• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I Hate to be That Guy, But...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Sora needs to be different now, at least a bit more serious about everything. He thought he was good enough yet failed the Mark of Mastery exam, giving in to the darkness, almost becoming the 13th vessel. I think this stuff changed our little island boy. That was a serious problem.

While I won't deny the possibility of Sora getting a bit of a different attitude for the third adventure, especially since the stakes are so much higher than in any other game before, Sora did not give in to the Darkness, it was more like he was deliberately drowned in it by outside forces like getting his head dunked forcibly into a toilet.

BEASTENDER

+ Remember how we reacted to DDD Riku's haircut? And eventually got used to it/grew to love it? Similar situation here.

I still think Riku looks pretty strange with that haircut lol At least how it looks in 3D as opposed to the 2D artwork. I greatly prefer the long hair he had in KH2, or even his KH1 hair style.

12kez90

If I remember from the interview, Sora's less "wild" hair was done on purpose by Nomura. Something about it lowering that staticness I think or something along the lines of that. Also his sleeker design was also done on purpose to match with all of the crazy movements he'll be doing in 3.
If I was to get a little more specific:
The conversation between Xehanort and Eraqus was booooring (didn't tell us anything new, didn't provide insight into the characters, didn't follow the tone of the trailer, just agh I can't with Nomura's writing atm). And they were playing some variation of chess. It was like the biggest clucking cliche. I hope that scene isn't in the actual game.
Pretty sure that's the first thing we're gonna see when we open up the game, besides the opening of course. Also as a lot of people pointed out, the chess pieces represent the seekers of darkness and guardians of light.

Last edited:

aqualight

I think a disappointment was the unfamiliarity maybe some people have with Tangled. Kingdom Hearts core has always been the classic, beloved Disney characters. I'm sitting here thinking 'Tangled, what's that?'. Imagine if that was the Robin Hood world and they actually showed Robin Hood; I think that would've been much more hype.

You're right about that. I've never seen Tangled and I don't know how anyone would have even known that field was from the movie without having been told. Using Disney iconography is a staple of the KH series; this trailer was just like, look at these wide open spaces that barely resemble the Disney worlds they're presumably taken from!

Although i may be in a completely different boat to the both you because i have watched Tangled multiple times and i thoroughly enjoyed it. So i was delighted to see it in Kingdom Hearts, especially because i thought it would be such a beautiful world to explore and work well in the context of the story. I'd say Rapunzel's tower is pretty iconic, even before Tangled. The lone tower in the middle of the forest, from what i understand, is easily recognised as so. I mean what else could it be?

I think especially now that Disney has gotten a whole lot more popular, especially after the boom that was frozen, it made sense to add worlds from newer movies as more people could recognise them. Obviously this doesn't stand for everyone hence your reactions, but if i used your example of Robin Hood, far more people would remember a more recent and by far more popular movie. Plus it can pull people interested by these recent movies into the KH universe too, don't forget. I think as a Disney franchise, it should be expected that newer additions be added, since almost every disney movie will be crowned 'classic' at some point. To put it this way; When Kingdom Hearts came out in 2002, Hercules (1997) was as old as Tangled is today, by the time the game comes out it will be older. So when KH came out i don't think anyone complained that Hercules wasn't classic enough. Just sayin'.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
While I won't deny the possibility of Sora getting a bit of a different attitude for the third adventure, especially since the stakes are so much higher than in any other game before, Sora did not give in to the Darkness, it was more like he was deliberately drowned in it by outside forces like getting his head dunked forcibly into a toilet.

my mistake, I chose the wrong words >_<

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I agree only with the statement about the graphics. They don't feel like what next-gen Kingdom Hearts is supposed to look like. They look like Kingdom Hearts became fused with the art style of Disney Infinity. There's a certain level of detail missing. The colors are too bright and flat, particularly on Donald and Goofy.

I keep saying this, but a lot of stuff, the characters and Keyblades in particular, look like "digital clay". They look cartoony, and not in the charming cel-shaded Wind Waker type of way.

Take the new Ratchet & Clank remake for PS4, for example. That game looks exactly like how it should look on PS4. It's the same art style as the PS2/PS3 games, realized to its potential on PS4.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Now look at Kingdom Hearts. The art style doesn't look the same. It looks odd.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

It doesn't look bad, something just looks off. Look at Goofy in particular. There's a lack of depth to his look, light the lighting/shading isn't all there yet, as well as texture. Which, if that's the case, it's merely a result of the game being in its early stages. However, the art style hasn't changed a ton since the initial trailer. It keeps getting more detailed, but the odd look is the same. It looks like the renderings from a children's animated movie, rather than a next-gen video game. Maybe they're trying to implement a more "Disney" look to the visuals, but it's making the KH-original characters look weird, to me.

BEASTENDER

@Nazo, Disney Infinity was the very first thing I thought of when we saw Sora close up in the trailer. I was just afraid to say it because I didn't want to be flooded with negative comments lol Goofy was also the one that stood out the most to me. I look at how he looked inside the train in the D23 trailer and he looks great. In my very honest opinion, in this trailer he looks a lot worse; almost dramatically so. They said they were going to drastically improve the graphics after we were shown the D23 trailer, but instead of heading to towards that "drastically improved" look, It looks like they took a step or two backwards. I also feel like maybe Nomura wanted to skip E3 and wait for D23, but was asked to show something. On the other hand, in the spotlight event he commented saying that they wanted to show a lot more, so maybe that's not the case.

Also...looking at the D23 trailer again, didn't the Rock Titan get smaller??

Edit: Re-watching the D23 trailer in max quality, I realize that it is the true culprit when it comes to my disappointment. Comparing them side by side, the D23 trailer looks superior when it comes to overall graphics quality and models (SDG and Heartless). The Sora of back then and the Sora of today are quite different. And it's weird; looking at the train scene in the new trailer, Sora, Donald, and Goofy again, look great. But for whatever reason their models look nothing like that in the rest of the trailer.

Last edited:

Rosebudx

Awards
I really think the weird graphics are because they don't have all the shading and fine-touching done yet. The scene with the train and from D23 were PC-rendered, right? The rest of these were rough because they're still early in development. It looks like they used the base animations or a couple steps up from it for this trailer, meaning they have plenty of room to grow it into something better.

All of you who haven't yet seen Tangled, I highly recommend it. It's far superior to Frozen imo, and one of my favorite Disney films. The tower is a dead giveaway that SDG are in Tangled's world once you've seen the film.

I really hope I'm right about the graphics and that I don't end up eating my words in a couple of years T_T

Anagram

Banned
The main two reasons for that are
1st that the game is still relatively early in development, so while much of the story might already be there in concept/on paper, they haven't really implemented it yet. Not to mention Nomura is some of those developers who does the gameplay first and then builds the story around it.
2nd is that Square apparently learned from the BBS trailers. The trailers for BBS were way too story-heavy, people were able to deduce nearly the whole plot of BBS just by analyzing trailers. DDD also had this problem to a lesser degree, as they already started to roll back the story elements in the DDD trailers a little.

While it's true trailers have been to story revealing for years I can't help but point out BBS's major plot points have been figured out on this site since the secret trailer of KH2FM. lol (the Terra>Xehanort Ven>Roxas parts)

Neo_

Awards
Although i may be in a completely different boat to the both you because i have watched Tangled multiple times and i thoroughly enjoyed it. So i was delighted to see it in Kingdom Hearts, especially because i thought it would be such a beautiful world to explore and work well in the context of the story. I'd say Rapunzel's tower is pretty iconic, even before Tangled. The lone tower in the middle of the forest, from what i understand, is easily recognised as so. I mean what else could it be?

I think especially now that Disney has gotten a whole lot more popular, especially after the boom that was frozen, it made sense to add worlds from newer movies as more people could recognise them. Obviously this doesn't stand for everyone hence your reactions, but if i used your example of Robin Hood, far more people would remember a more recent and by far more popular movie. Plus it can pull people interested by these recent movies into the KH universe too, don't forget. I think as a Disney franchise, it should be expected that newer additions be added, since almost every disney movie will be crowned 'classic' at some point. To put it this way; When Kingdom Hearts came out in 2002, Hercules (1997) was as old as Tangled is today, by the time the game comes out it will be older. So when KH came out i don't think anyone complained that Hercules wasn't classic enough. Just sayin'.
Good point.

I have no issue with Tangled being a world in the game, just with E3's sole purpose being hype, they could've definitely chosen a better world to advertise (maybe).

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Good point.

I have no issue with Tangled being a world in the game, just with E3's sole purpose being hype, they could've definitely chosen a better world to advertise (maybe).

I dunno. Tangled has been a decently requested world for a while. I know my three most wanted worlds in KH3 are Frozen, Tangled, and Toy Story. So, I'm hyped for one of my favorites being confirmed.

If they really wanted to drive hype, they should've announced Frozen or Toy Story, though. If Pixar worlds don't end up in KH3, I will honestly be baffled. In this day and age, what's stopping them from doing it?

Echoecho6

Awards
I dunno. Tangled has been a decently requested world for a while. I know my three most wanted worlds in KH3 are Frozen, Tangled, and Toy Story. So, I'm hyped for one of my favorites being confirmed.

If they really wanted to drive hype, they should've announced Frozen or Toy Story, though. If Pixar worlds don't end up in KH3, I will honestly be baffled. In this day and age, what's stopping them from doing it?

Well I would say the only thing stopping them from doing it now is, keeping Kingdom Hearts on Disney only properties rather then branching out to those other ones like Pixar. It has always only been strictly Disney made so I can see why they wouldn't wanna keep that routine for at least the final game in this saga.

Kurdistan

I really don't like the rollercoaster stuff. No matter how much I try to like it, I can't. I don't mind it in a specific setting, but universe-wide? No.

And I really hope the world's aren't empty and void of life like previous games. After seeing stuff like Assassin's Creed and GTA with their living, breathing worlds, it's really hard going back to Kingdom Hearts and it's beautifully moribund settings.

Anagram

Banned
I really don't like the rollercoaster stuff. No matter how much I try to like it, I can't. I don't mind it in a specific setting, but universe-wide? No.

And I really hope the world's aren't empty and void of life like previous games. After seeing stuff like Assassin's Creed and GTA with their living, breathing worlds, it's really hard going back to Kingdom Hearts and it's beautifully moribund settings.
Funny you mention that. I've been steamrolling through Assassins Creed 1 through 4 lately and I think I might actually welcome a world where I didn't run into someone every 5 seconds. lol

Of course I still want supposedly inhabited places like towns to be full of people. At least make some sense Nomura/Dev teams/Se/whoever the fuck leaves worlds empty.

BEASTENDER

Funny you mention that. I've been steamrolling through Assassins Creed 1 through 4 lately and I think I might actually welcome a world where I didn't run into someone every 5 seconds. lol

Of course I still want supposedly inhabited places like towns to be full of people. At least make some sense Nomura/Dev teams/Se/whoever the diddly leaves worlds empty.

Another hype moment of the trailer (when he jumped off the cliff), but when I paused it and really looked, it looked empty and kind of bland...I don't want huge empty worlds. But I also don't want to be flooded with heartless at every turn either. And in places like that, you can't exactly place a lot of NPC characters. I still trust by the end, the worlds will be more put together, like XV.

Good point.

I'm in such agreement. See, take a world like Fro***. As much as I dislike that movie, I wouldn't mind it being a world because it would make a lot of fans happy, and them being that happy makes me happy too (Just pleeeease Sora, don't sing again...KH2 Atlantica pretty much speaks for itself). But Tangled, Frozen, and Brave all have an air of controversy about them. All 3 are similar and have that "new Disney smell". These 3 movies greatly differ from the Disney movies that came before. A lot of people don't particularly care for them (Fro*** being the exception of the three). That's why when someone made a thread about a KH3 demo and the featured world being Brave, I said I doubt that would ever be the case. I said it's just not as popular as many other Disney films that have yet to make the cut, and it wouldn't have a big enough impact for the first new world reveal, and after such a long absence. Personally, I've seen all 3 and they are the only Disney movies I've never watched a second time.

None of them are bad movies by any means, I just don't particularly like this new style Disney has adapted (for those 3 anyway, can't vouch for some of the newer stuff since I haven't seen them yet). Pixar has long since moved to 3D and I thoroughly enjoy most of their productions, so me clinging to the old isn't the reason why I dislike these films. In Fro***'s case, I only saw it because of a ridiculous amount of hype the fans created. Because of such huge expectations going in, it was remarkably average to me, but the dislike stems from not being able to get away from it (Its songs, its references, its very hyper fans, and so on)

But on the topic of Tangled, is it bad that I'd much rather fight alongside a horse with a sword in his mouth than that version of Rapunzel? lol At least...I think that was Tangled. I only saw the movie once, and that was when it was released. Sorry if I'm confusing the horse with another movie.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Well I would say the only thing stopping them from doing it now is, keeping Kingdom Hearts on Disney only properties rather then branching out to those other ones like Pixar. It has always only been strictly Disney made so I can see why they wouldn't wanna keep that routine for at least the final game in this saga.
Pffft. You think Nightmare Before Christmas had a giant Disney logo on its opening credits? That was courtesy of Disney's subsidiary, Touchstone Pictures.
Not to mention, Buzz and Woody models linger in the data of KH2.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
My literal only problem with the content shown thus far is that there are too many moves shown that kind of take your control away. Sora flying around in a chariot or a roller coaster aren't exactly different, one is just literally less vertically impressive. It's just a lot of moves that do damage in a wide area by moving around a lot, but they're not TECHNICALLY distinct. Same with the teacups. The most limited is the ship, that just flies up and down. If the roller coaster could be dynamically controlled, I'd be happy. Otherwise, I absolutely loved the new trailer. I love Sora's new, shorter, KH1-brown hair. I love the worlds, the giant area, free-running, and dynamic movement. Disney rides coulda been really neat, but they're pretty dumb IMO

Guard the Light

As far as the Disneyland rides go, I think it's a really interesting design. It seems that some of soras master level light powers (how he summons them, the animation, the color, they seem to be indistinct of the world at times so possibly you can use the ship in various worlds, albeit one was connected to the keyblade, I doubt the teacups is a TT exclusive). I've always liked the "sora is kairis prince" underlying Disney narrative, so him having light powers based on Disneyland rides (the original park) is a treat.

kingsoraful

Awards
Pffft. You think Nightmare Before Christmas had a giant Disney logo on its opening credits? That was courtesy of Disney's subsidiary, Touchstone Pictures.
Not to mention, Buzz and Woody models linger in the data of KH2.

Exactly, they were supposed to be summons. Jungle Book as well was supposed to be a world in BBS but was scrapped.

IMO I think they're gonna have a various distinction of worlds.

My wish is for new worlds...

Old School Disney like Robin Hood, Jungle Book, Sword in the Stone or Black Cauldron
Pixar: Toy Story and The Incredibles
New Disney : Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Frozen, Wreck it Ralph

As much as it pains me I do see them incorporating things from Star Wars and Marvel.

That doesn't include the obvious choices returning like Agrabah, BATB(w/Gaston), Hercules, etc.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Hopefully those flashy ride moves are really specials moves because if I need to do them consistently to win fights, the novelty will wear off on me quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back