• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I hate timed tests

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
In what field of academics is your ability to think about a set of problems necessarily circumscribed within 35 minutes or it doesn't count? Is there a field where you can validly say "If I can't figure something out within 35 minutes, I give up!" and that's a positive thing? Or is there some kind of tv-episode alternate-universe where this is actually a useful skill, where you have to solve the complex problem within 35 minutes OR PEOPLE DIE!!!

diddly timed tests.

/rant

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I hate closed-book examinations more than that. Seriously, in professional fields, people will still need to refer to source materials to come up with best judgment. You don't refer, you're going to have a hard time, especially in medical and engineering settings.

Closed-book exams are there for bragging rights only, that those who aced them have a superior capacity of memorising stuff. I hate them.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
how can they test then while keeping it fair? some people have to go to other places and can't sit around until they figure out an answer. that's why there's a scheduled time. it's logistics and not just used as a barometer for competence in what you are being tested on.

its not like all the time in the world is going to get you the right answer if you simply don't know it.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
dammit jeels, if I'd wanted a reasonable answer, I would have posted this in intel.

But I imagine you're right. And the tests probably do provide an accurate measure of something (what kinds of knowledge you can pull off the top of your head), they're just not designed for you to actually sit down and think about the problems, which I often have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back