• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I got fired today

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Not really looking for support. Just a rant.
I got fired from my job today.
Was told there was too many staff and was let go. Didn't really get why.

Manager says I can work my shift next week but won't be renewed. Don't plan to go in tbh.

First permanent job and lost within three months . Can't believe it.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
In Ontario 3 months is the cut off to fire someone without reason. They might just do that to keep costs low for wages?

What a bullshit time of year to let you go though.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Sorry to hear. :(
I know that Starbucks does this shit a lot. Always keep people for like 2.5 months and then kick them out saying they "didn't work well enough". -.-
Also that one sandwich place...Subway?

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Sorry Noir.
Same thing happened to my mother which she worked at this dry cleaners nearby and was fired for some pretty stupid reason. Sucks seeing it's on a holiday too. :(
You have every right to rant about it cause it of course is a bunch of bull.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'm sorry. I hope you'll find another job you like soon.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Sorry to hear Noir. It's a sad, cruel reality of life that sometimes we get relieved of duty. If it helps, just know many have faced this very same situation.

In Ontario 3 months is the cut off to fire someone without reason. They might just do that to keep costs low for wages?

Come to California. We have employment at will; hire-and-fire anyone without reason 24/7.

What a bullshit time of year to let you go though.

Yes and no. Yes, because it's the holidays. The last thing you want to worry about before the presents, parties you'll attend, and food to cook for this holiday is to find a new job. No, because this is when a lot of companies shift gears. It's a good time to recruit new people in the new year if your business/firm is expanding. Hopefully Noir can land something better than the previous job.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Very much appreciated. I really need to confess that I was half-cut at the time of writing this. Went out for dinner and drinks with friends, but it was still on my mind.

It is unfortunately a case that affects a lot of people. The problem though is that I feel that the manager has indicated that it was just me that will be let go. Her reasoning was that I ask a lot of questions. Which I suppose is true. In three months working there, there are still cases that baffled me. The thing is - every case I asked others on, they didn't know. Yesterday she told me I should know these, but in many cases, she had no idea either. She also states I've done things I know I've not done.

I asked how I worked the copy machine, because well, I've never used the copy machine before.
"Yes you have" is what she said.

I didn't know where to submit documents because there are so many piles and I've never had to accept documents by hand before.
"Yes you have".

I also feel kind of annoyed because I actually did my job. As much as I love my friend who started working at the same time, he doesn't actually do anything. He was not on the rota for a good few weeks, of which he also doesn't know why as he never asked for time off. Plus he has been caught doing nothing but sit on his phone, and not answer any enquiry calls on numerous occasions. One other girl admitted to just dodging the calls too. That's something that really bothers me. A lot of the staff seem to not care.

When I asked why in particular, she said the quality of my work was fine, but referred to one incident last week. The incident in question went like this:

• Guy comes in, asks to have something copied and submitted
  • I copy it, give the guy his original, he leaves
  • Ask senior staff where to submit it. I'm told we "can't take it", as it says it has to be submitted directly to the school via email. As a result, we're not even allowed to have it, as it says on the paper itself. I decide if it's sensitive data we shouldn't have, I should put it in the shredder box. This isn't a shredder. It's a box where we put sensitive data for shredding from an outside company.
  • Other department comes over, demanding this copy. I tell her I put it in the box. She freaks, demanding why, so I explain that the senior staff member told me. We then rectify it by opening the box, and getting it back out. Document is handed over, that was it.

When I told her that I was following procedures for Data Protection, she admitted it was right but said it was a "special case" that I clearly couldn't have known about. In the end, what's happened happened, but it still feels incredibly shitty. She decided to tell me before my shifts next week because she didn't want to "ruin christmas", which she kinda already did. She also probably doesn't realise that it's also my birthday in 2 days. Regardless, the time of the year doesn't really matter. The silver lining I want to take from this is I learned more, made some money and now I get more time for university work. People were warning me against working during my honours year, and I can see why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back