• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I alone can not take the scene where Sora releases her heart as dramatic, considering that Roxas has?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Nukara

Awards
I caught myself thinking that the scenes from KH1 did not cause me any feedback. The same scene with the farewell of Sora and Kairi at the end passed by me, because I had no emotional connection with Kairi as a character. The same thing with the scene which is often called as very dramatic, did not cause me the proper effect, as the scene where Sora lets her heart out for Kairi, but since it gave birth to Roxas I can no longer perceive this scene as dramatic. I have one such?

okhi12

Awards
It was much more dramatic when the game came out and we knew nothing about Roxas and Naminé. Sora became a heartless and we didn't know what would happen next. I remember when I played chain of memories for the first time. Larxene told Sora that he was a heartless hero and I thought that maybe Kairi didn't fully restore Sora, that he would become a heartless again. Back then I believed that the organisation was planning to turn Sora into a heartless again and he would become a darkside, haha. I miss those good old times.
I kinda agree that it doesn't seem so dramatic now, because Roxas and Naminé exist because of that moment and thus it had a positive consequence. I wonder if the next time I replay BBS Terra, Aqua and Ven's fate will look less dramatic now that we know what happens. Same for Roxas, Xion and Naminé. It is easy to relativize things when you know how the events unfold, you have to remember the meaning those scenes had when the games were released in order to give them the importance they deserve.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean a child stabbed himself in the heart to save his friend. That to me is still a dramatic moment for Sora even if we get like 50 other character sacrificing themselves for someone else later on.

CutiePique

Awards
The information that Roxas is created from Sora's sacrifice in that scene has... no effect on the impact of that scene for me. Probably because it changes nothing about Sora's motivation: he doesn't know in the moment that this will create Roxas, he doesn't even know about nobodies... all he knows is doing this will free Kairi's heart and that's why he does it. (...Now that I've said this, please Nomura, this is not a dare. Don't recontextualize and change Sora's motives for this moment, PLEASE.)

I admit there are times when future information takes away the impact of an early scene in a work, but I really don't see this as one of them; there's just additional information about it that we know now.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I don't really get how? The scene itself is so emotional. The way that he naively picks up the keyblade, smiles at Donald and Goofy, then stabs himself... it always hits me hard. What I loved about KH1 was Sora's innocence and the fact that he didn't know what would happen, but was willing to do it anyway for Kairi really is powerful to me, especially after the whole game built up to that moment. It wasn't just find and save Kairi physically, he had to sacrifice himself for her, it wasn't a fight he had to win.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
KH1's scenes can't be affected by KH2's story, nor can KH2's scenes be affected by KH3. These games only exist in the time that they came out, for me. That's why 0.2's elaboration on KH1's ending was worthless to me, because in my mind, KH1 exists in a vacuum, where there is no Aqua, there is no Roxas, and there is no Xehanort.

Callbacks are different though. KH2 can call back to KH1, and it'll feel special and important and cohesive. But yeah, you can't really change how I feel about old games with new ones.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
KH1's scenes can't be affected by KH2's story, nor can KH2's scenes be affected by KH3. These games only exist in the time that they came out, for me. That's why 0.2's elaboration on KH1's ending was worthless to me, because in my mind, KH1 exists in a vacuum, where there is no Aqua, there is no Roxas, and there is no Xehanort.

Callbacks are different though. KH2 can call back to KH1, and it'll feel special and important and cohesive. But yeah, you can't really change how I feel about old games with new ones.
Even knowing that Aqua was right behind the door and bought Riku time to get to it... that doesn't even really affect KH1 at all. It's a fun little tidbit, nothing more. I don't think that the game was even trying to change the ending of KH1, I think it was a nice way of pointing out how close Aqua was to escape, but then again sacrificing herself.

But yeah, I agree with your point. None of the new revelations in future games affect how I feel about past ones. Like me knowing the true purpose of the Organization doesn't make me play CoM, KH2, and Days like "this is all pointless".

Back