorry.

BEASTENDER

@radiantmemories

I closely analyzed the trailer and noticed all of what you said before I made this thread, It's just I'm scared it doesn't have enough room for an entirely different set of summons, along with all the Disney rides. Some speculate the Pegasus like summoning was a keyblade transformation, and if that was true, that's even more summons, which lessens the odds even more. I want keyblade transformations to be primarily weapons based, and cinematic like events like the Pegasus chariot thing to be separate. After watching the spotlight last night, I'm back to believing they haven't been replaced; Nomura would have mentioned that they're the new summoning mechanic when he talked about Attraction Flow.

And while KH2 is my favorite game personally because of the fast paced and fluid gameplay, the summoning in that game was pretty limited and honestly terrible lol. Which is why I want summoning to be on an entirely different level in Kingdom Hearts 3. It's a feature I never use in KH1 or KH2, and I want that to change.

And about the flashiness, I love the flashiness of KH, but flash is completely pointless without substance; something I didn't really see i the trailer. And as for the flash, I actually pictured much better than what was shown. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it was almost the "bad" kind of flashy.

As for his appearance, I am with you. I honestly dislike everything about it lol. I look at Sora, Donald, and Goofy on the train in the D23 trailer, and then look at them here and just wonder, what happened?

Edit: Pegasus Is almost definitely a keyblade transformation after looking again, which is what I was afraid of. This lessens the chances for a dedicated summoning mechanic, and perfectly aligns with the whole, summoning will be different in KH3 comment Nomura made 2 years ago. You only get to use one keyblade, and Sora may never utilize 2 ever again (unless one transformation splits into multiple), so that means one summoning at a time (If the transformation is even a summon, which most probably want be; which is good) , and typically, you want to use the best keyblade you have over a weaker one you got near the beginning. Unless it''s like XV and you can somehow switch keyblades on the fly, combat just got a little more limited, again.

But enough "complaining" from me. Kingdom Hearts 3 will be a masterpiece!

Last edited:

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Didn't Nomura state that they chose the flashiest of scenes on purpose? In so little time for a trailer, they sure wanted to impress even "untrained" eyes, and flashiness attracts most people, together with fast movements, explosions of some kind and vivid colors. It's just natural for the human eye to be impressed by that, so it's good. Those who look at the trailer just for the sake of seeing it, those will love it. We, who look beyond these catchy things, will not be satisfied with flashiness and speed alone, we aim to decypher everything the trailer actually shows us.

One more reason for the flashiness being there is (and I think it's pretty obvious) that the shading is not completely done yet. Looking at Sora's shoe soles, as the most obvious thing, clearly shows not enough shading, as they are too plain, too white. So are the other elements in the trailer, in most parts, like parts of the flora and the models' clothes... even the models itself. Sora's hair isn't 100% done yet, we know that Square can give us the high-quality paradox of 'smooth spiky' hair, like in the KH2 ending, where Sora's and Roxas' spiky hairstyle looked fabulous lol. They are just not there yet, the shading is not finished, among other things. The shading being unfinished means the contrasts are strong, the colors are more evident, hence more flashiness.

There were parts in which Sora's hair looked good or at least acceptable, and there were parts in which is looked plain out-of-place, this is one of the parts that need not improvement, but simply just continuation of working on it. Of course they won't leave it like that. + Remember how we reacted to DDD Riku's haircut? And eventually got used to it/grew to love it? Similar situation here.

Sora needs to be different now, at least a bit more serious about everything. He thought he was good enough yet failed the Mark of Mastery exam, giving in to the darkness, almost becoming the 13th vessel. I think this stuff changed our little island boy. That was a serious problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back