• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I Am Setsuna; CT battle system; old skool rpg goodness. Out NOW.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I'm surprised that I haven't seen a thread on this yet.

I preordered it a while ago (it's only published by Square; I was sad kitty that it didn't have a physical release but que serra serra); been playing it a couple days. It's a lot of fun so far.

I don't know if Setsuna is going to succeed or not yet (Bro thinks she'll get saved, we'll see); Anyway am I alone with Zephy in playing this game?

Oh and if you're curious, it's for PS4 and Steam. ^^

tiofrodo

So 10 hours in and I am pretty disappointed actually, if you have no nostalgia for Chrono Trigger's combat i would find it hard to recommend it to you.
I can understand some people liking it, but for me it is a 5/10 at best.

EchoFringe49

I was planning on getting this day one but it costs $60 in Australia, doesn't seem to be worth that much based on the short length. I'm gonna wait until its under $40

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I have been enjoying this game to the hilt actually. But then I have a soft spot for CT and its battle system, and I love me some old skool rpg. Ya don't see much of this anymore. Just got the airship and am flying around to unlock me some locked chests.

That said, I don't regret laying down the money for the PSN store cards; a suggestion for a budget cruncher, check around for sales on PSN store cards! Also, it will prolly go on sale on Steam sooner or later so if you can't find any good PSN Store card sales, that might be a option. I won't say about the PSN Store, but I don't know if they have sales. I know Steam does. ^^

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I have been enjoying this game to the hilt actually. But then I have a soft spot for CT and its battle system, and I love me some old skool rpg. Ya don't see much of this anymore. Just got the airship and am flying around to unlock me some locked chests.

That said, I don't regret laying down the money for the PSN store cards; a suggestion for a budget cruncher, check around for sales on PSN store cards! Also, it will prolly go on sale on Steam sooner or later so if you can't find any good PSN Store card sales, that might be a option. I won't say about the PSN Store, but I don't know if they have sales. I know Steam does. ^^

PSN has sales all the time, but I Am Sestina won't be on sale for quite a while, being that it is so new. If anyone want's to pick it up for cheaper, follow Mary's advice and look for PSN cards that are on sale.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Originally I was going to get Deus Ex: Mankind Divided after completing Dark Souls III and Bloodborne`s dlc, but got I am Setsuna instead. Guess I was graving for some old fashioned JRPG after that.

Anyways, I have now played a few hours and I am really liking what I am seeing. The world looks very pretty and the piano songs really fit into the snowy landscape. I am also liking the characters, how they have hand drawn art as avatars when they speak and old more retro looking icons at the game menus.

The combat really reminds me of Chrono Trigger, which is a good thing since I really liked that game`s gameplay. The silent protagonist Endir also reminds me of Crono.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Completed the story last night and I really liked it. The story gave me Final Fantasy X vibes because at times they felt a bit similar, and I got some Chrono Trigger vibes also from it. I liked all of the main characters and enjoyed seeing them go trough this journey.
There are some post game side-quests that I am thinking of doing. I also want to see some of the more powerful techs and combos the characters can learn.

One negative thing I felt was that they recycled the same dungeons a bit too many times. An ice cave and an a maze floating in space loses it`s interest when you have seen it 3 - 4 times before. I loved the piano ost but I felt at times that it did not have enough intensity or power when it came to boss themes. Despite these little negatives I really recommend this game if old school JRPG`s are your thing. I am Setsuna might not be the most original one when it comes to the story, but it`s still good. The visuals and the world feels unique.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
They messed up, again. Developing this game was a great decision. But it's like they went out of their way to not tell people about it. It was released with no fanfare whatsoever and didn't even get a physical release outside of Japan. I really think this game could have been a commercial hit with the right marketing!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I agree with you Magnus. Tho I am first to admit, this game DOES have quite a few flaws, but I had a good time with it!

I highly recommend if you like some old skool rpg action. ^^ Just don't expect a classic, this was RPG Factory's first outing.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I agree with you Magnus. Tho I am first to admit, this game DOES have quite a few flaws, but I had a good time with it!

I highly recommend if you like some old skool rpg action. ^^ Just don't expect a classic, this was RPG Factory's first outing.

Yeah, it certainly isn't a classic by any means, but it really nails that old school feel regardless. It's quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back