• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I can't go to school because I'm 18?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
Just a small rant about what I've been told yesterday.

Apparently because I'm 18, I cannot go to public school anymore. Now, I know I'm not the best kid in the world. I didn't make the perfect grades, I didn't even finish my last month of school, and I barely even paid attention in class when/if I did. That still doesn't give them the right to just tell me I cannot go to school. I was planning on passing this year and going to college next year. I had planned my whole future based upon going back to school in August. They even sent my report card saying "Your child will be in 12th grade the following school year" in June. When in the world did they decide this?

My mother posted on facebook about this. She has a few teachers of the county added and they commented saying that this was something new that they hadn't heard of. The principal's excuse for not allowing me? He would have to allow all the trouble making 18 year olds who want to learn back in.

As my fellow posters, I ask of you. Were they right in baring my access to public education?

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
I plan on it, definitely. Monday I am going to call the Board of Education. Tuesday is when I'm supposed to sign up. If my friend who is 18, went to school almost every day, and made good grades, gets in I am definitely going to be pissed.

metrifyx

The principal's excuse for not allowing me? He would have to allow all the trouble making 18 year olds who want to learn back in.

This is insane. First of all, if they caused that much trouble, they would be expelled. Yeah, people aren't going to always make your life easier. That doesn't mean that you can not let them come back into school. Second, if these eighteen year-olds want to learn, they've obviously changed and don't want to start stuff. They won't cause trouble in the first place. It sounds like your principal is doing this out of spite for some of the kids who made his life more difficult, which is a really immature decision. I would definitely talk to your superintendent/council/mayor/representative/whatever about this. I don't care if he's your principal or not, you have the right to a public education until you're at least 21, and I don't see why you can't get a second chance.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
This is insane. First of all, if they caused that much trouble, they would be expelled. Yeah, people aren't going to always make your life easier. That doesn't mean that you can not let them come back into school. Second, if these eighteen year-olds want to learn, they've obviously changed and don't want to start stuff. They won't cause trouble in the first place. It sounds like your principal is doing this out of spite for some of the kids who made his life more difficult, which is a really immature decision. I would definitely talk to your superintendent/council/mayor/representative/whatever about this. I don't care if he's your principal or not, you have the right to a public education until you're at least 21, and I don't see why you can't get a second chance.

I can tell you that most of the kids who are 18 at this time were in his classes most likely. He used to be a teacher before he became an administrator. Then he became principal this year.

metrifyx

I can tell you that most of the kids who are 18 at this time were in his classes most likely. He used to be a teacher before he became an administrator. Then he became principal this year.

That explains it, then. He's just pissed at some of the students in your age group and doesn't want them back in. That's plain selfish and immature.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
So because of his own qualms with people of the same age in the past, he's denying you your education? How childish. You would think someone in that position would know better. He cannot hold you back from re-entering the school. All you would have to do is talk to the Department of Education or whatever it may be called there, and they would have to renounce any of these ridiculous claims that this principal is making and also allow you back into that school. If the principal continues to take further action, then logically his position should be renounced as well and given to someone much more suitable.

ChaoticHeart

Wandering aimlessly through the blind eternities..
Bring the problem to the School Board, I don't know how highschool works for you guys, but over here each school has a kind of Board of Directors, in which the principal is only a small part of so he dosen't hold much sway. I know people who have had troubles like yours who went to the school board first instead of going directly to the Board of Education.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
This happened frequently at my school. If for whatever reason students weren't in school for extended periods of time (sickness, etc, etc) and wanted to return, most kids wound up in night school even after going through the school board.

D

Deleted member 36435

I'm pretty sure in New Jersey you are allowed to attend until you are 4 years older than whatever grade level you are in.

I had a similar situation because of my absences. They said I'd be passing because of my home instruction and me making up all the work. I had doctor's note for every absence and I have a 504 plan in place in case of this. Then when my mother goes in to drop off paperwork they tell her I won't be going into senior year and I will have to repeat all of my classes. Turns out they misplaced 2 months of doctor's notes and are trying to pin it on us. So, pretty much counselors and administration (just like the ones on khilolol) are incompetent and you need to be a pain in there ass until they have to give you a valid reason.

O

Oberon

All I gotta say: welcome to America :(

That's pretty much insane. Students can't be "denied" their education. I would ask him specifically how he has the power to do this and then consult the BOE which you're already doing.

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
Where are you from?
In my school, there were juniors who were 18. (I just graduated at 17)
This seems weird to me, I've never heard of something like this.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
wtf
Legally, you are allowed to attend High School until the age 20. Then, when you're 21, you can't be there anymore (I assume students who start the year as 20 can finish as 21). Since you are 18, the school is legally obligated to let you in if you want to be there. The only time I see them being able to not let you is if there is a serious criminal record, or repeated school suspensions/expulsions, or your part (which I am sure isn't so).

Just contact the School District, or some other higher ups than the principal, and you should be able to get back in.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Fight this. Go to the school board and fight it to get back in. That is complete bull and he's abusing his power.

Awards
Apparently because I'm 18, I cannot go to public school anymore. Now, I know I'm not the best kid in the world. I didn't make the perfect grades, I didn't even finish my last month of school, and I barely even paid attention in class when/if I did. That still doesn't give them the right to just tell me I cannot go to school.

I don't think this has to do with the fact that you're 18. Since you're 18, it may give them the ability to do this (not really sure what the law is), but my guess would be that it has to do with your extended absences. The Board of Education decides the attendance policy in your city/county, and there are likely certain penalties for an extended absence. It is at their discretion, and I would assume they made this decision because your grades aren't that great (sometimes they turn a blind eye when a student compensates for absences with good grades).

I'm not sure whether or not a principal has the ability to do that on their own (though they do have a managerial position, meaning they have influence over admission), but I'd figure they would at least have to consult the superintendent (/Chief Education Officer).

But, yeah, you should bring your case before the Board of Education.

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
Go to the school board office, posting on facebook won't do shit about this problem. Go there and state your case and if you don't get back in school, give them a lawsuit with the Board of Education. And if that fails just go to another school in another district. D:

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
I didn't make the perfect grades, I didn't even finish my last month of school, and I barely even paid attention in class when/if I did.

They have every right to do what they did. Why should they waste their time and energy on someone that isn't grateful for their services?

noheartx

They have every right to do what they did. Why should they waste their time and energy on someone that isn't grateful for their services?

you would think thatthe school wouldnt do that though. I mean it's their job to teach kids, and that kinda sends out a bad message. Also, can they just randomly expell you in the summer? That seems kinda odd.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The best thing to do is fight the system but if things don't work just go to another school where you don't have to deal with crap like that.

you would think thatthe school wouldnt do that though. I mean it's their job to teach kids, and that kinda sends out a bad message. Also, can they just randomly expell you in the summer? That seems kinda odd.

Lol, yes they can. I was randomly expelled from my middle school on the basis I didn't live in the district anymore despite the fact I only lived fifteen minutes away from the school and the only way I could stay if if I went to an after school program for kids who had no place to go after school. :| Then in high school I was declared a dropout because I didn't attend the public school I signed up for after a year even though I informed the school I wouldn't attend and was attending private school.

There is no rhyme or reason to why school districts do the things they do.

noheartx

oh i hate all that district crap. I know a bunch of kids who go to my school from the town over because our school system is a lot better. You would think the school would overlook that stuff so they could get an education but no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back